A manager's coaching philosophies vs a club's player development structure. Is the EPL money train pissing over youth development?

Dolly Potter MD

Point in case being Allardyce and West Ham and the need to bounce back and survive, and with it the contrast in football philosphies that exist between Big Sam and that of Tony Carr, is the biggest mismatch in the English game at this moment. Especially so considering the rich East London/Essex talent pool they have to draw from.

Zola, with his respect for technique-based football and his direction was an expansion of him as player, was a good fit. Redknapp likewise, and he was the figure who really shook-up their youth set-up in the 90's, when a fresh injection of direction was needed. Even under Roeder, when they went down, they stayed true to Greenwood's words as to the on-field values that will keep bringing Hammers' supporters through the gates.

As a sidepoint i've always had respect for the Hammers football culture, and that respect grew further nearly a decade ago when they went down, playing football and staying faithful to that culture. Likewise i have alot of time for West Brom's deviation from a safer 'survival-at-all-costs' approach.

The task of regaining and the continued maintaining of premiership revenues was the major factor in Big Sam getting the post. Allardyce will provide West Ham with what he delivered at Blackburn, that being likely promotion and survival-based football and retention of the club's top flight status, and with it a continued slice of the television revenue pie. All this comes at the expense of pissing all over a proud club tradition, namely the efforts (re:player development of upper tier raw talent) of the Carr and the Academy.

Under Big Sam, or the drastic switch in direction on the part of the club, West Ham has lost it's official moniker of "The Academy of Football" in my eyes. He's the anti-thesis of the foundation that Greenwood & Carr built. As a player devolopment blooding ground, at the 1st-team level, it's now an the abbotoire. For reasons, that are based purely on football alone, i'm rooting for a non-promotion season for the Hammers.

Edited by Dolly Potter MD

Point in case being Allardyce and West Ham and the need to bounce and survive, and with it the contrast in football philosphies that exist between Big Sam and that of Tony Carr, is the biggest mismatch in the English game at this moment. Especially so considering the rich East London/Essex talent pool they have to draw from.

Zola, with his respect for technique-based football and his direction was an expansion of him as player, was a good fit. Redknapp likewise, and he was the figure who really shook-up their youth set-up in the 90's, when a fresh injection of direction was needed. Even under Roeder, when they went down, they stayed true to Greenwood's words as to the on-field values will keep bringing Hammers' supporters through the gates.

As a sidepoint i've always had respect for the Hammers football culture, and that respect grew further nearly a decade ago when they went down, playing football and staying faithful to that culture. Likewise i have alot of time for West Brom's deviation from a safer 'survival-at-all-costs' approach.

The task of regaining and the continued maintaining of premiership revenues was the major factor in Big Sam getting the post. Allardyce will provide West Ham with what he delivered at Blackburn, that being likely promotion and survival-based football and retention of the club's top flight status, and with it a continued slice of the television revenue pie. All this comes at the expense of pissing all over a proud club tradition, namely the efforts (re:player development of upper tier raw talent) of the Carr and the Academy.

Under Big Sam, or the switch in direction, West Ham has unofficially lost it's official moniker of "The Academy" in my eyes. He's the anti-thesis to the foundation that Greenwood & Carr built. As a player devolopment blooding ground, at the 1st-team level, it's now an the abbotoire. For reasons, that are based purely on football alone, i'm rooting for a non-promotion season for the Hammers.

They need a Dutch manager who understands how to work a system from the ground up 13yr olds through to first team. Eng managers are generally shit at that kind of thing.

Aside from keeping up with my usually shite standard of posting, i've thrown this in the wrong forum. I was at forum jumping at the time, and forgot to switch back to the footy one.

Mods: switch it to the appropriate forum.

Done, despite your lack of manners! :razz:

Aside from keeping up with my usually shite standard of posting, i've thrown this in the wrong forum. I was at forum jumping at the time, and forgot to switch back to the footy one.

Mods: switch it to the appropriate forum.

Done, despite your lack of manners! :razz:

Thank you dear.

..... better yet, for the sake of freeing up some bandwidth, just delete the thread & OP.