Refereeing

Guest CabayeAye

Guest CabayeAye

Yesterday I did something that I've never done before - I reffed the first half of a match. Some points I noticed.

1. It's almost impossible to see offsides from behind the line of defence. The linesmen need to be on the ball and communicate well with the ref.

2. The view from TV is so much better than on the ground. Even when watching from fairly close up, it's easy to miss people clipping other players.

3. The ref ALWAYS gets stick for borderline decisions. I booked someone after about 2 minutes for gobbing off. It also takes the patience of a saint not to punch players. I think I'd bollocked half of the players for backchat by halftime!

I think for top level matches there should be a TV ref watching the match who can advise the ref via an earpiece. It's just insane to expect a human to see every occurence and get every decision right from a very low down viewpoint potentially on the other side of the pitch. Also, the linesmen need to be spot on, and I'd be tempted to permanently assign teams of refs and linesmen who work together.

Anyone else tried reffing?

Dodgy decisions are one of the the best things about the game.

Otherwise, why have a ref on the pitch at all, getting in the way of the ball and players as they do? Why not have a big klaxon and jumbotrons to award decisions?

Dodgy decisions are one of the the best things about the game.

Otherwise, why have a ref on the pitch at all, getting in the way of the ball and players as they do? Why not have a big klaxon and jumbotrons to award decisions?

Dodgy decisions can ruin games. :jesuswept:

Yesterday I did something that I've never done before - I reffed the first half of a match. Some points I noticed.

1. It's almost impossible to see offsides from behind the line of defence. The linesmen need to be on the ball and communicate well with the ref.

2. The view from TV is so much better than on the ground. Even when watching from fairly close up, it's easy to miss people clipping other players.

3. The ref ALWAYS gets stick for borderline decisions. I booked someone after about 2 minutes for gobbing off. It also takes the patience of a saint not to punch players. I think I'd bollocked half of the players for backchat by halftime!

I think for top level matches there should be a TV ref watching the match who can advise the ref via an earpiece. It's just insane to expect a human to see every occurence and get every decision right from a very low down viewpoint potentially on the other side of the pitch. Also, the linesmen need to be spot on, and I'd be tempted to permanently assign teams of refs and linesmen who work together.

Anyone else tried reffing?

Aye, you're just shit.

I ref 5 a-side and Sunday league.

The Saturday leagues in and around London don't have linesmen, which means every decision is on the ref.

I've not done it myself but that would be impossible to get consistently right.

The more you do, the more you see and the more you know how to handle situations. I haven't booked anyone in the last three games I've reffed and have probably only dished out 12 cards all season.