Laptops

LeazesMag

I've had desktop PC's since the days of Ms-Dos 5, and an internet connection since 56k modems, but I've never had a laptop and never wanted one. I still prefer a proper desktop PC, and I've got my current one using windows xp and a spare one with decent spec also using windows xp.

But I'm thinking about getting a laptop, so I can take it away with me etc. I am not paying for a new one because essentially I still prefer a desktop and probably always will, I hate that pad that you use instead of a mouse for starters - I would continue using a mouse. I'm not bothered about high spec or anything, just so long as it has windows xp and the web is fairly quick and efficient.

So does anybody know any places in town that sell 2nd hand good condition laptops ? There was a few places that did this when I lived in Scarborough, so surely there will be such a place in Newcastle?

If I get one, what will I need to get the internet, either sitting in my house or someone else's ? Will it have a built in dongle or whatever ? What if I use it in a house which doesn't have a PC in it, which I will ?

I'm not bothered about high spec or anything, just so long as it has windows xp and the web is fairly quick and efficient.

Might be best to look at the chip speed first of all, perhaps a i3 or a refurbed i5, then go for the o/s. xp is good, but Window 7 is better.

Also memory is a good pointer, at least 4mb ram, and check that it can expand upto at least 8mb for future expansion.

Another thing is check the battery life - you don't want something that goes flat after 2 hours, most good laptops have about 4 hours in them.

As well as the above - check to see what ports the laptop has - try to find one with a built in HDMI port - then you can stream HD straight to a compatible TV.

Try ebuyer.co.uk and currys / pcworld as from time to time they have refurbed ones for sale.

If I get one, what will I need to get the internet, either sitting in my house or someone else's ? Will it have a built in dongle or whatever ? What if I use it in a house which doesn't have a PC in it, which I will ?

Most laptops come with wireless built in - so you should know about that already.

Now roaming the internet - you'll have to check, but 3 do a good tariff (last time I checked - it was £15 all in) - but the transfer rates will be shite.

Hope this helps,

Keeping it B&W,

SCT

Edited by south_cheshire_toon

small shop near where I live has 2 for sale. One has windows 7, HD ready, 2 gigs RAM and a 220 gig Hard drive {I think he said that] for £150 quid second hand.

If this is the going rate I'm more than happy with that, and said I would think about it.

As I said, this is only a laptop for mainly internet use only, so I don't need spare hard disk space or anything, although I suppose I could use it as additional backup along with my external hard drive which is also only about 30% full of music and backup files.

Thanks for the info I'll look at all of this.