You MUST go...

snakehips

Is it not pretentious enough to go to an art gallery in the first place, let alone comment on the pretentiousness of the things found in there!?

You wont find me in the Baltic or any other gallery, well not unless someone does an exhibition entitled "Vaginal explorations".

74996[/snapback]

I'm admitting I am pretentious though. Most of the exhibits were simply shit :lol:

74998[/snapback]

Good for you, I wonder if anyone else will admit to it?

Tbh I struggle to class anything other than a painting as art! So a sheep sliced in half or whatever the fuck that Damien Hurst produced is just a joke to me.

75003[/snapback]

I will happily admit to it. I am a big fan of moderrn art, the more it winds people up the more I like it. Damien Hurst sheep is just a modern take on "still life" btw

75017[/snapback]

OK so what's your take on that wifey who filled a gallery full of white boxes then?

75022[/snapback]

An interesting take on the importance placed on packaging and appearance in this increasingly consumerist society, and at the same time an ironic comment on waste ans space

75032[/snapback]

An interesting evaluation, pure bollocks in my mind though!

75043[/snapback]

You got me. I didnt know what you were referring to so I just made something up ;)

• 2 years later...
Four artists up for Turner Prize

Four artists have been nominated for this year's Turner Prize, with film and sculpture dominating the shortlist.

British artist Mark Leckey has been included for his solo exhibition Industrial Light & Magic, which mixed sculpture, film and performance.

Glasgow-based artist Cathy Wilkes is known for her personal approach to figurative sculpture.

Runa Islam and Goshka Macuga are also up for the £25,000 prize. The winner will be announced on 1 December.

Last year Mark Wallinger, the artist whose work includes dressing up as a bear, took the prize for his replica of Brian Haw's anti-war protest in Parliament Square.

The 2007 prize was presented at the Tate Gallery in Liverpool - this year's European capital of culture - rather than London, for the first time in its history.

But the prize will return to Tate Britain this year, where each of the shortlisted artists will showcase their work in a Turner Prize exhibition.

This opens on 7 October.

The Tate described Islam as exploiting classic cinematic techniques in her work - such as lighting, colour and cinematography - in order to invite an emotional response from the viewer.

Her work Be The First To See What You See As You See It 2004 has a woman dressed in white wandering around a gallery space of fragile porcelain pieces, before throwing them to the floor.

Polish-born Macuga, 41, works as a "cultural archaeologist".

She merges the roles of collector, curator and artist to create dynamic - and often theatrical - sculptural installations, the Tate said.

Wilkes has been nominated for her solo exhibition at Milton Keynes Gallery, which is said to have shown her personal approach to figurative sculpture.

The Turner Prize was founded in 1984 and is awarded annually to a British-based artist.

This is what I was waiting for, pictures.

_44650721_wilkes.jpg

Cathy Wilkes is included on the Turner Prize shortlist for her figurative sculptures that "touch on issues of femininity and sexuality". :icon_lol:

_44650722_leckey.jpg

Birkenhead-born Mark Leckey admits to having a "a slight obsession" with Felix the Cat, who appears in his film Cinema in the Round.

_44650724_islam.jpg

Runa Islam's Be The First To See What You See As You See It (2004) is described as "an absorbing drama of deliberation".

_44650723_macuga.jpg

Goshka Macuga's glass, steel and fabric installation, entitled Haus der Frau 2 (2008), was featured at the fifth Berlin Biennial for Contemporary Art.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. If someone likes the look of something then does it matter if it's classiscal or modern art? Art is supposed to make you think, to debate the point (if there even is one). Certain art I don't get, but that doesn't neccesarily make it crap or a waste of time.

ditto :icon_lol:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. If someone likes the look of something then does it matter if it's classiscal or modern art? Art is supposed to make you think, to debate the point (if there even is one). Certain art I don't get, but that doesn't neccesarily make it crap or a waste of time.

ditto :icon_lol:

Slowest response in board history?

ditto :D

Slowest response in board history?

:icon_lol: