Call of Duty WW2

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/3/2017 at 1:20 PM, Tom said:

I was given a code for the beta, I'll let you know what it's like after it's downloaded.

The game looks mint though! 

This must be some download.

Aye but you have to factor in that the PS4 will have needed to download its own update, install that, re-run the game, the file will corrupt, it'll need to download again, then install - then you've got the game's loading screens to work past. If it's anything like battlefield one, with 16 days having now past, I would imagine Tom has just been loaded into his first deathmatch. Assuming he hasn't slept and has been totally attentive, that is.

Edited by Rayvin

:lol: It's not actually, though it has an array of cooling features. The reality is that the current gaming generation isn't pushing it to the point where the fan even needs to run, so... 

I assume that this is because it's fucking awesome, but it could well be that the fan is broken and it's melting through the floor as I type this.

Mine was top of the line 5 years ago (apart from a shite graphics card that I've since upgraded to a mediocre one).  I've felt almost no need to upgrade except there's some slightly more complex calcs I'd like to run with a poker solver.  That's getting into cloud server territory though.

It also kept giving out about over-temperature cpu and then just stopped one day, so I assume the sensor melted.

4 minutes ago, adios said:

Mine was top of the line 5 years ago (apart from a shite graphics card that I've since upgraded to a mediocre one).  I've felt almost no need to upgrade except there's some slightly more complex calcs I'd like to run with a poker solver.  That's getting into cloud server territory though.

It also kept giving out about over-temperature cpu and then just stopped one day, so I assume the sensor melted.

Aye, I don't think graphics tech is pushing on fast enough to warrant upgrading more than once every 5 years or so anyway, so I'd say you're still fine if you've brought the graphics card into line. At some point you need to tell me about your poker stuff like, it's always sounded very interesting. Maybe next time we're hooked up on PS4.

Edited by Rayvin

The beta is finished now, my invite was only a weekend pass. It was about a 16gb download, which wasn't too much hassle as I'm on fibre. 

There was no hassle with the game really, everything loaded straight away and worked fine for the duration of the beta. Obviously, the graphics weren't up to scratch and neither were some aspects of the gameplay but it was really good fun and some of the new game modes we're enjoyable. Although to be honest I'd expect a lot more from the completed game. 

I found the following multi-player decisions strange - 

1. The decision to omit Swastikas. If I'm fighting Nazis I want them to look like Nazis. 

2. The decision to have women avatars in the mp game. This is just strange and doesn't at all suit a WW2 aesthetic. This may be because I was coming directly from BF1 but hearing a lass shriek this or that during a battle just felt weird, let alone being killed by one about 10 times in a row. I suppose BF1 also went down this route to an extent, although that was more with people of colour etc and bizarre Swedish men making youtube videos about who wouldn't be where, or if they would be, to what frequency. 

Meh, I'll buy it anyway. just like I'll get FIFA 18 and say it's shit and fixed the week after.

I can bore you to death at some point about it.  It's all got very technical in the last couple of years, a lot of the fun stuff is gone.

It's a bunch of off-table work and then at the tables you just know what combination of hands to bluff/value bet in most spots and are pretty much autopiloting.  Just takes the excitement out of it when you know that your bluff is correct regardless of whether you get called or not.  Though you should still be playing exploitatively vs weaker players.

And I'm already boring myself to death.

Edited by adios
@Rayvin

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

The beta is finished now, my invite was only a weekend pass. It was about a 16gb download, which wasn't too much hassle as I'm on fibre. 

There was no hassle with the game really, everything loaded straight away and worked fine for the duration of the beta. Obviously, the graphics weren't up to scratch and neither were some aspects of the gameplay but it was really good fun and some of the new game modes we're enjoyable. Although to be honest I'd expect a lot more from the completed game. 

1. The decision to omit Swastikas. If I'm fighting Nazis I want them to look like Nazis. 

2. The decision to have women avatars in the mp game. This is just strange and doesn't at all suit a WW2 aesthetic. This may be because I was coming directly from BF1 but hearing a lass shriek this or that during a battle just felt weird, let alone being killed by one about 10 times in a row. I suppose BF1 also went down this route to an extent, although that was more with people of colour etc and bizarre Swedish men making youtube videos about who wouldn't be where, or if they would be, to what frequency. 

Meh, I'll buy it anyway. just like I'll get FIFA 18 and say it's shit and fixed the week after.

:D We all know why these two things are the way they are, but I won't say it.

3 minutes ago, adios said:

I can bore you to death at some point about it.  It's all got very technical in the last couple of years, a lot of the fun stuff is gone.

It's a bunch of off-table work and then at the tables you just know what combination of hands to bluff/value bet in most spots and are pretty much autopiloting.  Just takes the excitement out of it when you know that your bluff is correct regardless of whether you get called or not.  Though you should still be playing exploitatively vs weaker players.

And I'm already boring myself to death.

Doesn't sound any more boring than sitting at work doing emails tbh...

Oh yeah, I mean I'd literally kill myself if I didn't have a little risk in my day-to-day job.  But it's a lot more boring than it used to be.

I also had to switch from my preferred heads-up (1-on-1) games to 6 man tables which is like watching paint dry in comparison.

It's made me evaluate some flaws in my character though, so that's always nice.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Back to the topic at hand - is there any advantage to playing as a team/any kind of team system in this one?

23 hours ago, adios said:

Back to the topic at hand - is there any advantage to playing as a team/any kind of team system in this one?

For some of the modes I played, playing as a team or with a system will be massively beneficial, particularly Hardline.

Tempted to get myself a headset. :lol: 

15 minutes ago, adios said:

There's Nazis, they're just secret Nazis.  Like @Rayvin.

:lol:

To be honest, the word 'nazi' has now been watered down to the point that I think we can safely assume that anyone to the right of Antifa is a nazi. And they're anarcho-communists.

As for this game, I wonder if they've done it because they anticipate having people play as the German side, as with Battlefield One. It's easier for Battlefield to do that because WWI was a clusterfuck borne out of the idiocy of all sides of it, and wasn't based around notions of racial supremacy. If they did the same thing in WWII, I suspect they'd end up with a lot of screenshots being taken and turned into memes by ignorant and disrespectful halfwits, aimed at winding up people whose job it is to look for things to be offended by.

Presumably, EA has looked at this and decided it just can't be fucked with the nonsense that would be kicked up as a result.

I noticed that Destiny has had to remove a piece of armor that has a pattern which could have been influenced by the Kekistani flag...

The whole thing continues to be fucking ridiculous.

Edited by Rayvin

Aye, it's shite like :lol:

I remember them calling Battlefield 1 sexist because there was no women soldiers and I think once you go down that path of encouraging inaccuracy every time something offends* somebody it's a hard habit to break.

*I don't think a lot of people are offended per se, I just think they enjoy being pendants.

I'm all for anything that makes the game more inclusive, plus I really want to troll people by killing them with a little girl in pigtails.

Does anyone really care about historical accuracy sitting in front of their Playstation?

14 minutes ago, adios said:

I'm all for anything that makes the game more inclusive, plus I really want to troll people by killing them with a little girl in pigtails.

Does anyone really care about historical accuracy sitting in front of their Playstation?

I think the argument runs that 'where do you draw the line'. Gun toting Pandas? Mid-war alien invasion? Guns firing cotton-candy?

EDIT - Also, if inclusivity becomes more important than historical accuracy, wouldn't you have to go all the way with all social labels? Don't disagree with doing so actually, but you can't just half-arse it if inclusivity is your priority.

Having said that, it doesn't bother me what gender anyone in the game is. It also doesn't bother me really whether the nazis are wearing nazi clothing. What bothers me is the infantilization of our culture by one group of people trying to protect everyone else from everything, and another group actively trying to wind them up by going to further and further extremes, and the inevitable overspill into normal life that we're now seeing. The culture war. For idiots, by idiots.

Edited by Rayvin