Parker proud to be captain

Scottish Mag

SCOTT Parker declared himself a proud man after being handed the captain's armband for Newcastle United in Saturday's FA Cup victory over Southampton.

And the central midfielder hopes he's still celebrating on Wednesday night, by taking three points off his former club Charlton Athletic at St. James' Park.

Parker led the Magpies into the last eight of the cup in the absence of Alan Shearer, who watched the 1-0 victory from the dug-out while nursing a calf injury.

Caretaker boss Glenn Roeder believes his fellow Londoner could be the natural successor to the number nine as club captain next season, and the 25-year-old admits he'd be flattered if that were to be the case.

He told nufc.co.uk: "It was a very proud day for me.

"The manager rang me before the game and let me know I was going to be captain and I was a very proud man to lead the side out on Saturday.

"It's an honour. Asky any of the lads, they would love to take it up and I am no different. Alan is going at the end of the season and there are a few lads in the frame.

"I was given it on Saturday and I'm sure a lot of the other lads could do it as well."

Parker can now look ahead to Wednesday's visit of Charlton to St. James' Park. He made 146 appearances for the Addicks before departing for Chelsea in January 2004.

But he never got the chance to play against Alan Curbishley's side during his time at Stamford Bridge, and after this fixture was postponed in December because of bad weather, Parker has been eagerly awaiting the day he could line up against a few of his old colleagues.

He added: "I have been waiting a long time for this game.

"Since I left, I have never had the chance to play against Charlton. Hopefully it will be a good night and we can win the game.

"Confidence is high, you only have to be in the changing room or around the place to see that.

"We're looking forward to each game. Hopefully we can pick up some points in the league and keep going in the cup and things will be looking brighter."