Shearer ready for one last season

khay

Newcastle striker Alan Shearer has admitted he will be using his final season as a player to prepare for an eventual career in management.

Shearer is expected to start his last campaign against Arsenal on Sunday.

And he told BBC Sport: "I wouldn't have continued unless I was confident of still competing at the highest level.

"But when I accepted the offer from the manager and chairman to extend my deal I did so on the understanding they would want me to do more than play."

He added: "I have made no secret that one day - well into the future - I would like to manage this club.

"And, to do that, I need to develop my coaching experience and qualifications and also to learn management skills at close hand."

Shearer, who will turn 35 on Saturday, will shoulder Newcastle's goalscoring burdens during the start of the season as the club search for attacking reinforcements.

No-one loves this club and wants it to do better than I do - I am really looking forward to this season

Alan Shearer

Shearer said: "Of course I will want to play an important role as a player.

"But if it is in the best interests of the club that I am not on the pitch for whatever reason, I will accept the situation without question.

"I realise that this season is going to be different for me.

"Normally I undergo pre-season training with a view to preparing for 50 to 60 hard games in which I have wanted to compete in every one of the 90 minutes.

"When I made up my mind to play on for an extra year I did so in the knowledge that, although every striker has to adapt his game as he gets older, I had already been forced to do this a few years ago because of injuries.

"Those who have watched me week in, week out in the last two or three years have commented upon my consistency and the fact that, physically, I have changed very little in that time."

He added: "No-one loves this club and wants it to do better than I do.

"I am really looking forward to this season."

Alan Shearer will be writing regular columns on the BBC Sport website during the forthcoming season.

At least he said way into the future of when he takes over here....