Its Spain again..

Scottish Mag

CHAIRMAN Freddy Shepherd has offered the small band of fans who travelled to Deportivo La Coruna a chance to return to Spain for next month's friendly with Malaga - free of charge.

The Newcastle United supremo was so impressed with the loyalty of the supporters who made it to the Estadio Riazor for the Intertoto Cup semi-final against Depor that he promised to pay for them to attend the away leg of the final against either Marseille or Lazio had the Magpies got through.

Alas, Newcastle were eliminated by Depor, but Mr Shepherd is still determined to reward those fans pictured above with an overseas trip.

He told nufc.co.uk: "Getting to Deportivo at such short notice and expense wasn't easy for the fans, but we were very impressed by those who made it out to Spain.

"We would have loved to have taken them to Marseille or Rome in the final of the Intertoto Cup. It wasn't meant to be, but at least by playing Malaga, we can give them another foreign trip this season."

United are playing Malaga on Friday, September 2, and manager Graeme Souness will select his side from those members of his squad not involved in international duty with their respective countries that weekend.

The chairman's offer will include a return flight from Newcastle to Malaga, match ticket and one night's accomodation.

If you are one of the pictured fans from Deportivo (above) and would like to attend the Malaga game then please contact the nufc.co.uk office on 0191 261 6120 on Monday morning.

Fat Fred quite rightly gets a bit of stick from supporters but credit where it's due.

I know you will argue he's only doing for self publicity etc but it's still a good gesture.

If you are one of those supporters who made that trip at short notice it will be nice to have that loyalty recognised. It's not the trip itself more the fact that the club have recognised your individual support.

Fair play to fat fred on this occasion I say ;)

Quality gesture I think. Well done Fred. Well sone to all those that went to, it wasnt easy or cheap by a long shot.

I had to spend last season paying off all the Champions League games, and UEFA cup games from the two previous seasons, and was ready to go to any euro games this year..till Cardiff came about. Plunged me back into debt again, so I had to call off any euro plan for a while. Wish I'd gone now, would have had 2 trips for the (expensive) price of 1!