Wenger: I won't sell Sol

Scottish Mag

Arsene Wenger has urged Sol Campbell to fight for his place at Arsenal as he has no intention of selling the England centre back.

With the World Cup finals due to take place next year, the former Tottenham stopper will be desperate to push John Terry and Rio Ferdinand all the way for a starting spot in Germany, providing Sven Goran Eriksson's men clinch qualification.

Campbell was left on the substitutes' bench as Arsenal triumphed in the FA Cup final with Wenger preferring Swiss rookie Philippe Senderos.

As the experienced defender is due to miss the start of the campaign with a calf problem, there have been suggestions that Campbell could struggle to earn a starting place again next term.

He has even been linked with a move to Newcastle United in some quarters.

However, Wenger has stressed that Campbell remains firmly in his plans for the upcoming season.

"I am not willing to sell him," he told Arsenal's official website.

"I want him to come back to fitness and play for us.

"At the moment, he can't do that but he is a part of my plans.

"I very much want Sol to come and fight for us."

Whilst the link never looked realistic theres another centre half off the list...

• 1 year later...