Monday's gossip column

Shearergol

I'd say that Damien Duff is an ample replacement for Robert.....and some!

Ignoring the injury, if you'd have told me in 2004 that we'd replace Bellamy & Robert with Owen & Duff, I'd have said you were bullshitting and would be over the moon at the prospect.

And so would 90% of the fans of the club! :lol:

I'd say that Damien Duff is an ample replacement for Robert.....and some!

Ignoring the injury, if you'd have told me in 2004 that we'd replace Bellamy & Robert with Owen & Duff, I'd have said you were bullshitting and would be over the moon at the prospect.

And so would 90% of the fans of the club! :lol:

167634[/snapback]

Now if we'd replaced Robert with Duff back then that'd have been good! As it worked out i'd say Zog ended up becoming Robert's replacement (and Shola did under the genius management of Souness!) and now Duff is a massive bonus so we have 2 left wingers i'd have in the team!

Owen replaced Shearer though so i still await Bellamy's replacement and they'd better be as close to as good as Bellamy as we can afford or even better would do very nicely.

Owen replaced Bellamy...

He may have replaced Shearer in terms of the 'size' of the transfer. But Shearer was still at the club when Owen joined. Michael was signed to play alongside Shearer, not as a replacement....

Owen replaced Bellamy...

He may have replaced Shearer in terms of the 'size' of the transfer. But Shearer was still at the club when Owen joined. Michael was signed to play alongside Shearer, not as a replacement....

167647[/snapback]

I thought Luque replaced Bellamy tbh

Owen replaced Bellamy...

167647[/snapback]

*senses 20 pages and not about Robert either* :lol:

They all knew Shearer was retiring and Owen would play nowhere near a full season with him.

As we all know Fat Fred set aside a big load of money for Shearers replacement, he tried to use it on Rooney and failed, it was then kept for the next chance to replace Shearer and Owen came along and it was spent.

Fred, Souness, Shearer and Owen all said he was bought to replace the Big man himself and pointed out it would take somebody special to do that job and that Owen was the man.

He replaced Shearer as:

the number 1 striker not support striker like Bellamy

as the focal point to aim assists at

the figure head and insipration from their reputaion

as a world class scorer at every level

as a big money Fat Fred style signing

The fact that he is relatively short and fast never made him Bellamy's replacement, he is and always will be the main man and numer one striker in a partnership just as Shearer was (which would have made them playing together more, quite interetsing to see how they fought for the chances!)

Bellamy's replacement is we go down the line of getting like for like should be a support striker who creates for themselves and can help out the main focal point of the attack

But we don't have to, we can go out and buy another out and out goal scoerer if thats the way Roeder wants it.

We sold Bellamy and Robert, we bought Owen and Duff....

The two were bought to replace the others in my mind. I also have no doubt that if Bellamy hadn't left us, Owen would never have joined last summer. And if he had, Bellamy would probably have asked for a transfer anyway (akin to his reaction to us bidding for Wayne Rooney).

We sold Bellamy and Robert, we bought Owen and Duff....

The two were bought to replace the others in my mind. I also have no doubt that if Bellamy hadn't left us, Owen would never have joined last summer. And if he had, Bellamy would probably have asked for a transfer anyway (akin to his reaction to us bidding for Wayne Rooney).

167867[/snapback]

So if we sold Bellamy and the next day we signed a keeper or a right back, he'd be his replacement then by that logic, because he was signed just after the sale. Owen was bought to replace Shearer, everyone at the club involved in the deal and the two strikers themselves said he was and i am not going to argue with the two players involved and the men who paid the money for them because i'm not that arrogant and quite frankly that would be stupid.

If Bellamy hadn't left us then Shepherd would still be looking to replace Shearer with a massive, high profile goal scorer of the very highest calibre and so he would have done so. That would mean Owen since there was nobody even close to his claibre available to replace Shearer that we had a chance of signing and Souness who was boss at the time was a big fan of Owen and would want him.

As for Bellamy asking for a request, do you mean in the same way he reacted slightly over the top when a microphone was shoved in his face after a bad result against Norwich and he as told about Rooney only for him to then in the cold light of day on reflection say of course he'd want to stay and fight for his place at a club who try to get players like Rooney. Because if thats what you mean then i'd have no problem with it.

Edited by Papa Lazaru