Building A Database & Need Help

wykikitoon

Hi Guys

I would like to make a database up of the mountain bike routes I regulary ride so I can share it with a few people and to also referance them.

I plan on using MS Access for this but if people have some good experiance of others please feel free and give your opinion.

Anyway. I havent EVER used access so would like a few pointers. Does anyone have a good webby or tutorial I could kick off with?

I plan on using the database by looking for routes using catergories (Eg Hard Route - Yorkshire Dales, etc etc) What the best way to start?

Thanks for the help

Hi Guys

I would like to make a database up of the mountain bike routes I regulary ride so I can share it with a few people and to also referance them.

I plan on using MS Access for this but if people have some good experiance of others please feel free and give your opinion.

Anyway. I havent EVER used access so would like a few pointers. Does anyone have a good webby or tutorial I could kick off with?

I plan on using the database by looking for routes using catergories (Eg Hard Route - Yorkshire Dales, etc etc) What the best way to start?

Thanks for the help

Quite a few people on here have jobs which involve database work, so reckon you'll get a good few answers.

I'll answer you tomorrow though, when I've got more time :mellow:

Access is OK if someone else has built the database - personally I find it a pain in the arse and very very old......................

for routes I'd look at a GIS based system

Edited by Rob W

My bird is a GIS Engineer :mellow:

For the routes I want to imput the following:

Route Name

Route Area

Route Start / Finish

Route Length

Route Difficulty

Route Ascent (Total)

Route Map Link

Additional Info

Example of complated record:-

Route Name: Dales Ride 1

Route Area: Yorkshire Dales

Route Start / Finish: Kilnsey

Route Length: 10 miles

Route Difficulty: Easy

Route Ascent (Total): 300m

Route Map Link: www.maplink.com

Additional Info: Easy route blah blah

Then when I have a few records I could do a search for a route:

Example: Easy Route in the Dales under 15miles?

Is this possible?