Ruud Gullit: still bitter

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...6/sfngul116.xml

Ruud Gullit: Beware of Alan Shearer

Interview by Duncan White

Fabio Capello starts work for England on Jan 7, and then it's decision time. His two earliest calls concern two of English football's biggest names in recent history: Alan Shearer and David Beckham.

Ruud Gullit, who played for Capello at Milan and is now Beckham's coach at LA Galaxy, has some words of advice for the new England manager: pick Beckham, but leave Shearer well alone.

Gullit had a fractious relationship with Shearer when he managed the former England striker at Newcastle and is surprised that Capello has apparently earmarked him for the assistant's role.

"You must have experience and for me he would be a surprising choice," Gullit said. "Shearer was a good player but I felt he could have done more for me at Newcastle and I actually had an argument with him about it. I told him we could play the old way or the new. Alan is a very powerful guy up north and I was seen as the city boy coming up from London telling them what to do.

"It was very difficult because to do my work properly I felt I had to change things. Then I saw that I couldn't win this fight, but 10 years later they are struggling in the same position. So I was right. I still think Alan was a good striker but things didn't work out. It didn't help that I arrived after his best friend, Kenny Dalglish, was sacked. I think a more experienced coach should be appointed by England."

The Football Association favour the elevation of Stuart Pearce from England Under-21 coach to the role of Capello's assistant while David Platt, who speaks Italian, has also emerged as a credible candidate, along with Portsmouth's Tony Adams. However, Shearer is apparently the kind of personality Capello would want as his dressing-room mediator. With his four-strong Italian backroom staff all on board, it is unlikely Capello will rush any decision though.

The arrival of the all-Italian entourage is sure to close the door on Gullit's favoured choice, Gianfranco Zola. Gullit brought Zola to England when Chelsea manager and sees him as the ideal man to initiate Capello to the English game. But the FA are unlikely to countenance the appointment of another Italian.

"It would be a clever idea," Gullit explained. "He knows English football and speaks both English and Italian. Gustavo Poyet has been working in a similar way at Spurs and it has worked well. Zola has worked with the under-21s in Italy so getting him involved would be a smart move."

One Englishman who Gullit believes should be kept at the heart of the national team is Beckham. The former captain was ditched by Steve McClaren on his appointment in August 2006, only to work his way back into the side last May. Gullit believes the former Real Madrid midfielder has at least two more years at the top of his game.

"To play for your country is the best thing that can happen. If he wants it to continue then I will do everything I can to help him. It's up to him - but why not? What did

everyone say after England played Croatia? They said that Beckham was the best player on the pitch. Everybody knows he is the best player in the squad. I've seen him playing in our exhibition games and he has been playing out of his skin. I think the period between 28 and 34 are the best years of your career.

"If he goes with the national team then I will have to rest him - otherwise I will not be able to play him at his best. But it would be the same with any other player. You need to recover from a long journey."

Like McClaren, Capello had to admit he was wrong about Beckham. As Real Madrid manager he omitted him from the squad on learning of his pre-arranged move to Major League Soccer, only to be won over by Beckham's professional attitude. Beckham will win his 100th cap against Switzerland in February and his relationship with Capello will make him a favourite for the captaincy.

Gullit, who played for Capello in the hugely successful Milan team of the early Nineties, is confident that England have got a manager who can bring genuine success - if at the cost of some bruised egos.

"He is very demanding and very disciplined. He will sort out the defensive part of the game. He is not a defensive coach - everyone likes to attack but if you can't defend yourself then what is the point of attacking? You know that if you get him you have a chance of winning something because he has done that everywhere he has been.

"You need to be able to get inside the players' minds. He will do what is necessary for the squad. He does not care about your reputation, that's for sure. But that's good. I hope some of the England players are worried about that, because it is about the team, not about the individual."

I don't think Gullit was the only manager who fell foul of Shearer's influence over the club, I'm no fan of Gullit but I don't totally disagree with him when it comes to Shearer.

I don't think he says anything wrong there tbh.

"I felt I had to change things. Then I saw that I couldn't win this fight, but 10 years later they are struggling in the same position. So I was right."

It's not like we didn't improve after he left.

I don't think he says anything wrong there tbh.

"I felt I had to change things. Then I saw that I couldn't win this fight, but 10 years later they are struggling in the same position. So I was right."

It's not like we didn't improve after he left.

Ok...3 seasons out of 10 we did better.....didn't get to any cup finals though did we?? :lol:;)