Pele 'The World's Greatest'

Tooj

just a name to throw into this, ferenc puskas. now that was a footballer.

Good name to bring up, Puskas played 354 games for Kispest/Honved and scored 357 goals.

For Real Madrid he played 179 games and scored 155 goals.

He played 85 games for Hungary and scored 84 goals.

I doubt Pele or Maradona could match that goals to games record.

Teams played 4-2-4, had no idea how to defend, and the keepers were shit in those days. I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but I reckon his goal scoring record would be a lot more modest in the modern game.

No they bloody weren't, well not all of them.

Same as today, the odd exceptional one around and the rest much of a muchness

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The standard of golakeeping was far worse in years gone by based on footage I've seen and what people have told me. Especially in Puskas's era. Lev Yashin was meant to be canny like :D

The standard of golakeeping was far worse in years gone by based on footage I've seen and what people have told me. Especially in Puskas's era. Lev Yashin was meant to be canny like :D

Yashin was class although I saw little of him as he was just "before my time"

There were plenty decent keepers around, you never or rarely see the saves on old footage as it's always the goals that are seen.

It's a bit like Robinsons "air-kick" the other week for England, watch a clip of that or Tim Flowers over the shoulder bounce disster or Shays putting the ball down inciodent and they're a crap keepers, but we know they weren't/aren't.

There were plenty decent keepers around, you never or rarely see the saves on old footage as it's always the goals that are seen.

It's a bit like Robinsons "air-kick" the other week for England, watch a clip of that or Tim Flowers over the shoulder bounce disster or Shays putting the ball down inciodent and they're a crap keepers, but we know they weren't/aren't.

Thats a fair point, but the incidence of poor goalkeeping on footage of olde world goals is still alarmingly high and much higher than you see nowadays. Plus as I say, they didnt even wear gloves-it's horrendous trying to stop a ball with your hands in a match without gloves

Thats a fair point, but the incidence of poor goalkeeping on footage of olde world goals is still alarmingly high and much higher than you see nowadays. Plus as I say, they didnt even wear gloves-it's horrendous trying to stop a ball with your hands in a match without gloves

Especially as those old balls were like stones when they were wet. Real men tbh. I'd liked to see Ronaldo (the diving one, not the fatty) kicking one of them. He probably would burst into tears (again).

Especially as those old balls were like stones when they were wet. Real men tbh. I'd liked to see Ronaldo (the diving one, not the fatty) kicking one of them. He probably would burst into tears (again).

Don't know about the tears but he'd definitely fall over

My first football had to be dubbin'ed several times before I could play with it, even then it sucked up water like a sponge, and boy did it hurt on a cold winter morning when someone cracked it into your thigh :lol:

Did you know that Pele said George Best was the greatest player in the world?

And did you know that Pele's goalscoring record is questionable as a lot of them were scored in friendly games which wouldn't count in some places.

Pele also said El Hadji Diouf was one of the top 100 players of all time as well tbh.

Incorrect.

125 then

Oh dear, I guess you lot are too young to know the likes of Frank Swift, and our own Ronnie Simpson :lol:

Oh dear, I guess you lot are too young to know the likes of Frank Swift, and our own Ronnie Simpson :lol:

I'm going off what my Dad told me, who was born in 1945 btw, as much as anything. And the footage I've seen backs it up tbh.

I've heard me Granda talk about Simpson being one of the best keepers he's ever seen.

Oh dear, I guess you lot are too young to know the likes of Frank Swift, and our own Ronnie Simpson :o

I'm going off what my Dad told me, who was born in 1945 btw, as much as anything. And the footage I've seen backs it up tbh.

Even though the likes of us weren't there (though you'd be nearer to being there than me :lol: ) from any of the footage you see, you can tell the standard of goal keeping was alot lower in those days. Some of it is downright abysmal and looks like its a joke or needs the benny hill theme being played over it!

Oh dear, I guess you lot are too young to know the likes of Frank Swift, and our own Ronnie Simpson ;)

Even though the likes of us weren't there (though you'd be nearer to being there than me :lol: ) from any of the footage you see, you can tell the standard of goal keeping was alot lower in those days. Some of it is downright abysmal and looks like its a joke or needs the benny hill theme being played over it!

Still, what would have a Banks, Yachin, Tilkowski, Trautmann ( :o ) etc. looked like in the game, if they had been born 20 years later? What would have a Maradona looked like if he had been born 20 years earlier?

Well, you only got top matches being televised / filmed years ago (world cup finals games, FA Cup finals, etc.) and the keeping still looked dodgy. Says a lot shirley.

Oh dear, I guess you lot are too young to know the likes of Frank Swift, and our own Ronnie Simpson ;)

Still, what would have a Banks, Yachin, Tilkowski, Trautmann ( :o ) etc. looked like in the game, if they had been born 20 years later? What would have a Maradona looked like if he had been born 20 years earlier?

He'd have spent 50% of the game rolling around on the deck ahving REALLY been kicked not just pretendy kicked