The Last King of Scotland

Rob W

Pity no-one agrees with you..............

On the contrary a few people agree with me. Why, do you think it's a fantastic storyline then Rob?

I think its quite a good rendition of the book - the people who don't like it much seem to want a documentary on Idi & Uganda - which is a different and grim story -

its actually about the temptations of power and nearness to power corrupting people

It could have been set anywhere - like the "Daily Mirror" under Cap'n Bob, or Sky under Murdoch

Whitacker gets the prizes because he's playing a monster but with some sublety - not just a raving, gibbering loon - a much more subtle role

Pity no-one agrees with you..............

On the contrary a few people agree with me. Why, do you think it's a fantastic storyline then Rob?

I think its quite a good rendition of the book - the people who don't like it much seem to want a documentary on Idi & Uganda - which is a different and grim story -

its actually about the temptations of power and nearness to power corrupting people

It could have been set anywhere - like the "Daily Mirror" under Cap'n Bob, or Sky under Murdoch

Whitacker gets the prizes because he's playing a monster but with some sublety - not just a raving, gibbering loon - a much more subtle role

Not having read the book, I can't really judge whether it's a good rendition or not, but if you're saying it is, then I doubt I'd like the book at all, because for me that's the problem with the film - the storyline is weak. The only person I've met who has read the book, didn't want to go and see the film because they thought the book was crap, and all.

Like you say, it could have been set anywhere, which begs the question why set it in such an interesting situation as Uganda under Amin, if you're not going to utilise any of that interest in the storyline? It takes a very strong storyline to be able to be independent of it's setting and still remain good. Something like Macbeth for example. I saw a version of Macbeth using an Idi Amin character and it was fantastic!! The storyline was strong enough to be transposed into an alternative environment and not suffer, in fact it was probably the best Shakespeare I've seen to-date. The performance wasn't even in a theatre, it was in a derelict warehouse and instead of changing the set the audience followed the cast in and out of the various rooms of the building. A perfect example of how to make the surroundings benefit the storyline, unlike The Last King of Scotland.

Forrest Whitaker gets the prizes because like you say, he's playing an interesting character in a very skillful manner, it's just a pity his interesting character is marooned in a dull and boring story.

As I said, I can only judge the film on its own merits and in my opinion it is a film with a poor storyline, if that storyline comes from the book then all I can say is the book must be pretty bad, as it doesn't have Forrest's performance to drag it's sorry arse out of the gutter.

"As I said, I can only judge the film on its own merits and in my opinion it is a film with a poor storyline, if that storyline comes from the book then all I can say is the book must be pretty bad,"

well I disagree - read thr book - its not a monster read

"As I said, I can only judge the film on its own merits and in my opinion it is a film with a poor storyline, if that storyline comes from the book then all I can say is the book must be pretty bad,"

I might, but it won't be for a while, I've got a pile of books to read at the moment.

I might, but it won't be for a while, I've got a pile of books to read at the moment.

Who's that bloke in your ava? Is it Morris Minor and the Major's?

Now there's a blast from the past! Tony Hawks wasn't it?

Was it really? I honestly didnt know. Who were the others then?

Was it really? I honestly didnt know. Who were the others then?

Definitely Tony Hawks.

I hear he's moved into skateboarding now, a true jack of all trades that fella. :baby:

It's the legend, that is: Hugo Chavez.

Who is he? Looks like some sort of revolutionary in that beret and rant.

Chavez Guivera in that shell suit mind

heh heh :baby:

Good guess.

He's the president of Venezuela: much loved by his people, much hated by the Yanks, who have tried to have him killed a couple of times and have backed a couple of unsuccessful coup attempts against him. One of which is the subject of a documentary film by an Irish TV crew who just so happened to be in the presidential palace at the exact moment it all kicked off. Have a look on Youtube for "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", it's on there in 8 parts. The yanks refer to him as a dictator, yet he is the "most elected" leader in the world (ie he has won more elections and given his people more chances to vote on his policies in referendums, than anyone else), these aren't dodgy elections either - they have the backing of the Carter Centre - things that can't be said about George Bush and the US. After he came to power he nationalised the Venezuelan oil industry and used the profits to help the poor, build schools, homes, hospitals, etc, etc. This means the rich people - who have for so long enjoyed the country's oil wealth with the help of the private media and the previous corrupt governments - hate him, they use the private media, which they own, to continually slag him off and try to undermine his policies. The fact that he allows them to do this, shows that the accusations of authoritarianism are bollocks. He regularly takes the piss out of George Bush and when he spoke at the UN - shortly after Bush - he accused him of being the devil and said he could still smell the sulphur lingering around the podium from when he had been there. ;)

The man's a living legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Ch%C3%A1vez

heh heh :baby:

Good guess.

He's the president of Venezuela: much loved by his people, much hated by the Yanks, who have tried to have him killed a couple of times and have backed a couple of unsuccessful coup attempts against him. One of which is the subject of a documentary film by an Irish TV crew who just so happened to be in the presidential palace at the exact moment it all kicked off. Have a look on Youtube for "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", it's on there in 8 parts. The yanks refer to him as a dictator, yet he is the "most elected" leader in the world (ie he has won more elections and given his people more chances to vote on his policies in referendums, than anyone else), these aren't dodgy elections either - they have the backing of the Carter Centre - things that can't be said about George Bush and the US. After he came to power he nationalised the Venezuelan oil industry and used the profits to help the poor, build schools, homes, hospitals, etc, etc. This means the rich people - who have for so long enjoyed the country's oil wealth with the help of the private media and the previous corrupt governments - hate him, they use the private media, which they own, to continually slag him off and try to undermine his policies. The fact that he allows them to do this, shows that the accusations of authoritarianism are bollocks. He regularly takes the piss out of George Bush and when he spoke at the UN - shortly after Bush - he accused him of being the devil and said he could still smell the sulphur lingering around the podium from when he had been there. :razz:

The man's a living legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Ch%C3%A1vez

;):razz::(

Quality.

"The man's a living legend."

what he means is he's another lunatic on a White Horse who will nationalise everything and send the country into a 20 year tail spin

Peron anyone?

Edited by Rob W

"The man's a living legend."

what he means is he's another lunatic on a White Horse who will nationalise everything and send the country into a 20 year tail spin

Peron anyone?

It's not like you to swallow the US propaganda Rob. They've been saying that since he got in, in 1998, and has it happened? No it hasn't. The Venezuelan economy was hardly setting the world alight before him either, so it's not like the bar had been raised very high, anyway.

I'm not swallowing US propaganda - I think they just keep people like Chavez and Fidel in with their ridiculous opposition

but over the years S & C America have had dozens of loons like this who take a populist position, get in , tear up the constitution, nationalise everything and then it all goes down the tubes AGAIN

You normally find he's salted away a zillion in Switzerland as well.............

I'm not swallowing US propaganda - I think they just keep people like Chavez and Fidel in with their ridiculous opposition

but over the years S & C America have had dozens of loons like this who take a populist position, get in , tear up the constitution, nationalise everything and then it all goes down the tubes AGAIN

You normally find he's salted away a zillion in Switzerland as well.............

Yeah, that was just my little joke, sorry.

You may turn out to be right, but I seriously doubt it, I was worried, but the more I find out about him the more that fear disappears. Have you seen the film, or read about him? Did you know he offered the coup leaders immunity from prosecution if they agreed to keep their opposition non-violent? Also, if you watch the film you'll see that the private media have gone out of their way to demonise him to the people and have used blatant lies and propaganda to do so, yet the people are able to see through this and still support him. I genuinely believe he is an honest man who just has the best interests of his people at heart, yes he has an ego, but any politician or leader that claims they don't is a downright liar, even Gandhi had an ego!! He may fail in what he's trying to do - it would hardly be surprising, given that he has the weight of the US lead western-world against him - but I'd be astounded if they were to find a load of money hidden away in a Swiss-bank account.

Just because South America has had false dawns in the past, largely due to the US's continual meddling I might add, doesn't mean we - or they - should give up hope of it happening now, or in the future. He's one of a select few world leaders with the balls to say no to the Yanks and whilst almost universally the rest of them have no choice in the matter, he has done so out of choice, a moral choice at that. If only more heads of state had the backbone to do the same the world would undoubtedly be a better place.

It's all well and good making somewhat snide - if I may say so, no offence - comments comparing him to previous South American leaders like Peron, but although you say you haven't swallowed the US propaganda - and I believe you - by doing so you're helping them more than those who do. Basically, your comparisons - unless you can back them up with actual facts? If you can, I ask that you do so - are propaganda of your own and as such, totally worthless, what's more they don't become you.

it would be better if he could do it by democratic means and not by holding mass rallies, breaking contracts etc etc

More Mussolini than Lee Kwan Yew I'm afraid