Ricky Gervais

GeordieMessiah

Gervais defends himself over 'joke' Thursday January 18, 02:18 PM

Comedian Ricky Gervais has defended himself after making a joke about the killing of prostitutes just weeks after five were murdered in Suffolk.

The award-winning comic, who is on tour with his live show Fame, recounted a story at his first venue in Glasgow about a time he was asked for his advice on becoming famous.

"Go out and kill a prostitute," was his advice, he told the audience, before adding: "I won't do this bit in Ipswich."

Jim Duell, the father of 19-year-old Tania Nicol, who

was one of the five victims of the Ipswich red-light killings, criticised the comedian's remarks.

"These days they want to make a joke out of everything," he told the Ipswich Evening Star. "If this comedian is saying things like this he is trampling on a lot of emotions. I feel he's just being uncaring, quite honestly."

Gervais, who takes his show to Ipswich in March, stressed that the conversation he referred to in the show happened five years ago, and he was talking about people who will do anything to become famous.

"I do want people to know that that happened five years ago and is not related to anything now," he said.

"At that point I hadn't considered whether I would or wouldn't do it in Ipswich, but I probably won't. It's a sensitive issue.

"What has happened there is probably so overwhelming in people's minds that they might think I am saying it now.

"That is the problem with comedy, a joke that is funny today can be a terrible faux pas tomorrow."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18012007/344/gerv...mself-joke.html

Ricky Gervais should be under fire for being shit, but not for this. There's always someone somewhere for whom any rye comment will be inappropriate due to what's going on in their life at that moment in time. The media should stop putting so much effort into tracking them down and when they do it would be refreshing if the person told the journo to fuck off and bother someone else.

Ricky Gervais should be under fire for being shit, but not for this. There's always someone somewhere for whom any rye comment will be inappropriate due to what's going on in their life at that moment in time. The media should stop putting so much effort into tracking them down and when they do it would be refreshing if the person told the journo to fuck off and bother someone else.

I think Gervais was making jokes about crops in Ipswich...erm it's wry, not rye. TBH! :rolleyes:

I think Gervais was making jokes about crops in Ipswich...erm it's wry, not rye. TBH! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Bollocks.

Load of bollocks tbh. Some dickhead reporter ringing the father of a lass who's just been killed, and asking him for a reaction just to give him a story is where the insensitivity is.

GM in "agreeing with Gemmill 100%" shocker. :rolleyes:

You'd agree with me more often if you weren't a mong. :rolleyes: