Bit of gen

SJP

Javier Mascherano has spoken of his relief after being given the green light to join Liverpool.

Fifa have given Liverpool special dispensation to sign Mascherano from West Ham United, even though he has already played for two clubs in the last 12 months.

The move has been delayed because the Premier League are looking to study the transfer before allowing it to be processed.

Liverpool have agreed an 18-month loan deal with the Argentine international, with the option of a permanent move after an unhappy spell at West Ham.

Mascherano is hoping he can get through the red tape to seal his switch to Anfield and get his career back on track.

"I received the communication from Fifa and the documentation has already been sent to my agent," Mascherano told Radio La Red.

"The club has done a lot for making this easier, they did a great presentation and that's why now I am allowed to play for Liverpool.

"It's very common that when a player doesn't play he makes excuses, but I don't want that.

"I am a principle person in having the fault for what happened because it was me who took the decision.

"It wasn't the best decision to accept to be transferred to West Ham, besides that what I am saying hurts, but I must accept that.

"I went through a very bad moment, but now Liverpool has appeared and I want to do my work as best as possible for showing that I still have the same ambitions as when I arrived in England."

Mascherano also singled out Rafa Benitez for special praise, admitting he has been very impressed by the Spaniard.

"Rafa Benitez gave me a lot of confidence since the fist moment that I spoke with him," added Benitez.

"Personally, I even got very surprised with the chance of being transferred to Liverpool, considering that I haven't been playing since December 3rd at West Ham.

"Now a new page starts in my career and I want to be again the player that I was some time ago and fight for a place at Liverpool.

"I want to give my best to this team that has done such a big effort to have me in the squad.

"In addition to that, I want to work very hard for Liverpool and for myself win a place again in the Argentinian national team."

I don't understand this ruling - does it only count in the Premiership?

Talbot - signed for Luton from Sheff Weds, but also played for Scunny. Transfer allowed.

Hurst - Scunny tried to sign him from Sheff United, but because he'd played for them, and Chesterfield on loan, the transfer wasn't allowed. Loan deal only.

Can someone explain?