Iran announces cure for AIDS

BlueStar

Parky back peddling furiously.

Btw, yes, it was meant as an insult, but with no offence intended. :lol:

None taken. :razz:

Btw only got into this today as I was talking about it with 'a gay friend the other night'.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw only got into this today as I was talking about it with 'a gay friend the other night'.

Btw, not being an expert on viral diseases, I personally do not feel I am qualified to argue abouth them too much, but why on earth are you surprised that monkeys react differently to HIV than humans? The "H" stands for human! Loads of viruses, probably most, are species specific. It's entirely plausible for a virus to mutate, jump the species barrier, and be unable to return to the original host. What I posted was a lazy google finding and it was 7 years old, true, but I think it fairly conclusively showed the link between HIV and AIDs beyond reasonable doubt.

Maybe we have different definitions of reasonable...... <_<

Btw, not being an expert on viral diseases, I personally do not feel I am qualified to argue abouth them too much, but why on earth are you surprised that monkeys react differently to HIV than humans? The "H" stands for human! Loads of viruses, probably most, are species specific. It's entirely plausible for a virus to mutate, jump the species barrier, and be unable to return to the original host. What I posted was a lazy google finding and it was 7 years old, true, but I think it fairly conclusively showed the link between HIV and AIDs beyond reasonable doubt.

Maybe we have different definitions of reasonable...... <_<

We probably do, but that is what makes General chat go around.

The species barrier thing is a good point, but you can see that unless I picked up on the monkey thing people would assume on a cursory reading that the monkeys later developed aids.

Most viruses are species specific we can agree on that sure.

But it was an early myth in this tragic saga that aids initially came from the green monkey or summat and gays got it from travelling on 'leisure trips' to Africa.

The mind boggles. <_<

I agree the majority of proof is leaning toward HIV.......But many out there aren't convinced and that is a good thing and how medicine etc develops...

Peace.

I should know as I live in Hamburg in the gay district and have gay friends

Jesus. I've probably bumped into you in Uhrlaub or somewhere. Or fucked one of your friends at least. :lol:

Incidentally, don't go near Rosso on Lange Reihe tonight without earplugs, there's a Eurovision event on.

I should know as I live in Hamburg in the gay district and have gay friends

Jesus. I've probably bumped into you in Uhrlaub or somewhere. Or fucked one of your friends at least. :lol:

Incidentally, don't go near Rosso on Lange Reihe tonight without earplugs, there's a Eurovision event on.

Tonight you say. :razz:

Quite like Lange Reihe nice coffee shops and bars.....

Might find this an interesting read. This theory of the origin of AIDS would mean it was the fault of the Belgians. An attractive theory. The gist is that the disease jumped across species as infected monkey tissue was used in the development of an experimental Polio vaccine that was tested in the 50's in Rwanda/Congo, the epicentre of the epidemic.

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dis...er/NYTimes.html

Edited by ChezGiven

Might find this an interesting read. This theory of the origin of AIDS would mean it was the fault of the Belgians. An attractive theory. The gist is that the disease jumped across species as infected monkey tissue was used in the development of an experimental Polio vaccine that was tested in the 50's in Rwanda/Congo, the epicentre of the epidemic.

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dis...er/NYTimes.html

Looks like an interesting read, will have a look later.