World Best Ever Team

MattM4

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, Shearer could have been a better player at Man Utd than at Newcastle. Players ability doesn't just stand still, he could have improved more there.

He played for England which is a higher level than Man U. The final point you made was defective and you're simply chosing to ignore it.

Guest Patrokles

Here's a question; give that forward lines are often more about partnerships rather than individuals, would you not have Di Stefano and Puskas and sacrifice Van Basten?

Cripes, chaps, the fuck is wrong with you?

Not doubting Di Stefano's talent at all, but there wasn't a lot of opposition to Real's dominance in the 50s.

Do medals not count then?

Not really, Shearer could have been a better player at Man Utd than at Newcastle. Players ability doesn't just stand still, he could have improved more there.

He played for England which is a higher level than Man U. The final point you made was defective and you're simply chosing to ignore it.

Champions League is of a far higher standard than the World Cup tbh and Man Utd are a far better team than England.

Edited by Sima

Guest Patrokles

Not doubting Di Stefano's talent at all, but there wasn't a lot of opposition to Real's dominance in the 50s.

Doesn't that somewhat contradict what you're saying about Shearer? ;)

When you haven't even outlined a basis for your argument? You've just said Shearer was as good with absolutely no case to back it up?

You don't accept my point about goal ratios (fair enough), I can't figure out your point about medals (mine is that theyre largely meaningless-How many European Cups has Seedorf won/how many World Cups did George Best have a chance at winning) and beyond that you'll concede that neither of us have submitted a detailed treaties on the art or science of goalscoring.

Your initial post was simply that Muller should be in ahead of Shearer.

It's about opinions basically. For what it's worth my view is based on their technical abilities coupled with their ability to put the ball in the back of the net. If all other conditions were equal I would say you would be extremely hard placed to distinguish between them.

With the difference that many goals of Müller were crucial. I don't think anyone here in Germany could think of the successes of the German and Bayern teams in the 70s without the deciding goals from Müller, especially in tense finals and crucial matches. I think that is what Shearer lacks, important matches where he was the deciding factor.

Again I think that goes back to being in those situations to begin with.

Personally I think if you were choosing any basis to criticise the Shearer case (ie not being a 'matchwinner'), then that's probably the weakest example to use.

Here's a question; give that forward lines are often more about partnerships rather than individuals, would you not have Di Stefano and Puskas and sacrifice Van Basten?

Hard to compare different eras in that reagrd. Madrid played with about 6 upfront.

Guest Patrokles

Hard to compare different eras in that reagrd. Madrid played with about 6 upfront.

Just like Kev. ;)

different kind of forwards really. shearer was a target man with limited pace, good without being great technique and had outstanding technique for goalscoring inside and outside the box.

gerd mullers stats say that he was clearly the best and most natural goalscorer the game has ever seen. didn't have much else to his game apart from goalscoring however. thats why he's often in peoples top 10 players but not top 5 as i see it.

if shearer had played in a world class club side with better players than we had at his peak i could see him winning a european cup or a league title. however he from the relatively young age that he got his first cruciate injury, was probably always carrying a few knocks. when he had that injury when he was first with us i really don't think he recovered to 100% of his previous best. a fully fit Alan shearer at his peak however was still however the outstanding english forward of his generation.

as it stands i'd have Muller and van basten up front.

Champions League is of a far higher standard than the World Cup tbh and Man Utd are a far better team than England.

Any professional will tell you that the World Cup is the absolute highest level and that the majority of international football is a higher level than the majority of 'domestic' european football played. Youre talking bollocks now with all due respect.

I'm not saying either argument has proved the case, but you're no longer making sense in your argument.

Guest Patrokles

different kind of forwards really. shearer was a target man with limited pace, good without being great technique and had outstanding technique for goalscoring inside and outside the box.

gerd mullers stats say that he was clearly the best and most natural goalscorer the game has ever seen. didn't have much else to his game apart from goalscoring however. thats why he's often in peoples top 10 players but not top 5 as i see it.

if shearer had played in a world class club side with better players than we had at his peak i could see him winning a european cup or a league title. however he from the relatively young age that he got his first cruciate injury, was probably always carrying a few knocks. when he had that injury when he was first with us i really don't think he recovered to 100% of his previous best. a fully fit Alan shearer at his peak however was still however the outstanding english forward of his generation.

as it stands i'd have Muller and van basten up front.

Shearer had more than limited pace until his injuries.

Last comment was more in reference to the photo, clue is in the first part?

Guest Patrokles

How about Ronaldo at his peak? I think there could perhaps be a few more modern/current players in the list. Comparison is impossible though.

Cake and eat it tbf.

So, you weren't commenting on Pat's choice of player, just the photo? Nice one ;)

Edited by alex

Any professional will tell you that the World Cup is the absolute highest level and that the majority of international football is a higher level than the majority of 'domestic' european football played. Youre talking bollocks now with all due respect.

I'm not saying either argument has proved the case, but you're no longer making sense in your argument.

Do you think England would beat Man Utd?

Oh and for someone that is basing their argument purely on opinion, waving the not talking sense part ;)

Edited by Sima

Do you think England would beat Man Utd?

Oh and for someone that is basing their argument purely on opinion, waving the not talking sense part :rolleyes:

;)

Playtime Fontayne!

What's next? Conkers or marbles?

So, you weren't commenting on Pat's choice of player, just the photo? Nice one ;)

What part of "not doubting his talent" do you not understand?

What I didn't really understand was the bit where you seemed dismiss Di Stefano's haul of European Cups after previously using an argument about the medals players had won in order to determine whether one individual was better than the other.