Old fashioned projector to PC

smudger

Bit of an unusual problem this one but I thought I would ask.

Was round at my Father-In-Laws last night and he insisted on getting out his slides out and showing us a few hundred of them (He's got about 4 thousand of the things dating back to god knows when).

I got chatting to him about them and it got me thinking. Is there a way of transferring all his old slides onto hard disc. As I say I reckon hes got about 4 thousand of these slides which you have to load onto a wheel and slot into the machine. It takes him about 20 mins to load them onto the wheel and the same again to get them out and start loading again.

I know its possible to transfer all your old records onto PC by way of a USB powered turntable so perhaps theres something similar for old fashioned projectors??? Ive had a look on Google etc but there doesnt seem to be but was wondering if anyone elses parents/relatives had managed to do it??

Cheers

:D

I think you'd have to film them using a digital camcorder then download it to a pc.

slides? why not just take a digital pic? Good call though

Set it on a tripod just to be anal about it

Sorry, I edited my post, I thought you meant capturing cine-film, as I corrected myself, you can get digital camera slide adaptors that allow you to take pictures of sides, its a gadget that fits on the lens.

http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/phot...e-transfer.html

Funnily enough I've been working on something like this at work for a while, we need to convert approx 4 billion documents from microfiche to electronic storage. However we need to have the data extracted as well so we can index and search.

So although the media and volumes are totally different the same logic applies and one of the things we've looked at is farming the work out to a supplier to carry out and you may find it makes sense to do the same otherwise you're going to need to get a flatbed scanner adaptor to allow you to scan them, may find the scanner you have (if you've got one) is not good enough quality and need a deeper dpi resolution so it can work out fairly expensive just for the equipment.

On top of that its quite a labour intensive task, you'd need to switch over the slides, ensure numbering is set properly to capture them, store them somewhere (4000 pics @ a minimum of 100mb each is well ermmm its a lot of HD space).

Personally, Id farm the task out to Kodak or someone who can scan em, number em, sort em and drop them back to you on a pile of DVDs ready to go.

What kinda pics has your father in law been taking recently? :unsure:

What kinda pics has your father in law been taking recently? <_<

He's got all sorts of stuff on there dating back to about 1955 ( I shit you not). He used to be a Geography teacher and has loads of slides of Malham Tarn, The Peak District etc etc as well as the usual family get togethers and even his honeymoon :unsure:

I have got loads of time at the moment what with being off work with a fucked back so its up to him if he wants to plough money into a new scanner for the job and the subsequent disc space required. Just out out interest though Peasepud how do you fathom I will need 100mb of disc space per slide <_<

Cheers for the info though guys it is mucho appreciated.

At work we have a simple little thing that does the trick. It's a small plastic unit with a mirror inside reflecting the light from the scanner back on the slide so that the photo can get scanned at the same moment.

It's very simple and the quality might not be as good as with a professional slide scanner, but it works. Though, with a couple of hundred/thousands slides, you might need a lot spare time as you always can do one slide.

I don't this thing does cost more than a few quid. I might make a photo of it.

At work we have a simple little thing that does the trick. It's a small plastic unit with a mirror inside reflecting the light from the scanner back on the slide so that the photo can get scanned at the same moment.

It's very simple and the quality might not be as good as with a professional slide scanner, but it works. Though, with a couple of hundred/thousands slides, you might need a lot spare time as you always can do one slide.

If you could take a photo of it, it would be much apprecaited mate. Also if you could find out where this device you speak of was purchased from and what scanners it will fit if at all possible. I have a HP PSC 1210 all in one jobbie which they dont make a slide adaptor apparently for but I would be interested to know if the one you have at work is universal

Cheers :unsure:

If you could take a photo of it, it would be much apprecaited mate. Also if you could find out where this device you speak of was purchased from and what scanners it will fit if at all possible. I have a HP PSC 1210 all in one jobbie which they dont make a slide adaptor apparently for but I would be interested to know if the one you have at work is universal

Cheers :unsure:

The scanner is a HP, too. The unit is that simple that I think it will work with every scanner. Don't have a camera in my office at the moment, but will do it in the next days.

Cheers <_<

The scanner is a HP, too. The unit is that simple that I think it will work with every scanner. Don't have a camera in my office at the moment, but will do it in the next days.

Ta mate much appreciated :unsure:

Sorry, forgot about it

I haven't taken a photo, but found an image via google.

http://www.eijlander.nl/imagescript.php?im...pg&size=190

The thing is called slide adapter and here is a description how it works:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bps03306

:mellow: Thanks a lot for the info mate. Much appreciated.