Talk the talk, now walk the walk

Jimbo

Latest quotes from Glenn Roeder:

"During the week at the training ground I sat down with the group. I don't like meetings on the day of a game when emotions are running high. I had a very positive response in the training session afterwards.

"We are too quiet as a squad and I want them to be more talkative. That sort of quality will be something I am looking for when I buy new players in the summer.

"We don't need any more quiet personalities. We need more loud people who voice their opinions. It's me who does most of the talking as well as the captain."

"On Monday the players were down and they were hurting, like they should be. I was hurting as well.

"We have two or three who are surprisingly low in confidence. There is only one way to get it back and that is hard work. You can make mistakes but play yourself through it. You will not regain your confidence if you don't put a shift in.

"They will have to do it as you can't win games of football at this level if you are carrying three or four players."

"We're obviously on a disappointing run. We have not shown an ability this year to not play very well and still dig out a result. Every point we have earned we have deserved.

"I'm very interested to see the reaction of the players at Sheffield United. They will be in our faces and physically very strong. We have to do better than we have done against teams like that.

"There are 21 points to play for to get us in the top half of the table. Then we will evaluate what happened to us this year with our horrific injuries."

Couldn't resist mentioning the injuries again.

Aye you have to laugh - there isn't an interview with him that doesn't mention them although he would NEVER use it as an excuse..

He sounds like he's pleading a bit now - almost like he knows something is going on behind the scenes....we can live in hope.

Saying that like if he could find a spine to use he might be able to field a decent team today and get us a result......but maybe thats hope too far fetched.....we shall see

Aye you have to laugh - there isn't an interview with him that doesn't mention them although he would NEVER use it as an excuse..

He sounds like he's pleading a bit now - almost like he knows something is going on behind the scenes....we can live in hope.

Saying that like if he could find a spine to use he might be able to field a decent team today and get us a result......but maybe thats hope too far fetched.....we shall see

I don't know what people want from him regarding injuries, it's just another part of the pointless attacks on him for no reason (seeming personal hatred tbh), as opposed to genuine criticism of his actual faults as a manager.

Chelski were genuinely whining because they had ONE player out for a couple of months this season, and important player yes, but no more important than Owen would be to us, less important most likely in fact.

Yes Roeder said something like "I won't use injuries as an excuse" at one point, but given the number of injuries and the length of time we've had players out (repeatedly in many cases as well), in the end if a manager made NO reference to our injuries this year (which have been amazingly bad for NUFC and that's saying something as we've been right up their in injuries crises pretty much every year for the last 10+ years :razz:) then I'd have to question their sanity.

Keegan or Robson or anyone else would have been hamstrung with this squad and these injuries.... I think both would have done better with the team motivation and probably tactics-wise, but to think anyone would have got us into the Champions League this year with this squad and these injuries is simply pie in the sky (Gullit would have just gone completely mental, Daglish would have played 10 at the back and Souness would have probably had a fight with Martins and sold him :)).

Roeder has GOT to do better in bringing people in (even if there are chairman and financial issues to deal with as well), and he’s GOT to sort his motivation of the team out, and he’s really GOT to get his tactics and team selection sorted out if he wants to keep the job for another season (and he can be rightly criticised for these things).

But really it’s pretty wise to look at what has been done right and wrong this season and you can’t do that without factoring in the injuries issue, we were almost down to registering Roeder and playing him at one point in this season. :lol:

He may be using it as an excuse now, but really that’s fairly understandable.