Benitez offered cash to lure Owen

Bombadil

Liverpool co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks have vowed to back boss Rafa Benitez in the summer transfer market.

And American Gillett has not discounted a move for former Reds striker Michael Owen, whose future at Newcastle has been the topic of intense speculation.

"He is a great player but it is down to Rafa's recommendation, not us," Gillett said of the England international.

In an effort to stave off interested parties, new Magpies boss Sam Allardyce met Owen for the first time this week.

Allardyce interrupted his holiday to talk to the 27-year-old in the build-up to the England B international against Albania and outline his ambitions for the St James' Park outfit.

Owen has spent 10 months on the sidelines fighting his way back to full fitness and managed to play in his club's last three games of a difficult season.

But there are reports of a get-out clause in his contract and speculation that he could be available for as little as £9m.

Owen moved to Tyneside in a £17m deal from Real Madrid in August 2005, but has managed only 14 appearances to date following knee and metatarsal injuries, although he has scored seven goals in his first 10 starts.

In eight years at Anfield before his move to Spain, Owen scored 179 goals in 351 appearances.

But Gillett and Hicks are not limiting themselves to Owen after promising Benitez funds to help Liverpool compete for the Premiership next season.

"If Rafa said he wanted to buy 'Snoogy Doogy' we would back him," added Gillett.

"Rafa's feeling is we need more depth because of the rigours of the schedule to be competitive.

"In every sport I participate in, there is a difference between a league season and the play-offs.

"That's where the genius of the manager is so essential and that's where Tom and I have to defer to his background and genius."

All right, where in the article does it say that Benitez will be "offered cash to lure Owen"? Nice bit of shit-stirring by the Liverpool-loving BBC, but I guess that's what you get when their chief football writer and half their staff are self-proclaimed Liverpool fans. I'd love it if we kept Owen just to piss them all off.

Liverpool co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks have vowed to back boss Rafa Benitez in the summer transfer market.

And American Gillett has not discounted a move for former Reds striker Michael Owen, whose future at Newcastle has been the topic of intense speculation.

"He is a great player but it is down to Rafa's recommendation, not us," Gillett said of the England international.

In an effort to stave off interested parties, new Magpies boss Sam Allardyce met Owen for the first time this week.

Allardyce interrupted his holiday to talk to the 27-year-old in the build-up to the England B international against Albania and outline his ambitions for the St James' Park outfit.

Owen has spent 10 months on the sidelines fighting his way back to full fitness and managed to play in his club's last three games of a difficult season.

But there are reports of a get-out clause in his contract and speculation that he could be available for as little as £9m.

Owen moved to Tyneside in a £17m deal from Real Madrid in August 2005, but has managed only 14 appearances to date following knee and metatarsal injuries, although he has scored seven goals in his first 10 starts.

In eight years at Anfield before his move to Spain, Owen scored 179 goals in 351 appearances.

But Gillett and Hicks are not limiting themselves to Owen after promising Benitez funds to help Liverpool compete for the Premiership next season.

"If Rafa said he wanted to buy 'Snoogy Doogy' we would back him," added Gillett.

"Rafa's feeling is we need more depth because of the rigours of the schedule to be competitive.

"In every sport I participate in, there is a difference between a league season and the play-offs.

"That's where the genius of the manager is so essential and that's where Tom and I have to defer to his background and genius."

All right, where in the article does it say that Benitez will be "offered cash to lure Owen"? Nice bit of shit-stirring by the Liverpool-loving BBC, but I guess that's what you get when their chief football writer and half their staff are self-proclaimed Liverpool fans. I'd love it if we kept Owen just to piss them all off.

What position does he play?

Edited by Fat Boy

Oliver will have an exclusive this evening saying how "my souurces have informed me that Newcastle have stepped aside to allow Liverpool to sign Snoogy Doogy after Big Sam deemed he wasn't the sort of player he was looking for". Or "Snoogy Doogy is one player who will definitely not have a peg in the St. James' Park dressing rooms for the start of next season".

Oliver will have an exclusive this evening saying how "my souurces have informed me that Newcastle have stepped aside to allow Liverpool to sign Snoogy Doogy after Big Sam deemed he wasn't the sort of player he was looking for". Or "Snoogy Doogy is one player who will definitely not have a peg in the St. James' Park dressing rooms for the start of next season".

Reports that the west coast rap star will be a Newcastle player by the end of the week are wide of the mark.

'However, the Snoop deal could hit a snag, with reports also linking Big Sam with a move for 9-times-shot-gun-surviving 50 Cent. My sources claim Fiddy is East Side and therefore likely to put a cap in Snoops ass.'

Haha, they've changed the title to "Benitez backed for transfer spree". Hopefully someone told them that the BBC isn't supposed to be a site for Liverpool fans. Serves them right.