Can we now...

MrMiyagi

Plus, Chelsea are arguably worse off for getting Shevchenko and Ballack.

Scapegoats tbh. It's more of a question as to whether we can now attract them though, don't drift off topic :lol:

Aye, but it's true though. I think it's mainly down to the way Chelsea play that they've struggled though. I think 2J was spot on when he said that they should flog Lampard and Ballack would get a new lease of life. O/T soz :D

Re: Allardyce I think the quotes attributed to him about needing to sort the defence out before concentrating on other areas are encouraging and correct. A lot depends on whether Owen stays or goes though as we're short of decent strikers as it is.

Guest Patrokles

What seems somewhat to have been missed by a couple is that the Henrys, Eto'os, Ronaldinhos, et al all started off at smaller clubs or in smaller roles, and have only become recognisably 'world class' after they moved. Therefore, we shouldn't be looking to buy players who are already known by the entire universe to be 'world class' (however thompers, in his infinite wisdom wants to define that) but those who have all the required attributes to establish them as this type of player. Look at Wenger. Arsenal aren't, in my opinion, as capable as Manchester United or Chelsea or Real Madrid, or Barca when it comes to attracting players who are acknowledged superstars, but Wenger has unearthed some world-class talent for relative peanuts.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a scouting process and be looking to unearth our own player. But the question was can we now attract already world class players, that aren't just leaving their current club because they're no longer wanted.

I'm saying that personally I don't see that as a viable option, because when you're talking players who are ALREADY world class, you're talking about players who are playing for the very best teams in the world, who generally have no interest in moving to other clubs, and whose clubs have no interest in selling them. Therefore it become a moot point and therefore you have to go back and look at it on the terms that I outlined above- either do a Wenger and unearth brilliance, or pick up very highly-regarded players who aren't quite considered world class yet.

Speaking of Ranieri's spending spree, who did he buy for them?

Joe Cole

Gallas

Petit

Parker

Glen Johnson

Bridge

Makalele

Frank Lampard

Veron - crap

Mutu - crap/coke face

Crespo - crap/dissinterested

Zenden - crap

Gronkjaer

Duff

Some good signings there, but Crespo, Mutu and Veron must have been around £50mill down the crapper though.

You can add Robben and Cech to that list, though they didn't join until after Ranieri got the sack.

But the question was can we now attract already world class players, that aren't just leaving their current club because they're no longer wanted.

And the answer to that is no. We've no European competition next season, only one player who is recognisable world wide and were shit last season. The only thing we can offer is money and it remains to be seen whether Ashley will sanction silly wages for players, though I personally doubt it.

When I talk about world class players, I was asking if we'll be able to attract players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Kaka. Fucking world class players, not Damien bastard Duff!

You forgot Luque, or is he just on world class wages? :lol:

Let's not run before we can walk.

Agreed. We first of all need to be back and Europe and preferably in the Champions League before we can envisage the top class players heading this way.

This next season is going to be a progressive one. If we finish in the top 5, it HAS to be looked at as a very positive campaign.