Allardyce looks at Dutch trio

Scottish Mag

Sam Allardyce will scrutinise events in the Netherlands this evening, but it will not be James Milner or Steven Taylor who are of the greatest interest to a manager closing in on his third signing at St James's Park.

Having increased his offer for the Paris-Saint Germain defender David Rozehnal, the Newcastle boss will turn his attentions to his other targets, and with three such players expected to start for Holland in tonight's European Under-21 Championship semi-final against England, United are expected to be represented at Heerenveen's Abe Lenstra Stadion. The agent representing NAC Breda's Maceo Rigters last night insisted that he expects the Magpies will rival Celtic for the striker's signature following the tournament's conclusion.

Ryan Babel - the Ajax forward who attracted Glenn Roeder's interest six months ago - is also understood to be coming under renewed consideration as Allardyce attempts to increase his attacking options. And Dutch sources have named Newcastle among the `10 or 15 clubs' to have registered an interest in Feyenoord's attacking full-back Royston Drenthe. De Kuip officials are adamant the 20-year-old left-sider will not be sold this summer, but a move to the Premier League is starting to seem inevitable given Drenthe's performances in recent weeks.

It remains to be seen whether St James's Park will be his next destination, but there is little question that the powerful player fits the bill. With the injured Damien Duff sidelined until November and Celestine Babayaro surplus to requirements, the versatile Drenthe would be a useful addition to Allardyce's first-team squad. Sunderland are also understood to be considering a bid, although it seems Feyenoord pose the greatest threat to the North-East rivals, with Drenthe contracted to the Rotterdam club for the next four seasons.

"It's correct that Royston has received much attention," said coach Bert van Marwijk last night. "But Feyenoord need to keep him, he's a player the club needs and there are no financial reasons to sell him."

United's scouts are understood to have been at Saturday's 2-2 draw between Holland and Belgium, a game in which Drenthe scored and furthered his burgeoning reputation. Rigters was also on target and the 23-year-old is expected to be watched again.

"There has been a lot of interest," said Ton Smit, the player's agent, last night. "Celtic are seriously interested and Newcastle are also looking at him. We've had no official offers, but I believe both clubs will watch him against England."

Roeder was keen to sign Babel during January's transfer window but was unable to do so. Aston Villa and Arsenal are interested in a 20-year-old who favours a move to the Emirates Stadium, although Arsene Wenger has still to be convinced enough to lodge a bid.

Allardyce will be interested to see how the trio fare against an England team that will feature Milner and Taylor and, should he need further information, the United boss could seek Tim Krul's opinion.

Newcastle's teenage goalkeeper - the youngest player in the Dutch squad - has yet to make an appearance at Under-21 level. He will be on the bench again in Heerenveen and is in the ideal position to evaluate Rigters, Drenthe and Babel.

Although he has not yet featured in the tournament, Krul has no complaints. "It's just great to be here," the 19-year-old insisted last night. "It's good to be with the boys. They are the best in their age group. They all play first-team football."

Having had a £2m bid for Rozehnal turned down last week, Allardyce has in creased his offer to between £2.5m and £3m, although PSG have yet to respond. The French club are keen to push the price up as far as possible, but Borussia Dortmund are understood to have withdrawn their interest.

"I presume the negotiations will soon end with an agreement," said Pavel Zika, Rozehnal's agent, last night.

Allardyce - who is also keen on Marseille's Habib Beye and Liverpool's Sami Hyypia - is determined to add defensive strength to his squad as soon as possible.

French sources have linked United with Auxerre's right-back Bakari Sagna and Lyon's Alou Diarra, the £5.5m-rated midfielder who is reported to have instructed his agents to look into a transfer to Tyneside, having decided he does not want to join Portsmouth.

Drenth is going to brilliant. Best player at the tournament by a mile. The whole stadium picks up and buzzes when he has the ball. I'd love if we got him. Especially with Baines being linked with sunderland :razz:

Edited by Barney

It's a bit interesting how many players Sam's looking at that Roeder either looked at and didn't try or tried to sign and failed.

But considering the relative lack (so far anyway) of bodies coming in, I wonder if even Allerdyce (with his much greater skill in the transfer market) and a big wedge of cash is having issues attracting players to Newcastle.

It's a bit interesting how many players Sam's looking at that Roeder either looked at and didn't try or tried to sign and failed.

But considering the relative lack (so far anyway) of bodies coming in, I wonder if even Allerdyce (with his much greater skill in the transfer market) and a big wedge of cash is having issues attracting players to Newcastle.

It's early days in the close season though to be fair to the manager.

Aye it is (especially for us), but it does look like we've missed out on some already (one, at least, definitely).

Aye it is (especially for us), but it does look like we've missed out on some already (one, at least, definitely).

Anyone would be mad to choose us over Chelsea though.

A lot of people thought he might for 1st team football over bench warming (and his relationship with the manager).

But it is interesting, especially if Allerdyce ends up paying over the top fees and wages too.

A lot of people thought he might for 1st team football over bench warming (and his relationship with the manager).

But it is interesting, especially if Allerdyce ends up paying over the top fees and wages too.

Does Tal not know one of the Chelsea coaches quite well?

I think that Allardyce mentioned(maybe it was Oliver) that he would be using some of the existing scouting reports etc.

I can't imagine they'd be as detailed as much as Fat Sam wants, but at least it's a start.

A lot of people don't know their arse from their elbow though :razz:

Don't see where this idea that Ben Haim will get nowhere near the Chelsea team comes from.

How many games did Essien play at centre-half last season?

Edited by Sima

A lot of people don't know their arse from their elbow though :razz:

Here? I would seem so, I agree. <_<

Don't see where this idea that Ben Haim will get nowhere near the Chelsea team comes from.

How many games did Terry?

I think that Allardyce mentioned(maybe it was Oliver) that he would be using some of the existing scouting reports etc.

I can't imagine they'd be as detailed as much as Fat Sam wants, but at least it's a start.

You'd have thought he'd have an awful lot more targets though, especially as most of ours probably basically start: "The Chairman/Lee Clarke thinks...." :razz:

Chelsea only play with one centre-half?

Edited by Sima

Chelsea only play with one centre-half?

You'd think so given last season.

All the more reason why Ben Haim won't "constantly be warming the bench"

We'll have to see. :razz: (and see if your prediction of Terry being injured as much comes true)

:razz:

untitled2qn3.jpg