The best football Newcastle have ever played over a couple of months

McFaul

What do you think is the best few months of quality football the toon have played in your time supporting the club.

For me one of the most disappointing seasons Newcastle have ever had was 1994/1995, I know we came 6th which wasn't bad, but the way we started was to this day the best I've seen from us, even better than the next season.

Look at the results

Leicester a 3-1

Coventry h 4-0

Southampton h 5-1

West Ham a 3-1

Chelsea h 4-2

Antwerp a 5-0

Arsenal a 3-2

...and the unbeaten run lasted another 9 games. Reading these, they're just stats I know, but if you think of the quality of football we played till we got turned over by Keith Gillespie inspired Man Utd, we were fuckin great. We looked like we could score 10 every game, and what does my head in now looking back, is that Ruel Fox's contribution is overlooked in this period. He was fuckin unreal. That game we beat Southampton 5-1 was one of the most one sided games I've ever seen, they all were honestly. The first time we dropped points was against the dippers, and that was a draw through a Pavel howler when they should've been put to the cleaners. Stevie Watson was immense in this period, but we were so good, then in such a short period of time so shit.

Andy Cole was to blame, he started playing shit, and wasn't scoring, I would love to know if something happened behind the scenes towards the end of the year, because he was fuckin shit, after being lethal. His record at the toon was something like 83 games 69 goals, you can take 8 off his games because he didn't score in his last 8 games, apart from one class goal against Ipswich.

Can you remember a better couple of months for quality of football than them though?

Guest alex

That was a great period Sima.

Some of the best one-touch passing and movement I've ever seen was the season we finished third when we first came up in the Premiership. Especially at home. We were a bit of a soft touch away at times. Was that the season we beat Norwich 2-1 away too? Fantastic performance.

Some of the best one-touch passing and movement I've ever seen was the season we finished third when we first came up in the Premiership. Especially at home. We were a bit of a soft touch away at times. Was that the season we beat Norwich 2-1 away too? Fantastic performance.

Pedro's goal man against QPR away symbolises that.

Aye took us a few weeks before we found our feet though. I knew we'd dee areet after we beat Sheff Wed 4-2. Still the first few weeks of the next season were the best football I've ever seen from us.

Guest alex

Aye took us a few weeks before we found our feet though. I knew we'd dee areet after we beat Sheff Wed 4-2. Still the first few weeks of the next season were the best football I've ever seen from us.

I went to Leicester away (Albert's debut) and I thought we were going to win the league after that game. Saw the Robbie Elliot chicken dance for the first time too. We came 6th in the end iirc and didn't even get into Europe.

I think Everton winning the FA Cup left us out of Europe IIRC? I suppose having fewer games was a blessing in disguise given what (nearly) happened the next season.