University Applications/Life

Offshore Toon

I have 2 offers from Nottingham for American Studies w/English Lit and American Studies.

No interviews, and I doubt they looked at my application very much as I'm only listed as doing 3 AS levels.

I need ABB but given the amount of people likely to be on this course, I shouldn't even need that. :jesuswept:

Clive Lloyd got a Doctor of Laws on my Graduation day, good speech too.

Rik, do you know where you'll end up on your MSc course?

I'm doing part time, with Uni of Manchester. The modules I'm doing are in Manchester, Birmingham, HMS Sultan and Imperial College.

I have 2 offers from Nottingham for American Studies w/English Lit and American Studies.

No interviews, and I doubt they looked at my application very much as I'm only listed as doing 3 AS levels.

I need ABB but given the amount of people likely to be on this course, I shouldn't even need that. :jesuswept:

I hope to apply to Nottingham next year. Saw the university a couple of weeks ago and looks quite nice.

What actually is American Studies? Is it like a historical thing or some kind of social research into life there?

From what I can gather from the prospectus and introduction they gave at the uni, it's a bit of both. You get the chance to go to the States for a year as part of the course though, and seeing as I've always enjoyed going over there it was a chance I didn't want to pass up.

hope to apply to Nottingham next year. Saw the university a couple of weeks ago and looks quite nice.

It's a great campus, and even better for me as they have an ice hockey society and wor lass is going as well. :jesuswept:

What actually is American Studies? Is it like a historical thing or some kind of social research into life there?

From what I can gather from the prospectus and introduction they gave at the uni, it's a bit of both. You get the chance to go to the States for a year as part of the course though, and seeing as I've always enjoyed going over there it was a chance I didn't want to pass up.

hope to apply to Nottingham next year. Saw the university a couple of weeks ago and looks quite nice.

It's a great campus, and even better for me as they have an ice hockey society and wor lass is going as well. :lol:

Cool, good luck with it.

Word of warning, I went to the same Uni as my ex thinking it would be a good idea. Fucking disaster!! Obviously different girls etc but I had real problems getting through to her that I wanted to meet new people and go out with them rather than spend Freshers Week sitting in her flat watching soppy dvds. :jesuswept: It survived for about 6 months of that first year then we finished it, the rest of Uni was a million times better.

It's a great campus, and even better for me as they have an ice hockey society and wor lass is going as well. :lol:

Cool, good luck with it.

Word of warning, I went to the same Uni as my ex thinking it would be a good idea. Fucking disaster!! Obviously different girls etc but I had real problems getting through to her that I wanted to meet new people and go out with them rather than spend Freshers Week sitting in her flat watching soppy dvds. :jesuswept: It survived for about 6 months of that first year then we finished it, the rest of Uni was a million times better.

We both do completely different courses which are opposite sides of the campus. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. We're in the same halls though which is a plus.

I'd imagine the year out would be more of a problem but cross that bridge when I come to it.

Just make sure you do as much freshers week stuff as your body allows. OK, so some of the people organising these things can be a bit full-on, but just go with it and see how much you can remember at the end of it.

Mine was 6 years ago now :jesuswept:

Just make sure you do as much freshers week stuff as your body allows. OK, so some of the people organising these things can be a bit full-on, but just go with it and see how much you can remember at the end of it.

Mine was 6 years ago now :jesuswept:

That's alright if you do a fairly undemanding course, mine had us in every day at nine during fresher's week. Mind I think they've changed it round since then. We never had chance to do any of the day time shit, although we managed all the evening's "entertainment".

Edited by geordieshandy

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, really liled the look of it and Nottingham in general. My sister has finished her second year there and definitely recommends it also.

Provided I get the grades I aim for, I'm applying to five of: Newcastle, Exeter, Nottingham, Sussex, East Anglia, Reading and Southampton.

Grades could vary though and I'm worried I might do a bit worse than hoped.

Yeah, really liled the look of it and Nottingham in general. My sister has finished her second year there and definitely recommends it also.

Don't forget your vest.

Don't forget your vest.

One person has been killed there in 18 months. 16 I think so far this year in London. Hardly fair to label Nottingham as the murder capital. Besides the reputation is a bit silly - anyone from there will tell you the violence is only in a small part of the city. Everyone I've known to have lived there say it's fantastic.