Cat 6 Voltage Capabilities

wykikitoon

Hiya Doods

I am putting a waterproof TV in my bathroom and it runs at 12v. I was wondering what voltage Cat6 ran at as I have a load of it and was thiking that I could use that and run it from my router?

Cat 5/6 is data, not power, there's no constant current down the line. Is that what you're hinting at?

If you're wiring from the power in on the router via some internal shenanigans, your TV probably draws more current than the router and could well cook any internal circuit protection.

You can run 12v down Cat 6 strands (I wouldn't recommend it though) though only at pretty low currents. Whats the rating on the TV?

TV? Bathroom? Come on man. Sort it out! Next you'll be getting a telephone in there.

Close, I have a network point in there <_< so I could use Skype :lol:

Aye Matt, I know Cat6 is Data, the TV I have been looking at runs at 12v. Think I shall just put a waterproof socket in there, better safe than sorry <_<

Ah, so we wanted to put the power at the other end of the line, disconnect it from the network and use it as a power line.

It would probably work, just. But you're doing the right thing to stick a LV socket in there!

Ah, so we wanted to put the power at the other end of the line, disconnect it from the network and use it as a power line.

It would probably work, just. But you're doing the right thing to stick a LV socket in there!

Aye, it has to be IP65 rated, or it could be IP44. The TV definatley has to be IP65. Righto, a little more research us required :lol:

Cheers Matt

• 4 weeks later...

From what I can find Cat 6 cable has a 1.6amp current rating, its conductors are only 23gauge so its tiny stuff, so you couldn't be running anything too powerful otherwise your lovely Cat 6 cable will become a heating element !