Morts Comments

JawD

Now it looks like a few defenders may be on the way Dan finds a new outlet for his pessimism :icon_lol:

do you think smith should be an automatic starter like? where would you play him in the team? do you think he's a player we need when you look at what we already have?

i'm encouraged by the news of the new defenders btw - not a moment too soon tbh. just a bit non-plussed by the smith purchase.

Tbh Dan when Gemmill said Leazes had become a parody of a parody of himself, he could have just as easily been talking about you a few months down the line. I honestly caon't take you seriously any more. In answer to your question, I think he'll be at the head of a midfield three when we play that. He's versatile though (can also play upfront and wide right etc.) and we did need a body in to replace Dyer even if he's a different sort of player. So, no he won't necessarily be an automatic starter but I fancy he'll do well here.

Well, reading his comment about preferring 433 because you can defend at 451 and attack at 415 - ish - we would look good going forward but Im not totally sure about Martins/Owen dropping back.

433 is something we may need to get used to though from what Ive seen it looks more like 4321 - in that role I could see Milner and Smith supporting Viduka though that leaves no room for owen or martins.

Back to the point though, I think Smith will be for midfield alongside geremi and barton and one other depending on the formation on the day.

Either way it can only be good and as I mentioned before, Ill be much happier seeing our bench with the likes of duff/nobby/emre for example than lesib/acadamy no 1/acadamy no 2/butt

Now it looks like a few defenders may be on the way Dan finds a new outlet for his pessimism :icon_lol:

do you think smith should be an automatic starter like? where would you play him in the team? do you think he's a player we need when you look at what we already have?

i'm encouraged by the news of the new defenders btw - not a moment too soon tbh. just a bit non-plussed by the smith purchase.

Tbh Dan when Gemmill said Leazes had become a parody of a parody of himself, he could have just as easily been talking about you a few months down the line. I honestly caon't take you seriously any more. In answer to your question, I think he'll be at the head of a midfield three when we play that. He's versatile though (can also play upfront and wide right etc.) and we did need a body in to replace Dyer even if he's a different sort of player. So, no he won't necessarily be an automatic starter but I fancy he'll do well here.

sweet jesus. comparing me with leazes? what have i done to deserve such an honour? although maybe it's a good thing; message boards get a bit dry when everyone agrees with each other.

i was as optimistic as everyone else when the takeover went through but i'm finding it hard to get too excited about the new season going on our purchases so far. i think it's a good thing that the new owners haven't gone for trophy signings like shepherd but i'd also accuse big sam of a shepherd-esque blunder by spending a big sum on smith, a player that we don't really need.

i'm sorry that you can't take me seriously anymore as i always considered you one of the better posters on here but what else is there to do on a football board but prognosticate ahead of the new season? i'm surprised more people don't share my pessimism tbh.

Edited by Fancy Dan lecturer

No offence. I wouldn't give two shits what I think if I was you. I just find that you're ultra-negative about everything now. We're miles better off than we were 12 months ago imo, I just don't get the pessimism. You're not alone though of late. This place has gone mental this week with all the wailing that's been going on. I've had to keep looking out the window to check for blokes with sandwich boards with 'The End Is Nigh' written on :icon_lol:

Well, reading his comment about preferring 433 because you can defend at 451 and attack at 415 - ish - we would look good going forward but Im not totally sure about Martins/Owen dropping back.

433 is something we may need to get used to though from what Ive seen it looks more like 4321 - in that role I could see Milner and Smith supporting Viduka though that leaves no room for owen or martins.

Back to the point though, I think Smith will be for midfield alongside geremi and barton and one other depending on the formation on the day.

Either way it can only be good and as I mentioned before, Ill be much happier seeing our bench with the likes of duff/nobby/emre for example than lesib/acadamy no 1/acadamy no 2/butt

fair enough. i'd still have emre, butt and nobby in midfield ahead of smith.

In the current climate I wouldnt consider £6M a big sum. He's 27, England irregular :icon_lol: English etc. Plenty of the kind of experience we need.

fair enough. i'd still have emre, butt and nobby in midfield ahead of smith.

yeah but thats playing 3 players instead of one :icon_lol:

Also, assuming Smith will be RM, there is only really Nobby to compete with (though Geremi can play there). Again, two people per position.

I'd put Smith in ahead of Emre any day of the week and Nobby is probably going to play a bit-part role this season and (as much as I like him) rightly so imo.

I'd put Smith in ahead of Emre any day of the week and Nobby is probably going to play a bit-part role this season and (as much as I like him) rightly so imo.

really? smith ahead of those two in midfield?

No offence. I wouldn't give two shits what I think if I was you. I just find that you're ultra-negative about everything now. We're miles better off than we were 12 months ago imo, I just don't get the pessimism. You're not alone though of late. This place has gone mental this week with all the wailing that's been going on. I've had to keep looking out the window to check for blokes with sandwich boards with 'The End Is Nigh' written on :icon_lol:

i agree we look in a better state in terms of the club's ownership but i think they need to pull their finger out a bit in the transfer market. big sam has been saying as much recently. encouraging signs today but i can't underatand the smith purchase...although that is something to question sam on, not the new board.

tbh i wish i was more optimistic but we struggled all season last time around and i see the teams that finished around us and above us strengthening more than we are.

although we did have a knacker in charge of the team last year as well as in the boardroom. i expect sam to do better on limited resources than roeder would do flush with cash.

Thing is though, the players that are coming in compared to those leaving are much stronger. When you look at Bramble, Moore, Parker, Dyer(?) leaving and Rozenhal, Barton, Geremi and Smith(?) coming in, plus say two defenders coming in.

Dont forget this is only the first step. With these changes, Id love us to be pushing for europe but would take a top 10 finish now along with a more stable club with the right foundations to continue to grow.

tbh i wish i was more optimistic but we struggled all season last time around and i see the teams that finished around us and above us strengthening more than we are.

I think having a Smith to come in for injuries rather than a Pattison etc, etc is a large improvement but I still have a concern on numbers.

I want Ramage and the rest to be so far from the first team they might as well not bother - this doesn't apply to "proper" youngsters which I don't count Ramage and Pattison as anymore.

Thing is though, the players that are coming in compared to those leaving are much stronger. When you look at Bramble, Moore, Parker, Dyer(?) leaving and Rozenhal, Barton, Geremi and Smith(?) coming in, plus say two defenders coming in.

Dont forget this is only the first step. With these changes, Id love us to be pushing for europe but would take a top 10 finish now along with a more stable club with the right foundations to continue to grow.

When you think about it, we all thought our squad was too thin and so far we have shipped out 5 and sold Dyer + Parker, and brought in 4 + probably 2 more in the next day or so. So are still one down on the already thin squad!

However we have brought in better then we got rid of and you have to add in the likes of Owen, Ameobi, Luque and Zog who because of injuries, bad management/bad attitude etc. weren't really much use last season but who hopefully will play a big part this time round.

I really would love to see 2 fullbacks, another CB and another midfilder come in though!