Given to have scan

Papa Lazaru

Given Fitness Update

By Paul Tully

MAGPIE goalkeeper Shay Given will have a scan on his groin on Monday after limping out of Newcastle United's final pre-season friendly.

Given was replaced by Steve Harper eight minutes before half-time of the victory over Sampdoria and manager Sam Allardyce revealed afterwards: "He felt his groin after one of his kicks in the first half.

"He will have a scan on Monday and we will know more about it tomorrow."

Added Big Sam: "Steve Harper stepped in no problem at all, and overall it was a very good performance.

"It was an excellent work-out. I think Sampdoria were probably the best team we have played.

"The movement of their players was extremely good and caused us quite a few problems. But we coped with that very well and stayed with it.

"Another clean sheet is very important, and I'm stressing that to the players."

Allardyce was pleased with the displays of his debutants Mark Viduka and Alan Smith, who headed the winning goal in the 59th minute.

"It's nice to see Mark Viduka back with us and Alan Smith and some of the injured lads getting a game," the United boss declared.

"I think apart from one top-class save from Shay in the first half and one from Steve that didn't look a problem for him, we coped very well.

"We've scored off a set-piece, too, which was very pleasing, and if we can carry on this form next week we will be happy."

Its typical that we've just sent Krul out on loan and Given has problems, though hopefully it won't be anything to worry about, but with our luck that's not that likely!

It seems since Given had that serious injury that he's subsequently picked up more than he ever used to, hope that will calm down soon as well.

Its classic NUFC, if at the start of the season i could have picked 3 players i wanted playing the most it'd have been Given and Owen and most likely Barton. Two of them are clearly going to miss the start of the season, and i'm worried about Given now. Obviosuly we're expecting a big improvement in our defence but they still need Given behind them.

Now you have to wonder if loaning Krul out is going to back-fire on us, unless there is a come right back if we need him clause in the loan agreement.

If Given has to have surgery and Harper gets injured I think Krul should probably be No.3, he did excepionally well in his debut.

Now you have to wonder if loaning Krul out is going to back-fire on us, unless there is a come right back if we need him clause in the loan agreement.

If Given has to have surgery and Harper gets injured I think Krul should probably be No.3, he did excepionally well in his debut.

There isn't according to .com

I find this sort of thing infuriating and lay the blame at Russell Cushing's door. It's as bad as letting LuaLua play (and score the winner) against us whilst on loan at Portsmouth, costing us vital points and not registering Bowyer for European games meaning he had to serve his ban twice amongst other things.

Inept imo.