Fifa man opposes England 2018 bid

Scottish Mag

Aye, that would work. It would have to be a newly developed Landsdowne Rd. rather than Croke Park though.

I thought that, but by 2018 surely the Irish will be more relaxed about Croke Park. I know they're letting ROI play there while LR is being built, but if they were to host a WC, I think Croke Park would have to play a leading role. LD will only be 50000.

Perhaps but I think the GAA are allowing non GAA sports to be played there strictly while LR is being redeveloped. Croke Park is a fantastic stadium though.

I think I read Fifa are against joint bids too (even though they seem like a good idea). I read in World Soccer that 2002 was a fudge whereby the top brass wanted it to go to Japan but there was a dispute and the protest votes meant S. Korea won. So Fifa jointly awarded the World Cup to both countries. Fifa at its finest there. It wasn't a joint bid.

Playing Devil's advocate if someone from the English FA dismissed a suggestion that the World cup would be held in the Caribbean and stated that the region had contributed nothing to the sport, it would be less than a second before the word "racist" would be used.

we're surely one of the best qualified nations to host a world cup. we've got the stadiums, the history and all the games will be well attended.

just look at the quality of the stadiums to choose fom

wembley (90,000)

old trafford (73,00) and probably around 80,000+ by the time of that world cup

emerates (60,000)

new liverpool stadium (60,000+)

st james (52,000) possibly rising to 60,000 if we extend the gallowgate

city of manchester stadium (48,000)

stadium of shite (48,000)

villa park (42,000)

stamford bridge (42,000)

then you've got your swanky new modern grounds for the smaller games - st mary's, pride park, reebok stadium, walker's stadium etc

Edited by Dr Gloom

What a complete cunt, thats well pissed me off, would love to kick the shit out of this absolute wanker. The fuckin nerv of the twat, who does he think he is to criticise a country with the best league in the world, best teams in the world, best stadiums in europe and best supporters without a doubt. Hes a cunt tbh

Totally agree. English and proud, no wonder people say we have an island mentality. No one likes us we don't care. The thing that pisses me off is the double standards involved. Anyone can get away with saying that about England in football, but if one of our officials said anything it would be world news. For the size of England compared to Mexico and USA we've achieved more than we could've hoped.

I'd love to see the WC here, but I wouldn't be against a Celtic WC, with a co-bid from Wales, Scotland and Ireland. They could do it as well. Croke Park 88,000, Hampden and Ibrox 51,000, Murrayfield 68,000, Cardiff 74,000, Aberdeen up to 35,000, and maybe Windsor Park up to 40,000 - it could be done. If it's not going to be us who get it, it should be country/countries who have never held it before, and have the ability to do so.

At present Windsor Park is in no shape to hold an international match, never mind host a WC game, and with little chance of investment or expansion to a 40,000 capacity there's no chance it could be used.

The new N.I. international ground (most likely on the site of the Maze prison) could be used but tbh is unlikely to be any better than could be offered in England, though I do like the idea of a British Isles bid even if it is highly unlikely due to FIFA's fucking stupidity.