Who should replace Barlow?

Happy Face

Who should replace Barlow?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sacriligeous perhaps but I think Robson's overrated as an England manager.

You think everyone is overrated as anything though. :unsure:

(what he could and did do as England manger was rebuild successive England teams, in some cases in mid competition, to be reasonable successful)

Yeah he did pretty well in the end. But I don't really see his reign as being that of a golden age of English soccer and in some ways he was a lucky manager. He failed to qualify for the Euros in 84, in 86 he only picked Beardsley because Mark fucking Hately got injured and we were awful in Euro '88. Even in Italia 90 we were more than a little fortunate against Cameroon and Belgium and I think the use of the sweeper system was a lucky break too. I mean he'd never used it before. It paid off though. He was relatively successful which says a lot about how poor England have been since 1970 which was probably the last time we were a real top class side. I think anyone would struggle with the current crop of player though. They really are overrated and the lack of depth was really highlighted last night too.

Well yep I thought the resurrect and clone Alf Ramsey project was pushing it a bit for the World Cup qualifiers (and you'd probably not rate him anyway :crylaughin:).

But yeah England seem to have a decent first 11 that just cannot play together and very little real strength in depth.

You think everyone is overrated as anything though. :o

(what he could and did do as England manger was rebuild successive England teams, in some cases in mid competition, to be reasonable successful)

Yeah he did pretty well in the end. But I don't really see his reign as being that of a golden age of English soccer and in some ways he was a lucky manager. He failed to qualify for the Euros in 84, in 86 he only picked Beardsley because Mark fucking Hately got injured and we were awful in Euro '88. Even in Italia 90 we were more than a little fortunate against Cameroon and Belgium and I think the use of the sweeper system was a lucky break too. I mean he'd never used it before. It paid off though. He was relatively successful which says a lot about how poor England have been since 1970 which was probably the last time we were a real top class side. I think anyone would struggle with the current crop of player though. They really are overrated and the lack of depth was really highlighted last night too.

Well yep I thought the resurrect and clone Alf Ramsey project was pushing it a bit for the World Cup qualifiers (and you'd probably not rate him anyway :unsure:).

But yeah England seem to have a decent first 11 that just cannot play together and very little real strength in depth.

Alf couldn't get his head round subs so he'd be fucked too :crylaughin:

You think everyone is overrated as anything though. :o

Well yep I thought the resurrect and clone Alf Ramsey project was pushing it a bit for the World Cup qualifiers (and you'd probably not rate him anyway :unsure:).

Alf couldn't get his head round subs so he'd be fucked too :crylaughin:

Neither could Sven, well apart from in friendlies. So I reckon it's time the FA faced the truth, there is no one good enough to manage England, it's time they invested in a AI manager (they can probably get the AI code from FM2008 for "just" £5m a year :o).

Guest stevieintoon

The only Englishman capable of doing the job is Glenn Hoddle. If we go foreign it would have to be Jose, but he's said in the past he'd never manage England.

The only Englishman capable of doing the job is Glenn Hoddle. If we go foreign it would have to be Jose, but he's said in the past he'd never manage England.

I'd say he's far too sensible to take it, or at least it would take a vast amount of money for him to take on what is basically a no win job.

Fop was talking about a decent first 11, I'm wondering just who that is. I don't mean who're the best 11 players that are round pegs for round holes, but which 11 players would/could/should work well as a unit?

The best I can come up with off the top of my head is:

?????

Richards* Terry Ferdinand Cole

SWP Hargreaves Gerrard ??????

Owen? Rooney?

Even then I'm not sure if Owen and Rooney would work as a partnership, I don't know if SWP can hack it consistently at that level, There's no evidence other than conjecture that Hargreaves and Gerrard would work well in that formation, with these players around them. *I omit Neville because I believe he'll be too old for the next competition.

Just what is England first eleven? and we certainly would need players on the bench that could change things.

Fop was talking about a decent first 11, I'm wondering just who that is. I don't mean who're the best 11 players that are round pegs for round holes, but which 11 players would/could/should work well as a unit?

?????

Owen? Rooney?

Even then I'm not sure if Owen and Rooney would work as a partnership, I don't know if SWP can hack it consistently at that level, There's no evidence other than conjecture that Hargreaves and Gerrard would work well in that formation, with these players around them. *I omit Neville because I believe he'll be too old for the next competition.

Just what is England first eleven? and we certainly would need players on the bench that could change things.

One of the massive problems which people like Wenger have created is that we have no partnerships coming through. Remember when Arsenal's back four all played for England? How many teams in the Premiership have 2 English strikers, or 2 English central midfielders?

?????

Owen? Rooney?

One of the massive problems which people like Wenger have created is that we have no partnerships coming through. Remember when Arsenal's back four all played for England? How many teams in the Premiership have 2 English strikers, or 2 English central midfielders?

Owen/Smith

Butt/Barton

:crylaughin:

?????

Owen? Rooney?

Owen/Smith

Butt/Barton

:crylaughin:

:unsure: I missed the word "good" out.

Mourinho 'rules out' England post

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho does not want to succeed Steve McClaren as England manager, BBC Sport understands.

Mourinho, 44, has been out of football since leaving Stamford Bridge in September but is believed to be waiting for a club rather than a national post.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has also said he does not want the England job.

But ex-Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello says he is interested and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp and Reading's Steve Coppell have not ruled themselves out.

Radio 5 Live's football correspondent Jonathan Legard said: "Mourinho is apparently champing at the bit to return to football management.

"But not for a job, however lucrative and high profile, that only allows him to do what he does so well - working with players - a couple of times every few months.

"He's like a lion in a cage, I was told, but a national job, even such a special post like England, would only appeal at a later stage in his career and the chances are even then that would only be the Portugal job.

"Far more attractive for the former Chelsea title winner at the moment is a top European club vacancy and as he waits for that, so the FA must come to terms with the size of their task."

The Football Association's chief executive Brian Barwick has begun his search for a replacement for McClaren, who was sacked on Thursday after England failed to reach Euro 2008.

And Capello, 61, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Allardyce was Bolton manager when he was touted for the England job which McClaren got 18 months ago.

He has since become Newcastle manager and says he wants to honour the new contract he recently signed.

"I am not in a position like I was at my old club where the chairman openly extended the invitation for me to go for the position," Allardyce said.

Redknapp said: "Anybody would love to manage their country but I don't see it coming my way.

"It's a great job for somebody. It's an opportunity to work with the best players in this country and for me still, despite what anyone might think, a group of some of the best players in the world."

Coppell did not rule himself out of the running although he said he was still under contract at Reading.

"It's a non-issue, I have a contract here," he said. "I'm English so people link me.

"I've got a massive job at Reading, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very happy with that."

While Capello has attracted support from punters, Mourinho's lack of interest leaves Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill as the bookies' favourites for the job.

O'Neill was rejected by the Football Association after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Meanwhile, former England captain Paul Ince believes the FA should re-appoint Glenn Hoddle.

The 50-year-old was England boss for three years before being sacked in February 1999 after suggesting that disabled people were being punished for sins in a previous life.

Ince told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I wouldn't look any further than Hoddle. He did a very good job and he wasn't sacked for footballing reasons.

"The FA has got to forget about what happened years ago, they've got to be bold and brave.

"Hoddle is sharp, bright, meticulous and he's English, but whether the FA is prepared to go back is not my decision."

Capello was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

The Beeb are reporting Mourinho doesn't want it now.

I could never see him taking it.

To take the England job be you've got to be either:

1. Blinded by the cash.

or

2. See it as a BIG step up.

or

3. See it as maybe your last job in football.

1. Blinded by the cash.

or

or

Bit like the Toon job then.

1. Blinded by the cash.

or

or

Bit like the Toon job then.

Almost exactly like that, well under FFS anyway.

Guest James_coDurham

John Lindsay. Oh no, he already tried and failed. Mike Baldwin's dead. Hmmmm....

Not sure of any others that might be willing to take Deirdre under their wing.

It'll probably be Capello.

Shearer would be a huge gamble, but the way Klinsmann and Van Basten have both took to international football like a duck to water might mean it would be a half decent shout to see Al as England manager.

Shearer would be a huge gamble, but the way Klinsmann and Van Basten have both took to international football like a duck to water might mean it would be a half decent shout to see Al as England manager.

Do you think the FA have the balls?

He'd need to learn English first, other than that, impressive c.v