Can I return an unwanted gift without a receipt?

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Guest Patrokles

They'll exchange it, no problem. They just won't give a cash refund without receipt. It's bad customer service not to. They probably don't even need a supervisor to swap books. Unless there's a cash difference. You'll also only be able to exchange it for whatever the lowest recent price was.

Guest Patrokles
surely though a book is the same as a CD or computer game otherwise whats to stop people using Waterstones as a library, buy a book, read it, take it back and exchange it for another....

The same policy is generally extended to CDs, DVDs, and games, though. If it's clearly unopened/unused, or in mint condition, the retailer will sooner exchange it than upset a customer. Especially if they seem a respectable sort. Generally the shop will have a good idea of people abusing the system, and politely refuse future exchanges.

Somebody bought me an item of clothing in ours. And it's fucking horrible. Isn't there a rule against that sort of thing. Anyway, I couldn't mask the look of utter fucking horror on my face when I opened it, so I doubt anyone will make that mistake again.

Somebody bought me an item of clothing in ours. And it's fucking horrible. Isn't there a rule against that sort of thing. Anyway, I couldn't mask the look of utter fucking horror on my face when I opened it, so I doubt anyone will make that mistake again.

Novelty Tie?

I once took a cd to HMV that someone had loaned and scratched to fuck. The lad took the cd out the box, looked at it then gave a full refund. Depends on how brazen you are sometimes (I had a receipt as I'd just bought a replacement though so it doesn't really apply here I suppose).

I had a big 'go and get the manager' type bust up with HMV regarding some DVD's I'd bought on offer and wanted exchanged (see other thread), I got it done but by god they made it hard work. I'd already spent £100 in one day as well, the greedy coonts. What makes it even funnier, one of the till monkeys (not dealing with me) went to my school (like 10 years ago!).

Novelty Tie?

Not all novelty ties are horrible.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/hats-ties/9352/

I thought secret santa was always a piss take. If I got something I wanted/liked I'd be amazed.

Never considered returning the '99 FA cup final dvd a man U fan got me to rub it in.

Remember pistone getting a bloody sheep's heart? ;)

Guest James_coDurham
I got some Innis & Gunn oak-aged beer from my Secret Santa, was quite impressed with that actually compared to some of the shit others got.

Which has what to do with returning an unwanted gift?

Another Ski Jacket?

Oh fuck you'd keep that wouldn't you? ;)

I got some Innis & Gunn oak-aged beer from my Secret Santa, was quite impressed with that actually compared to some of the shit others got.

Which has what to do with returning an unwanted gift?

The unwanted gift was from a secret santa.

Try and keep up James, and wipe that snot off your top lip.

Do you want to swap it for a book?

Do you want to swap it for a book?

Forget it.

Good old Waterstones, exchanged no probs, no receipt required. Result!