Sir Edmund Hillary

Glasgow Mag

Hmm - for a so called "British hero" I'd forgotten he was a Kiwi.

Yeah, I always thought it was funny that it was meant to be a great British achievement when the first people to climb Everest were a New Zealander and a Tibetan. There was some great programmes on BBC4 commemorating the 50th anniversary in 2003 not just about the first ascent but about the mountain in general. My favourite has to be this bloke though. What a nuttah!

Yeah, I always thought it was funny that it was meant to be a great British achievement when the first people to climb Everest were a New Zealander and a Tibetan. There was some great programmes on BBC4 commemorating the 50th anniversary in 2003 not just about the first ascent but about the mountain in general. My favourite has to be this bloke though. What a nuttah!

not a TIBETAN FFS - A Nepalese

What I found interesting was that the Times ran the story of the secret codes Jan Morris used to get the story back - he listed the climbers in alpahbetical order with a code against each one - and Tenzing was in the list amongst all the white folk

Which confirms that he was in the party as climber (and a bloody good one at that) and not just as a jumped up porter

Apparently they were both unbelievable climbers on ice & snow

What I found interesting was that the Times ran the story of the secret codes Jan Morris used to get the story back - he listed the climbers in alpahbetical order with a code against each one - and Tenzing was in the list amongst all the white folk

Which confirms that he was in the party as climber (and a bloody good one at that) and not just as a jumped up porter

Born in Tibet however.

Edited by alex

Born in Tibet however.

I never knew that!!!

Of course the Brits were wise - he'd been most of the way to the top with the Swiss the year before ...............

Born in Tibet however.

I never knew that!!!

Of course the Brits were wise - he'd been most of the way to the top with the Swiss the year before ...............

I think it was just over the border like. I only know because it was on one of those programmes mentioned so I just assumed he was Tibetan. Do you know the British team Hillary was part of had a stop-over in Zurich (iirc) on the way back from their successful 1st ascent? And the unsuccessful Swiss team you mention greeted them with a champagne reception. Some gesture and as one of the British team said, a one they probably wouldn't have made.

there were a lot of contacts - initially the Swiss got in quick after the Nepalese lifteed restrictions on S Side access in 1950 and a Commonwealth scouting party under Shipton had shown a possible approach route - the Brits then approached the Swiss and suggested they withdraw as it was "a British mountain"

the Swiss told then to get stufed but offered a joint expedition

the Brits aimed to take it over and were told to get stuffed again

The swiss NEARLY succeeded - and it was their failure that led the Brits to replace Shipton with Hunt - a much tougher character