bloody registry

zico martin

My mates PC was having big problems ( kept restarting and wouldn't log in window) so I formatted the HD, reinstalled windows XP and put some virsu software on there. job done ;)

however i keep getting error messages telling me the registry is corrupt and when the system starts up it keeps asking me which OS i wan to start in, windows XP or windows XP ( the latter which wont work as theres a file missing anyway).

SO how can I fix the registry - or wipe it completely clean to stick all the software on afresh?

If its trying to duel boot, I think it sounds like it thinks the previous version is still there. Me, Id start again. Is there more than one HD? If its one HD when you install it it should have asked if you were intending to duel boot and you'd have said no. It should then have asked if you wanted to wipe the previous OS and you;d have said yes. I think.

aye - its asking what os you want to boot (cos its found more than 1).

you should always delete the existing partition, do the quick reformat then install on a new partition.

i made the mistake once of leaving an installation unattended and the install cd just went ahead and installed on a external drive, instead of my internal 'c' drive.

was a nightmare getting rid of the 'wrong' install as taking ownership of folders from a previous install in a bit of a faff.

you should always delete the existing partition, do the quick reformat then install on a new partition.

i made the mistake once of leaving an installation unattended and the install cd just went ahead and installed on a external drive, instead of my internal 'c' drive.

was a nightmare getting rid of the 'wrong' install as taking ownership of folders from a previous install in a bit of a faff.

ok I'll go through that again

any ideas how I can sort out my registry completely though?

Im keep getting this:

erroruf5.th.png

Im keep getting this:

erroruf5.th.png

Anyone got a magnifying glass?

Im keep getting this:

erroruf5.th.png

Anyone got a magnifying glass?

lol sorry, I'll get this sorted tonight, I fear my problems are getting worse though and I cant even get the PC to go as far as letting me into the BIOS ;) must be something other than software do you think?

Well, your software like the OS has no effect on the BIOS. You should be able to get into the BIOS no matter what problems you have. Are you trying to get in the BIOD as it boots up (by pressing F5 or whatever it is). I assume you are getting into the BIOS to tell it to boot from CD so that you can boot from your XP OS disk?

Well, your software like the OS has no effect on the BIOS. You should be able to get into the BIOS no matter what problems you have. Are you trying to get in the BIOD as it boots up (by pressing F5 or whatever it is). I assume you are getting into the BIOS to tell it to boot from CD so that you can boot from your XP OS disk?

yeah, i think Im gonna have to check inside and press a few cables and hope for the best.

watch this speed