Budget

Walliver

They've bailed out the banks, will they bail out the rest of us?

Vat down to 15%

Booze tabs and petrol duty up so no change.

NI up

Highest rate of income tax up

Inject an extra £20bn into the economy, or 1% of GDP, funded in part by an extra £5bn in efficiency savings and a big increase in government borrowing

That's a no then.

Still think tax on beer is ridiculous.

Tax on tax is the real genius.

Katanga!

Failed to ans earlier Fop.

Should Parky Inc © be buying water or gold??

Long-lived canned goods and a shotgun. :scratchhead:

Mrs P loves it in the bunker. :D;)

That's no way to refer to her St. Georg. :aye:

:)

Or your Lange Reihe, for that matter.

Oh the endless hilarity. :(:scratchhead:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually looking at the details it's just smoke and mirrors, but with the added bonus of being heavily paid for till at least 2015.

Whatever happened to Prudence Brown (and the case of the disappearing Gold reserves)?

And now they've found treasury details that suggest VAT will be going up to at least 18.5% permanently from 2010. :lol:

I'm willing to believe that was just one of the many proposals they considered. Unfortunately, that says as much about them as an actual plan to hike VAT would.

And now they've found treasury details that suggest VAT will be going up to at least 18.5% permanently from 2010. :lol:

I'm willing to believe that was just one of the many proposals they considered. Unfortunately, that says as much about them as an actual plan to hike VAT would.

I thought they might bump it right up for a few years then "lower" it again to 18-19% permanently.

They've been wanting to raise it for years (just that VAT is a very hard one to justify raising), and now they have the chance.

A very short term cut followed by a rise that people will be paying for as long as they live, politically astute so long as the public don't get wind of it (or rather no one explains the maths of it to them at least).

I thought they might bump it right up for a few years then "lower" it again to 18-19% permanently.

They've been wanting to raise it for years (just that VAT is a very hard one to justify raising), and now they have the chance.

A very short term cut followed by a rise that people will be paying for as long as they live, politically astute so long as the public don't get wind of it (or rather no one explains the maths of it to them at least).

There was a woman on the telly the other day saying that the cut to 15% will save people "£2.50 in £100 - people don't know about percentages but I work in a bank".

If that's the standard of the average bank clerk, I fear for the mathematical nous of the mere plebs.

There was a woman on the telly the other day saying that the cut to 15% will save people "£2.50 in £100 - people don't know about percentages but I work in a bank".

If that's the standard of the average bank clerk, I fear for the mathematical nous of the mere plebs.

;)

Tbh 15 or 20% would be a lot easier to work out, hell why not make it 50%?

;)

They need to use "if I have 3 bananas and I take..." or it'll never sink in.

And now they've found treasury details that suggest VAT will be going up to at least 18.5% permanently from 2010. B)

And they're going to tax me at 45% too? Cunts.

:lol:

That's another interesting point, an independent financial think tank has said that will basically raise £0, as people will simply put more effort into tax avoidance.

The people that are going to be most hit (and basically pay the most for all this) are those on £19,000 and below.

;)

And now they've found treasury details that suggest VAT will be going up to at least 18.5% permanently from 2010. B)

That's another interesting point, an independent financial think tank has said that will basically raise £0, as people will simply put more effort into tax avoidance.

The people that are going to be most hit (and basically pay the most for all this) are those on £19,000 and below.

I'd scrap tax for people earning under 15k. :aye:

...and while the banks are stunned make trains free. :icon_lol:

;)

That's another interesting point, an independent financial think tank has said (i) that will basically raise £0, as people will (ii) simply put more effort into tax avoidance.

(i) obviously being utter nonsense

(ii) obviously being utterly inevitable

;)

Tax avoidance schemes are a lot less useful nowadays since you have to inform HMRC of the details which inevitably leads to them closing the loopholes that you're exploiting.

;)

Tax avoidance schemes are a lot less useful nowadays since you have to inform HMRC of the details which inevitably leads to them closing the loopholes that you're exploiting.

See this is why you'll never be taxed at 45%. :icon_lol:

B)

And now they've found treasury details that suggest VAT will be going up to at least 18.5% permanently from 2010. :icon_lol:

;)

That's another interesting point, an independent financial think tank has said (i) that will basically raise £0, as people will (ii) simply put more effort into tax avoidance.

(i) not my conclusion - an respected independent financial think tanks conclusion. So take it up with them if you're more qualified, they may offer you a job. :lol::aye:

(ii) indeed, see (i).

B)

And now they've found treasury details that suggest VAT will be going up to at least 18.5% permanently from 2010. :icon_lol:

;)

(i) not my conclusion - an respected independent financial think tanks conclusion. So take it up with them if you're more qualified, they may offer you a job. :lol::aye:

(ii) indeed, see (i).

(i) someone a few £k above the threshold will obviously be able to practice a bit of tax avoidance and thus avoid the rise. Someone a few hundred £k/£million will not and hence the point is disproved.

(ii) 'see (i)' being a defective argument. Tax avoidance is standard practice wherever the threshold lies.

B)

;)

(ii) indeed, see (i).

(i) someone a few £k above the threshold will obviously be able to practice a bit of tax avoidance and thus avoid the rise. Someone a few hundred £k/£million will not and hence the point is disproved.

(ii) 'see (i)' being a defective argument. Tax avoidance is standard practice wherever the threshold lies.

(i) I think maybe they won't be giving you that job, you know. :aye:

(ii) again no, which is the reason tax on top earners and large companies has been a taboo issue for so long.

B)

;)

(i) not my conclusion - an respected independent financial think tanks conclusion. So take it up with them if you're more qualified, they may offer you a job. :lol::pmsl:

(ii) indeed, see (i).

(ii) again no, which is the reason tax on top earners and large companies has been a taboo issue for so long.

Neither of those addressed the points at all.

Excellent, you've conceded this one early doors. :aye:

B)

;)

(i) not my conclusion - an respected independent financial think tanks conclusion. So take it up with them if you're more qualified, they may offer you a job. :lol::pmsl:

(ii) indeed, see (i).

Just because I :woosh: you doesn't mean you're right, it just means you have much still to learn. :aye:

B)

;)

(i) not my conclusion - an respected independent financial think tanks conclusion. So take it up with them if you're more qualified, they may offer you a job. :lol::woosh:

(ii) indeed, see (i).

Just because I :aye: you doesn't mean you're right, it just means you have much still to learn. :aye:

So basically what you always say when you know your argument has been defeated and can't even be resurrected tangentially.

Job done. :pmsl:

B)

;)

(ii) indeed, see (i).

Just because I :aye: you doesn't mean you're right, it just means you have much still to learn. :aye:

So basically what you always say when you know your argument has been defeated and can't even be resurrected tangentially.

Job done. :pmsl:

No, it's just what I say when you've been :woosh: and amusingly completely failed to realise it at all (again). :woosh:

No, you'd spell it out if you could. But you can't. :lol:

This is much more fun.

To couch it in the terms of this issue, if I were in the position to want to spell it out, I wouldn't have been in the position to ;) you in the first place.

(think about it B) )

B)

;)

I'd scrap tax for people earning under 15k. :aye:

...and while the banks are stunned make trains free. :aye:

Quite a few seem to think that's the end they should be aiming at (the lower wage, not trains. They scary thing is that anyone is allowed to charge for UK trains at all :lol: ).