Owen denies Capello rift

bawan

Michael Owen has denied criticising the tactical approach of England manager Fabio Capello.

Reports on Friday had suggested that the Newcastle striker was unaware of his role after being sent on as a second-half subsitiute in Wednesday's 1-0 friendly defeat to France.

However, Owen has refuted these suggestions and insists that his post-match quotes have been twisted to create tension within the national camp.

Misconstrued

"It happens a lot in football," he told Sky Sports News in an exclusive interview.

"But I spoke to the media after the game on Wednesday night and I was asked the question, 'How do you see your role in the team now that you've not played in two games consecutively?'

"I said that's a question you'll have to ask the manager.

"However subsequently in the papers that's been misconstrued to mean that you'll have to ask the manager what my role is when I came on to play.

Critical

"So obviously then there has been headlines like 'Clueless' and all these different words.

"Of course I knew my role and responsibility, and everything else, when I stepped onto the field, but I was answering a different question and obviously it's come out like this.

"But I've never been critical about the management or about England, I have nothing but positive things to say about the new management and to make it look as though I was criticising the new manger was totally wrong and obviously very disappointing."

Trouble

Owen went on to reveal that this is not the first time that quotes he has given in good faith have been used in a disparaging context to create a misleading story.

"I've seen quotes from me where I've answered a different question three months ago, reused with a different question put to it and it looks like I've given an interview a day ago and answered these questions," he said.

"But this is the case when you lose and you are open to all kinds. I'm not sure why it happens but certainly it's caused a bit of trouble.

"It's frustrating that you've got to come out after not saying anything in the first place and retrack and retrace and give your version of the story.

"And not only that, obviously with the technology we've got now it's probably all over the world now - 'Owen having a go at Capello'.

"It's probably a topic of conversation now when it's a non-story. I don't know what my role is in the future under Fabio Capello, that's up to him, and that's all I said."

Mischievous

Owen was also keen to point out that it is not in his nature to be openly critical of management structures in public, and insists that he will continue his fight to win back a starting place in the national team.

"It would be foolish to think otherwise," he said.

"I've always been like that. I've never been one to throw my toys out of the pram.

"I've started my fair share of England games over the years and I'm very happy and proud of my England record and I will continue to do my best when I pull on the shirt, whoever the manager is.

"Obviously it's Capello currently, and I haven't started the last couple of games so people can be a bit mischievous with that combination, but there's certainly nothing in it."