United’s love for young Spanish star

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE are weighing up a summer move for Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta.

A United scout ran the rule over the 23-year-old centre-half in Bilbao’s 1-0 home win over Espanyol last Sunday.

Bilbao boast the joint best defensive record in La Liga this season, with Amorebieta (pictured) receiving rave reviews and admiring glances from several bigger Spanish clubs.

But unless Barcelona and Real Madrid join the bidding, he is expected to end up in the Premier League before the start of next season.

And although Liverpool are interested, Newcastle believe the prospect of regular first-team football with them could entice a player keen to win promotion from Spain’s Under-21 side to the full international squad.

United are in the market for a central defender as doubts persist over Steven Taylor’s future on Tyneside.

Taylor is growing ever more frustrated at Newcastle’s failure to reopen talks on a new contract.

If they do not offer him favourable new terms, United face the prospect of Taylor running down his current deal and being able to talk to other clubs from January onwards as a soon-to-be free agent.

Amorebieta is regarded as an international star of the future. Perhaps more importantly, at 6’ 2”, he is regarded as capable of handling the extra physicality of the Premier League.

And although he is understood to have a release clause of 20 million euros (£16 million), Bilbao – among the poorer relations in Spain’s top flight – would listen to offers of £6 million-plus.

NEWCASTLE are weighing up a summer move for Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta.

A United scout ran the rule over the 23-year-old centre-half in Bilbao's 1-0 home win over Espanyol last Sunday.

Bilbao boast the joint best defensive record in La Liga this season, with Amorebieta (pictured) receiving rave reviews and admiring glances from several bigger Spanish clubs.

But unless Barcelona and Real Madrid join the bidding, he is expected to end up in the Premier League before the start of next season.

And although Liverpool are interested, Newcastle believe the prospect of regular first-team football with them could entice a player keen to win promotion from Spain's Under-21 side to the full international squad.

United are in the market for a central defender as doubts persist over Steven Taylor's future on Tyneside.

Taylor is growing ever more frustrated at Newcastle's failure to reopen talks on a new contract.

If they do not offer him favourable new terms, United face the prospect of Taylor running down his current deal and being able to talk to other clubs from January onwards as a soon-to-be free agent.

Amorebieta is regarded as an international star of the future. Perhaps more importantly, at 6' 2", he is regarded as capable of handling the extra physicality of the Premier League.

And although he is understood to have a release clause of 20 million euros (£16 million), Bilbao – among the poorer relations in Spain's top flight – would listen to offers of £6 million-plus.

Are Bilbao that team that only fields Basque players? One of the Athletico teams definitely, either them or Madrid.

Are Bilbao that team that only fields Basque players? One of the Athletico teams definitely, either them or Madrid.

:D

The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs (like Loren or Roberto Ríos). Athletic only signs professional players native to one of the seven Basque provinces: Biscay, Guipúzcoa, Álava and Navarre in Spain and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre in France. This has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty.

:D It's Athletic Bilbao btw. Not Athletico. Set up by a Mackem iirc, hence the red and white stripes.

Edited by alex

:nufc:

Don't make fun, he's just a bit special is all. :D

Don't make fun, he's just a bit special is all. :D

I assumed he was taking the piss.

:razz:

Don't make fun, he's just a bit special is all. :nufc:

Too late to try and change your tune now. :D

Don't make fun, he's just a bit special is all. :razz:

Too late to try and change your tune now. :nufc:

Eh? :D

Too late to feign ignorance too. :nufc:

I honestly don't know what you're on about. The edit was a boring little factoid I stuck on the end btw if that is what you're getting at. Pretty much guarenteed I won't get an explanation like.

:D It's Athletic Bilbao btw. Not Athletico. Set up by a Mackem iirc, hence the red and white stripes.

One fucking vowel, that's picky even by your standards.

:nufc: It's Athletic Bilbao btw. Not Athletico. Set up by a Mackem iirc, hence the red and white stripes.

One fucking vowel, that's picky even by your standards.

I know. :D The point being it's English rather than Spanish, a bit like (AC) Milan, i.e. not Milano.

:)

I honestly don't know what you're on about. The edit was a boring little factoid I stuck on the end btw if that is what you're getting at. Pretty much guarenteed I won't get an explanation like.

Well you're either putting out a squid-like cloud of studied ignorance and pedantism, or your not as sharp as I thought you were. Either way you're not going to admit it now. :nufc:

Well you're either putting out a squid-like cloud of studied ignorance and pedantism, or your not as sharp as I thought you were. Either way you're not going to admit it now. :nufc:

For someone who likes to call others stupid, I find it odd you have immense difficulty whenever you are asked to explain what you mean. As proven, again.

For someone who likes to call others stupid, I find it odd you have immense difficulty whenever you are asked to explain what you mean. As proven, again.

Forgotten to take his meds iyam. Ever noticed how he seems to do this about once a week?

:icon_lol:

Don't make fun, he's just a bit special is all. :nufc:

Well you're either putting out a squid-like cloud of studied ignorance and pedantism, or your not as sharp as I thought you were. Either way you're not going to admit it now. :D

Stupid? Only Luckyluke because he 1. sets himself up for it and 2. it's true (well not stupid, but clearly academically very ordinary and a probably a bit dim).

As for the rest, when dealing with you (as I'm sure you're only too well aware :)) it's always best to keep ones cards close to your chest; it's a bit like in For a few dollars more only much less cool and more sad and messageboardy. :razz:

Oooh my own internet stalker. How interesting. Just a shame it's a mentalist spaz with a personality disorder probably still living with his parents rather than an endearingly crazy yet attractive girl. How unfortunate.

Still, looks like despite being "academically very ordinary" I'm about to start in a very well respected and very well paid profession rather than wanking my life away in front of a computer. Swings and roundabouts, eh.

Oooh my own internet stalker. How interesting. Just a shame it's a mentalist spaz with a personality disorder probably still living with his parents rather than an endearingly crazy yet attractive girl. How unfortunate.

Still, looks like despite being "academically very ordinary" I'm about to start in a very well respected and very well paid profession rather than wanking my life away in front of a computer. Swings and roundabouts, eh.

Yup, seems like I'm spot on, truth hurts I guess. :D

Yup, seems like I'm spot on, truth hurts I guess. :nufc:

Looks like I was too. :D

Yup, seems like I'm spot on, truth hurts I guess. :razz:

Looks like I was too. :D

No that's just you being a bit dim again I'm afraid. :nufc: