Migrant crime wave a myth.

Park Life

The Guardian, Wednesday April 16 2008 Article history

"A wide-ranging police study has concluded that the surge in immigrants from eastern Europe to Britain has not fuelled a rise in crime, the Guardian has learned.

he findings will be presented to the home secretary, Jacqui Smith, tomorrow when she meets chief constables to discuss the issue. Several of them had complained that they needed more money to deal with increases in migrant populations in their areas. However, the study prepared for the Association of Chief Police Officers challenges claims that up to 1 million people from EU accession countries have caused a rise in criminality.

The report finds that, despite newspaper headlines linking new migrants to crime, offending rates among mainly Polish, Romanian and Bulgarian communities are in line with the rate of offending in the general population.

A senior source with close knowledge of the report said: "Any rise has been broadly proportionate to the number of people from those communities coming into this country. People are saying crime is rising because of this influx. Given 1 million people have come in, that doesn't make sense as crime is significantly down."

The fall in the annual crime rate in England and Wales is accelerating, with a drop of 9% recorded by police in the year to September 2007, according to Home Office figures published earlier this year.

The report by Grahame Maxwell, chief constable of North Yorkshire, and Peter Fahy, who leads the Cheshire force, says that "resentment and misunderstanding" about why new migrants are coming to Britain has stoked tensions. It calls for businesses benefiting from the new workers to do a better job of explaining the economic benefit of migrant workers.

The report says: "While overall this country has accommodated this huge influx with little rise in community tension, in some areas sheer numbers, resentment and misunderstanding, have created problems." It adds that the immigration from eastern Europe has been different to previous arrivals, because it happened much more quickly. The report says that new migrants may be more likely to commit certain types of offences. Polish people are linked to drink-driving, and problems have arisen in central London with some Romanian children being used by adults to commit petty robberies."

The powlice are lying surely....? ;)

Won't stop the Express, Mail et al scapegoating them at every opportunity.

I'd like to wander into said offices with a massive water pistol... ;)

The Express was on about this just the other week as it happens. I.e. the supposed crimewave swamping police rather than this report.

The fall in the annual crime rate in England and Wales is accelerating, with a drop of 9% recorded by police in the year to September 2007, according to Home Office figures published earlier this year.

It's probably quite true that the current influx of migrants has a roughly proportionate level of crime brought with it (I've actually never heard anything else on the matter in all honesty either - although I've had a few near misses with some crazy driving by people in polish registered vehicles).

They thing is though crime reporting figures are changed and massaged SO much that it's nearly impossible for anyone to actually make a year to year comparisons, never mind over a larger time period.

It's probably quite true that the current influx of migrants has a roughly proportionate level of crime brought with it (I've actually never heard anything else on the matter in all honesty either - although I've had a few near misses with some crazy driving by people in polish registered vehicles).

They thing is though crime reporting figures are changed and massaged SO much that it's nearly impossible for anyone to actually make a year to year comparisons, never mind over a larger time period.

I can't see the Police saying there isn't a crimewave if there is one somehow. Perfect opportunity to ask for more resources etc.

I can't see the Police saying there isn't a crimewave if there is one somehow. Perfect opportunity to ask for more resources etc.

You should read most police forces "mission statements" half of them done even mention "crime" in their role. ;)

But I don't think they really would even if their were, as it's a double edge sword; possibly more funding but having to admit failure. But as I said fact is with the way crime figures are treated it unlikely that anyone would actually know (barring some ridiculously huge increase that wouldn't be obscured by the constant fudging).

You should read most police forces "mission statements" half of them done even mention "crime" in their role. ;)

But I don't think they really would even if their were, as it's a double edge sword; possibly more funding but having to admit failure. But as I said fact is with the way crime figures are treated it unlikely that anyone would actually know (barring some ridiculously huge increase that wouldn't be obscured by the constant fudging).

I know what you mean regarding the figures but I don't think it would be viewed as a failure because they'd easily be able to say "Look, we don't have the resources to cope with the extra influx of criminals" or whatever.

Anyway, in essence I'm not too surprised to hear the stories of an immigrant crimewave are grossly exaggerated.

I know what you mean regarding the figures but I don't think it would be viewed as a failure because they'd easily be able to say "Look, we don't have the resources to cope with the extra influx of criminals" or whatever.

Anyway, in essence I'm not too surprised to hear the stories of an immigrant crimewave are grossly exaggerated.

Yeah, maybe if they could fully remove any whiff of blame from themselves. They'd refer to them as "extra influx of non- compliant customer units" though. :icon_lol:

I said all along its not the poles, asians, africans you want to worry about. Its the 15 year old monsters from benwell and fenham that stab people for fun and have 4 kids by the age of 20.

Well, actually, it's all of the above you need to worry about equally. ;) (although I dunno whether socio-economic issues have been factored into the "calculations")

I said all along its not the poles, asians, africans you want to worry about. Its the 15 year old monsters from benwell and fenham that stab people for fun and have 4 kids by the age of 20.

or have their kids kidnapped so they can live a life of luxury..................

or have their kids kidnapped so they can live a life of luxury..................

Ouch! ;)

so its not on the increase then ?

Fact is that the amount of people coming into the country, unable to speak English, sponging off the taxpayer ie you, and taking up whatever spare affordable housing there is, increasing strain on public services, is increasing, and shows no sign of slowing down, but don't let what your brainwashed hippy schoolmaster told you influence you whatever you do.

Not just you Alex. Splendid paper the Guardian like. That advert where the bloke doesn't wipe his arse with it really makes me laugh.

Before you start, I don't read the Mail either.

Edited by LeazesMag

Fact is that the amount of people coming into the country, unable to speak English, sponging off the taxpayer ie you, and taking up whatever spare affordable housing there is, increasing strain on public services, is increasing, and shows no sign of slowing down, but don't let what your brainwashed hippy schoolmaster told you influence you whatever you do.

Not just you Alex. Splendid paper the Guardian like. That advert where the bloke doesn't wipe his arse with it really makes me laugh.

The Times wasn't it? The Game section on a Monday iirc.

Fact is I'm not entering into this argument again no matter how hard you try and draw me into it. Capsiche? ;)

I blame Yurop. ;)

Did anyone see Newsnight last night?

Seems the Guardian and the BBC have been caught flat footed after basically not reading the report and going of briefings from a senior police source instead.

So they basically headlined with a load of spin that wasn't actually in the report.