82-year-old thrown out of Labour conference

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

The Labour Party has apologised after an 82-year-old member was thrown out of its annual conference for heckling.

Walter Wolfgang, from London, was ejected from the hall after shouting "nonsense" as Foreign Secretary Jack Straw defended Iraq policy.

Police later used powers under the Terrorism Act to prevent Mr Wolfgang's re-entry, but he was not arrested.

Party chairman Ian McCartney criticised Mr Wolfgang's behaviour but said the way he was ejected was "inappropriate".

"I'm going to personally apologise to him," Mr McCartney said. "I'm going to personally meet him if he takes the opportunity."

Mr Wolfgang, who escaped Nazi Germany in 1937, is a member of the Stop the War Coalition.

Erith and Thamesmead constituency party chairman Steve Forrest, who was sitting next to Mr Wolfgang, was also thrown out after complaining about his treatment.

'Heavy-handed'

However Mr McCartney said Mr Wolfgang would not be allowed back into the conference, which ends on Thursday.

The Labour Party has a responsibility to remove people who create a "persistent disturbance", he said.

The party said it would be examining the events leading up to the ejection.

Labour MP Linda Riordan branded the treatment "very heavy-handed".

The Halifax MP's attempt to have Iraq debated at the conference was earlier blocked.

Mr Wolfgang shouted out as Mr Straw told delegates: "We are in Iraq for one reason only to help the elected Iraqi government build a secure, democratic and stable nation."

Mr Straw had also compared Iraq to Germany after the World War II, where it had taken four years before elections were held.

'Nice people'

The party member of 57 years' standing told the BBC Two's Daily Conference Live programme: "These two toughies came round and wanted to manhandle me out.

"I said: 'Do you want me to leave? I will leave, you don't need to manhandle me.' Physically, I am not too well, so I said I would follow them.

"Most of the Labour Party stewards are very nice people. One or two people lend themselves to this nonsense.

"It makes me feel that the people who resort to these tactics are very unsure of themselves and they are on the losing side."

Outlining the measures taken by its officers, Sussex Police said: "The protocol in this situation is that a police officer is called.

"The police officer attended and asked the man to wait for a member of the Labour Party.

"We wish to stress that the delegate was not arrested or searched at any point during his brief interaction with the police officer and that it is a matter for the Labour Party to decide who they allow into their conference."

Disgraceful & heavy-handed way to treat an elderly man.

Surely a massive over-reaction and PR own-goal?

"used powers under the Terrorism Act to prevent Mr Wolfgang's re-entry" :D:lol:

It seemed bad when I heard about but when you saw it on the news it was terrible. Especially given the fact he was prepared to leave quietly anyway. So much for freedom of speech.

It seemed bad when I heard about but when you saw it on the news it was terrible. Especially given the fact he was prepared to leave quietly anyway. So much for freedom of speech.

40572[/snapback]

I caught a bit of it on the news at work last night and they were properly manhandling him! :D I didn't see them give him the option of getting up and leaving quietly - they just grabbed him and tried to haul him out of his seat. Apparently Blair has apologised to him and he's been given his pass back. Very bizarre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4292342.stm

The action of over-zelous stewards tbf. Probably bouncers borrowed from Brighton's night club scene. It was disgraceful, but as far as "freedom of speech" goes, it's a storm in a tea cup. Unlike the identity card.

The action of over-zelous stewards tbf. Probably bouncers borrowed from Brighton's night club scene. It was disgraceful, but as far as "freedom of speech" goes, it's a storm in a tea cup. Unlike the identity card.

40609[/snapback]

But throwing someone out for shouting "nonsense" is an infringement of freedom of speech, wouldn'tyou agree, even if it is a 'storm in a teacup'. Not sure what the relevence of ID cards is to freedom of speech though.

40609[/snapback]

But throwing someone out for shouting "nonsense" is an infringement of freedom of speech, wouldn'tyou agree, even if it is a 'storm in a teacup'. Not sure what the relevence of ID cards is to freedom of speech though.

40622[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree, but I don't think it has much to do with the Labour party, just some hired goons not engaging their brains.

Forget about the ID card, I'm talking shite tbh.

40609[/snapback]

40622[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree, but I don't think it has much to do with the Labour party, just some hired goons not engaging their brains.

Forget about the ID card, I'm talking shite tbh.

40625[/snapback]

I know what you mean in that the security were probably over zealous. However, the instructions to eject hecklers must have come from the party bigwigs. It's a sad indictment on British democracy when party members can't even voice their opinions during a speech at a party conference.