Scolari named new Chelsea boss

Matty

Portuguese chief lays blame for Euro 2008 exit at Chelsea's door

Chelsea have been accused of destabilising Portugal and undermining their hopes of glory at Euro 2008 by announcing last Wednesday that Luiz Felipe Scolari would leave for Stamford Bridge after his involvement at the tournament had ended.

"It wasn't the best moment for us and for Chelsea to announce Scolari's appointment," said Gilberto Madail, the president of the Portuguese Football Federation, in the wake of his team's 3-2 quarter-final defeat by Germany on Thursday night.

"I know Scolari had nothing to do with it and I was surprised not by the appointment, because Scolari is a great coach, but at the timing chosen. I wish Chelsea would have consulted us before so that we could have chosen a better time."

Chelsea, however, were bewildered by Madail's words. "We did everything above board and correctly," said a club spokesman. "It was the appropriate time for both parties to announce it and it had been agreed in advance. The PFF were informed."

The timing of any announcement during the tournament was always likely to be problematic and it is understood that Scolari gave Chelsea the green light to go public once Portugal had secured safe passage from the group stage. The 3-1 win over the Czech Republic confirmed their progress on June 11 and, hours later, Chelsea issued their statement. Although Portugal subsequently lost their final group game to Switzerland and the quarter-final with Germany, Scolari insisted that the Chelsea sideshow had nothing to do with the defeats. "If I hadn't announced I was going to Chelsea, we would still have lost the two games," he said. "We lost because we didn't do things right or with more quality."

Madail also admitted that he had been powerless to prevent Scolari, whose contract with Portugal expired at the end of the finals, from going to Chelsea. "I knew when we entered the tournament that Scolari would leave," he said. "We respected his wishes. His cycle with Portugal had ended because he wanted a new experience with a club. There was nothing we could do. It was a financial issue, we couldn't match Chelsea's offer."

Meanwhile Scolari showed glimpses of the character that is coming to Stamford Bridge by revealing he will shun the London nightlife and build a close relationship with his players by sharing a laugh and joke with them.

The Brazilian will start his new role at Chelsea on July 1 but has already tried to dispel rumours of his strict disciplinarian nature, "I spent 20 years as a club manager, so I think I know the ins and outs of club management," said Scolari.

"First I look for technical qualities, then personal qualities and how they work as a unit because we are a team. I like to play, I like jokes and I like to work with my players in a good atmosphere.

"But I don't like high society. I don't like to go to parties. I'm shy but I have a good relationship with all my players, and that is the most important thing."

By the time he arrives in 10 days' time, Scolari may already have sanctioned the departure of two Chelsea players, with Claude Makelele thought to be keen on a return to France with Paris St-Germain and Shaun Wright-Phillips understood to be on the brink of agreeing a £10m switch to Portsmouth. The England player found himself out of favour at Chelsea under Grant and played little part in their Champions League campaign.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic