England versus South Africa

Tooj

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to Test Match Special on the radio for the last couple of days. Boycott's blunt, to the point views are tremendous, although I think getting him onto the subject of apartheid might have been a bit of a gamble!

I've been watching it on Sky so not listening to TMS today, what did he say? Usually one of the most knowledgable, fair, entertaining and (famously) to the point pundits there is.

Imagine the scene; Durham V Derbyshire at the Riverside mid-90's, the two crappest county teams in the country. Derbyshire had batted all day and were down to their last wicket..and it was Devon Malcolm. Devon walks to the crease..and 10 seconds later he's walking back towards the pavilion with his wickets skittled. To be fair, he was laughing along with the rest of us.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

I once saw Dev bat... was against Australia at Trent Bridge. I think he smashed McGrath for a few boundaries before losing his off stump, classic tailend batting.

This test is dribbling to a close, with the pitch playing a part. There's been no result at Lord's, or indeed London, since we lost to Australia in 2005. Five draws in a row at headquarters. By comparison, there have been three draws at Headingley in the last 28 years.

Flintoff to play on Friday.

Personally I think it's time for a Harmison recall, he's been fucking quality for Durham this season. 12 overs 2-17 so far today.

Same here. The bowling attack lacks the pace and aggression Harmison provides. I have to admit I wonder if Broad will end up staying in the team for his batting, because I'm not too impressed by his bowling so far. He'll only get better mind.

Pollock was singing his praises the other day apparently. Trouble is, he's so fucking laid back he's practically horizontal. But if he does get back in I'd like to think he'd really fight and work hard to hang onto his England place. I think England could do with him this winter in the Windies too.

I'm all for Harmison coming back into the team like, been saying it for a while, just our bowling at the moment doesn't really have that bit extra, it's lacking something, which a motivated Harmison could bring to it.

Personally I think it's time for a Harmison recall, he's been fucking quality for Durham this season. 12 overs 2-17 so far today.

Boycott said the same in the Telegraph this morning. We could do with his pace.

Have you seen him bowl? Because in the past he's taken stacks of wickets at county level despite his radar being all over the shop, but manages to send down one ball every now and then that will be enough to dismiss your county journeyman but won't trouble a test batsman, then when he plays in tests he's surprisingly not that effective. Also, how quick is he bowling? He was struggling to make 80 mph in his last test.

If he's back in business then we really do need some genuine pace and hostility back in the bowling so I'd like to see him back, but only if he's bowling well and bowling fast. I'd rather see Simon Jones back first though. Flintoff hasn't exactly been setting the county scene alight either, but he can't be any worse than Collingwood.

Have you seen him bowl? Because in the past he's taken stacks of wickets at county level despite his radar being all over the shop, but manages to send down one ball every now and then that will be enough to dismiss your county journeyman but won't trouble a test batsman, then when he plays in tests he's surprisingly not that effective. Also, how quick is he bowling? He was struggling to make 80 mph in his last test.

If he's back in business then we really do need some genuine pace and hostility back in the bowling so I'd like to see him back, but only if he's bowling well and bowling fast. I'd rather see Simon Jones back first though. Flintoff hasn't exactly been setting the county scene alight either, but he can't be any worse than Collingwood.

Harmison is bowling fast and accurately this season rather than just buying wickets and having a bit of luck.

Actually, yes I have. I've attended nearly every Durham game at CLS in the past two months, as well as having reports off my friends who saw him play at Headingley. According to the speedometer at the last T20, he was bowling upwards of 86mph every ball - the speed required for a test quicky. Dismissing the County "Journeymen", would these be the likes of Marcus Trescothick, Rob Key, Justin Langer, Ian Blackwell, Justin Kemp, Jon Denly, Tim Bresnan, Michael Vaughan and Anthony McGrath? All good quality batsmen whom Harmy has sent packing in the last month or so.

17-5-31-2 yesterday also shows that his consistency and control is back. To go for less than 2 an over in the modern game is very impressive.

RE: Simon Jones, I fully agree with you. I'd love to see him back in the Test team, alongside Flintoff and Harmison. Maybe that's just the 2005 romance coming back. But 3 wickets in 6 sessions on the last two days of a very winnable Test Match is just not good enough.

Edited by smoggeordie

Actually, yes I have. I've attended nearly every Durham game at CLS in the past two months, as well as having reports off my friends who saw him play at Headingley. According to the speedometer at the last T20, he was bowling upwards of 86mph every ball - the speed required for a test quicky. Dismissing the County "Journeymen", would these be the likes of Marcus Trescothick, Rob Key, Justin Langer, Ian Blackwell, Justin Kemp, Jon Denly, Tim Bresnan, Michael Vaughan and Anthony McGrath? All good quality batsmen whom Harmy has sent packing in the last month or so.

17-5-31-2 yesterday also shows that his consistency and control is back. To go for less than 2 an over in the modern game is very impressive.

RE: Simon Jones, I fully agree with you. I'd love to see him back in the Test team, alongside Flintoff and Harmison. Maybe that's just the 2005 romance coming back. But 3 wickets in 6 sessions on the last two days or a very winnable Test Match is just not good enough.

Been saying the exact same meself for a canny while. :D

No, his figures don't really show anything, that was my point. But you say you've seen him bowl well, so that's encouraging.

I've been saying all along that Pattinson should be in the team.

Wait, I've never heard of him. Slightly odd selection, especially when you look at the stats the Guardian have provided me with:

Steve Harmison 286 overs - 37 wickets @ 22.54.

Pattinson 197 overs - 29 wickets @ 20.86.

Simon Jones116 overs - 29 wickets @ 13.27.

Matthew Hoggard 198 overs - 25 wickets @ 23.76.

(From first class bowling this season.)