South Ossetia

Rob W

Rhetorical question really KCG. It's just ironic to see certain countries getting on their high horse about this. Because lets be honest, people are just shitting it about the rise and rise of Russia. Which is, funnily enough, no more democratic than it ever was.

The rise of Russia is really nothing spectacular. Their economy has a false bottom and the government is fake. People see that the GDP grew, yet they fail work on the inflation and are forced freeze food prices. Not diversifying their economy is going to do them in at some point in the near future.

So long as they have oil they will stay afloat.

Not sure who these days has a diversifyied economy. Military arms complex yes...making bits of plastic yes...

Yes. AbsolutKazakh probably knows about the topic more than I, but Russia has enormous amounts of natural resources. She can survive on this alone imo, although I have no idea how big there reserves are, but I'm pretty sure they have many untapped resources they can exploit in the future.

Sure Russia may have no manufacturing industries (apart from a military one obviously) that can boost its economy like China, nor a strong finance sector but it doesn't need one. I could be wrong though. Time will tell, and if they do go bust and nationalism really gets into the psyche of the everyday Russian, we could really find ourselves in a new Cold War, if that hasn't already started already.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhetorical question really KCG. It's just ironic to see certain countries getting on their high horse about this. Because lets be honest, people are just shitting it about the rise and rise of Russia. Which is, funnily enough, no more democratic than it ever was.

The rise of Russia is really nothing spectacular. Their economy has a false bottom and the government is fake. People see that the GDP grew, yet they fail work on the inflation and are forced freeze food prices. Not diversifying their economy is going to do them in at some point in the near future.

If you say so. I think Europe and its natural gas demands over the next few decades may prove that wrong.

Perhaps I need to define what it means to have a false bottom :icon_lol:

No, I got that thanks. I think you need to define nothing spectacular though if you think potentially having Europe by the short and curlies won't make a massive impact on the world economy, etc.

Everyone thinks Putin created an economic miracle, but I don't buy it. Most of the gains were accomplished by protectionism. Corporate debt is on the rise, and most of the hyperrich are taking their money abroad.

Where did I indicate that I thought that? I meant influence and power when I talked about the rise of Russia. In the past Western Europe's only real concern with Russia (or the Soviet Union) was the (unlikely) threat of war. Now we're increasingly reliant on their natural resources.

Edited by alex

Not sure who these days has a diversifyied economy. Military arms complex yes...making bits of plastic yes...

Yes. AbsolutKazakh probably knows about the topic more than I, but Russia has enormous amounts of natural resources. She can survive on this alone imo, although I have no idea how big there reserves are, but I'm pretty sure they have many untapped resources they can exploit in the future.

Sure Russia may have no manufacturing industries (apart from a military one obviously) that can boost its economy like China, nor a strong finance sector but it doesn't need one. I could be wrong though. Time will tell, and if they do go bust and nationalism really gets into the psyche of the everyday Russian, we could really find ourselves in a new Cold War, if that hasn't already started already.

3rd biggest arms exporter.

Cold war is the only time anyone makes any money.

Russia now had massive energy resources that are being tapped and paid for by Europe. Russia will move into the EU and the final hand will have been dealt on U.S. hegenomy.

They're a nuclear petrostate that has failed to modernize. How is that a good thing?

Why is that do you think?

Because they bank on their natural resources as exports. 63% of their exports is oil and gas vs .3% being high-technology. As they become more dependent on natural resources, the Kremlin has been focusing more on power, antagonizing the west, and bullying their neighbors. If their ambitions weren't so global, it wouldn't be a bad thing, but since they are, it's terrible for geopolitics.

Wrong.

Cause they are frozen out of the Western banking system and financial tools needed for development. This is being done purposefully to strip it of its assets on the cheap and is why they kicked BP out.

It's not wrong. You are in part, correct, but I have seen what they have done first hand. Most petrostates avoid modernization, that includes Russia. The state influences the economy and so do the wealthy business owners.

They still have a lot of reserves and are claiming most of the Arctic, but drilling and getting those resources out is a hot mess. It requires a lot of skill and a lot of technology they don't have, which is why they call upon the West.

Yes, I think the US and Europe thought they would just move in and take the oil and gas once the Cold War ended. Hasn't quite gone to plan so far though.

If you say so. I think Europe and its natural gas demands over the next few decades may prove that wrong.

Perhaps I need to define what it means to have a false bottom :icon_lol:

No, I got that thanks. I think you need to define nothing spectacular though if you think potentially having Europe by the short and curlies won't make a massive impact on the world economy, etc.

Everyone thinks Putin created an economic miracle, but I don't buy it. Most of the gains were accomplished by protectionism. Corporate debt is on the rise, and most of the hyperrich are taking their money abroad.

Where did I indicate that I thought that? I meant influence and power when I talked about the rise of Russia. In the past Western Europe's only real concern with Russia (or the Soviet Union) was the (unlikely) threat of war. Now we're increasingly reliant on their natural resources.

I'm not talking about you exactly, but it's playing up the economy. I'm going to be honest, we were never taught about Western Europe...but aren't you guys also becoming more involved in alternative fuels?

Yes, I think the US and Europe thought they would just move in and take the oil and gas once the Cold War ended. Hasn't quite gone to plan so far though.

Yeah, that's why the United States is trying out Iraq. :icon_lol:

Yeah, that's why the United States is trying out Iraq. ;)

It's why the EU needs an army and not just talking shops.

Perhaps I need to define what it means to have a false bottom ;)

I'm not talking about you exactly, but it's playing up the economy. I'm going to be honest, we were never taught about Western Europe...but aren't you guys also becoming more involved in alternative fuels?

There's certainly moves in that direction but for one thing, 'alternative' energy resources aren't close to being able to plug the gap that the loss of coal, gas and oil would / will bring. Also, after many years of being out of fashion nuclear power is being talked about again but these programmes haven't even been begun yet (in the UK at least) so we're decades away from that any energy crisis.

They still have a lot of reserves and are claiming most of the Arctic, but drilling and getting those resources out is a hot mess. It requires a lot of skill and a lot of technology they don't have, which is why they call upon the West.

True, and as I understand it, Canada and the USA, or should I say Canada/USA also have eyes on the arctic. Canada are already building military installations in the arctic. Could be a hotbed of a dispute in the not too distant future.

There's certainly moves in that direction but for one thing, 'alternative' energy resources aren't close to being able to plug the gap that the loss of coal, gas and oil would / will bring. Also, after many years of being out of fashion nuclear power is being talked about again but these programmes haven't even been begun yet (in the UK at least) so we're decades away from that any energy crisis.

Nissan are bringing out an electric car for the American market in 2010. Should be interesting how sales/demand goes for that venture and whether it expands.

This is a little off topic, but we need to do away with coal. According to NASA's lead climatologist, if we don't find a way to clean up the emissions from coal, in a few decades we will see major ecosystem collapse. Not to mention the melting of the ice caps. Whether it's for political reasons or not, alternative energies need to be researched and employed. I'm not a fan of nuclear power because it's not that safe to store, but it's cleaner than some. Russia seems to be giving up on the nuclear power and shifting towards hydrocarbons.

Nissan are bringing out an electric car for the American market in 2010. Should be interesting how sales/demand goes for that venture and whether it expands.

Not much good if hydrocarbons are being used to fire the power stations though.

True, and as I understand it, Canada and the USA, or should I say Canada/USA also have eyes on the arctic. Canada are already building military installations in the arctic. Could be a hotbed of a dispute in the not too distant future.

I hope they research the Arctic before they drill it. Apparently the life in it has been sealed off for more than 26 million years. They found a ridge that is not volcanic, so the new earth comes directly from the core. It could give us some great insight on the beginning's of our planted. Supposedly the living creatures near the ridge will appear more like alien creatures than what we've studied on Earth. They found a fauna miles away from the ridge that was 70% different than the fauna in the Atlantic and Pacific. It's a very interesting area, so for the sake of science and our understanding, please don't ruin it. ;)

Anyways, they could divide it up and there would still be plenty of oil to make the three happy...but we're greedy creatures.

Japan has a car that can run on water. Through a chemical reaction, it splits the hydrogen from the oxygen and runs the car off the hydrogen. The future will be very very interesting.

Not much good if hydrocarbons are being used to fire the power stations though.

No, I am hoping it's not a total switch. Hydrocarbons may be the worst thing for the environment...and they're not cheap either.

This is a little off topic, but we need to do away with coal. According to NASA's lead climatologist, if we don't find a way to clean up the emissions from coal, in a few decades we will see major ecosystem collapse. Not to mention the melting of the ice caps. Whether it's for political reasons or not, alternative energies need to be researched and employed. I'm not a fan of nuclear power because it's not that safe to store, but it's cleaner than some. Russia seems to be giving up on the nuclear power and shifting towards hydrocarbons.

The planet has been cooling since 1998. Non?

I hope they research the Arctic before they drill it. Apparently the life in it has been sealed off for more than 26 million years. They found a ridge that is not volcanic, so the new earth comes directly from the core. It could give us some great insight on the beginning's of our planted. Supposedly the living creatures near the ridge will appear more like alien creatures than what we've studied on Earth. They found a fauna miles away from the ridge that was 70% different than the fauna in the Atlantic and Pacific. It's a very interesting area, so for the sake of science and our understanding, please don't ruin it. :)

Anyways, they could divide it up and there would still be plenty of oil to make the three happy...but we're greedy creatures.

Now with that sort of mentality the world would be a utopia and there would be no need for military spending.

Imagine - John Lennon. ;)

Japan has a car that can run on water. Through a chemical reaction, it splits the hydrogen from the oxygen and runs the car off the hydrogen. The future will be very very interesting.

It's a fact that all sea going vessels can now run on hydrogen drive.

I hope they research the Arctic before they drill it. Apparently the life in it has been sealed off for more than 26 million years. They found a ridge that is not volcanic, so the new earth comes directly from the core. It could give us some great insight on the beginning's of our planted. Supposedly the living creatures near the ridge will appear more like alien creatures than what we've studied on Earth. They found a fauna miles away from the ridge that was 70% different than the fauna in the Atlantic and Pacific. It's a very interesting area, so for the sake of science and our understanding, please don't ruin it. :)

Now with that sort of mentality the world would be a utopia and there would be no need for military spending.

Military spending is how capitalism survives.

It's a fact that all sea going vessels can now run on hydrogen drive.

Well, let me go power up my submarine ;)

Unfortunately we'll still have religion-based wars and other ethnic cleansings.