Wireless help

JawD

Couldnt connect today and I've been messing around. In the end, I reset my hub to factory settings, connected my lap top with a ethernet cable and using the hubs IP went into its Admin. changed from WEP to WAP (more secure) and added my own key. So far so good. Next, opened the connection page in vista on the lap top and changed the settings to suit (WAP / TKIP / My new key). Bingo, lap top connects wirelessly and Ive removed the cable.

Now the problem. My desktop, also with vista, Ive done exactly the same but it wont connect. The radio thingy says it sees the hub and signal strength is excellent (Its a Abit Airpace Wireless doofa). But when I connect it says its taking longer than usual and then says connected with limited access. Ive checked and the key is definately correct.

Spoke to BT (Why do I always need a beer after that?) and they think its the wireless adapter is faulty. I can kinda see their logic apart from that its seeing the hub and good strength. Ive reset both the hub and pc a few times with no change.

So, lap top connects, desk top wont.

Any ideas?

I cant imagine its the wireless adaptor because, like you say you're getting a Local connection.

Could it be a problem with IP conflicts? Im having something similar on O2 at the minute. Theres 3 PCs connected ethernet and 2 wireless, the connection keeps dropping and reconnecting intermittently but sometimes it wont reconnect one of the machines because its tried to assign the same IP as another one.

Anyone know if its simply a case of assigning static IPs to the machines to stop this happening?

Is it a case of it'll only allow one live conenction at a time? i.e. if your laptop is off, the desktop will connect?

If so, it may be a case of needing to clone the MAC address of a machine that's working onto the router.

No idea what it was, the hub was v1.0 so old anyway. Went and bought a new Belkin router with usb wireless for the desktop. Now all up and running, lap top and desk top connect fine. Just the Ps3 to add later. Cheers.