Freddy Fletcher

JawD

Listening to him on Radio Newcastle this morning. Didn't give alot away. Was asked questions about whether he thought MA was a good businessman to which he just said he'd (MA) made more money then him (FF) which doesn't really answer the question. Asked about whether the club should have done more to keep KK and then he re-iterated his main point.

That is that the club is vitally important to the region. In terms of the well being of the people, to local business and the local economy as well as on a larger scale the standing of the city in the UK and abroad. He thinks that there should be an amnesty on all things at the moment and that everyone, the club, management, players and importantly the different groups of fans should all pull together with one common purpose and thats keeping the club in the premiership. Said now is not the time for bickering and finger pointing but to leave that until the last ball is kicked.

He reckoned that the time for all of that was as soon as the season ended. Then it should happen quickly and start talking and picking everything to bits so that again, once the new season started everyone was pulling together.

He mentioned that when he joined the club in 91 it was in the same position but a division down (as we know) and that one of the main reasons it stayed up was that everyone was behind the club.

Thing is though, what I see now is vastly different.

So again he was asked about KK and just said he wouldnt be drawn into individual topics as he doesnt think at this time debate is healthy for moving on but did say he would be happy to discuss every issue at the end of the season.

He's a intelligent man who should be listened to. As much as I hate Ashley i love NUFC more we need to back them, that includes Shola when he has our top on.

Edited by bobbyshinton

He's a intelligent man who should be listened to. As much as I hate Ashley i love NUFC more we need to back them, that includes Shola when he has our top on.

Have to agree fella. I could list numerous things thats boiling my piss about the club at the mo. But he's right, what good will it do? It's the usual arguement I have that there's no point getting on a players back during a game, it serves no purpose but to make their head drop further.

If anything at all, this is a time for pushing on together, lets kick each other in the bollocks after the final whistle of the season.

Fletcher was, to me, the reason we got out of the shit back int he early 90s. Everyone lauds it on Hall and Keegan but it was Fletcher who was doing most of the donkey work to run the club as its Chief Executive.

Have to agree fella. I could list numerous things thats boiling my piss about the club at the mo. But he's right, what good will it do? It's the usual arguement I have that there's no point getting on a players back during a game, it serves no purpose but to make their head drop further.

If anything at all, this is a time for pushing on together, lets kick each other in the bollocks after the final whistle of the season.

agreed 100%. at the end of the season we can hold the post mortem and point the finger and the direction of those fingers will be firmly pointed towards the directors box at SJP.

we pull together in the next four games because thats what supporters of the team do. this doesnt mean we support Ashley et al; just who ever wears the balck and white shirt on the pitch.

He might have saved the club but he was a complete cunt who despised fans - sorry if I don't join in the arse-licking.

agreed and accepted; just 100% behind his words not; himself as an employee of SJH and his actions at the club in the 1990's

Guest Stevie
He might have saved the club but he was a complete cunt who despised fans - sorry if I don't join in the arse-licking.

100% correct, I witnessed what a cunt he was first hand.

Rightly or wrongly took the brunt for the moving of people like myself from the Milburn. He looked smug as fuck when he was on telly the day it happened (almost smirking and completely unapologetic) and that's my lasting image of him.

Guest Stevie

His nickname was the Rottweiler, and honestly he was a genuine cunt of a man first hand. I had to walk him somewhere, and all I asked was who we were signing, you would've thought I'd asked him if his mother had been shagged by a black man. One thing about him though, he drove Newcastle United commercially more than anyone from a £4m turnover business in 1992 to a £62m one (fifth in Europe) by 1998, and he did the same with Rangers eight or years earlier.

Rightly or wrongly took the brunt for the moving of people like myself from the Milburn. He looked smug as fuck when he was on telly the day it happened (almost smirking and completely unapologetic) and that's my lasting image of him.

His evidence in the court case was revealing - it really showed that Hall and him just saw fans as open wallets. Without getting all LMish I can see parallels in the regimes of Hall with Fletcher and Ashley apart from the key measures of competence and ambition.

I think his statement in the OP proves that its better to be run by cunts who have a clue (including understanding the fans even if they don't like them) rather than cunts who don't.

His evidence in the court case was revealing - it really showed that Hall and him just saw fans as open wallets. Without getting all LMish I can see parallels in the regimes of Hall with Fletcher and Ashley apart from the key measures of competence and ambition.

I think his statement in the OP proves that its better to be run by cunts who have a clue (including understanding the fans even if they don't like them) rather than cunts who don't.

Can't argue with that, would have the likes of him back in a shot.

He is first an foremost a businessman. He (as well as SJH) saw NUFC for what it was. A potential gold mine if treated correctly. We needed each other. They needed the club in the premiership and in europe before floating the club as much as we wanted the club in that place. I dont think many of us suspected that their decisions were based on love for the fans?

His point remains a good one though.

His nickname was the Rottweiler, and honestly he was a genuine cunt of a man first hand. I had to walk him somewhere, and all I asked was who we were signing, you would've thought I'd asked him if his mother had been shagged by a black man. One thing about him though, he drove Newcastle United commercially more than anyone from a £4m turnover business in 1992 to a £62m one (fifth in Europe) by 1998, and he did the same with Rangers eight or years earlier.

That's where my praise for him comes from...:huh: