City bankers on course for £7bn in bonuses.

Park Life

City bankers are to reap nearly £7bn in bonuses this spring even though the government has been forced to pump tens of billions into the banks to prevent them collapsing.

Analysis of preliminary pay data from the Office for National Statistics shows that in the first three months of the bonus season to February the financial sector has shared out £5bn in bonuses, half the level of the same period last year.

Extrapolating that to the full five months of the bonus season to April means payouts will be between £6.5bn and £7bn, compared with £13.7bn last year.

"These figures are alarming and show a complete lack of awareness in the City of the extent of the financial crisis, their role in creating it and the extent to which they are ultimately answerable to the taxpayer," said the Liberal Democrats' Treasury spokesman, Vince Cable. "It would be outrageous if taxpayer-supported institutions are handing out large bonuses, particularly at a time when hundreds of thousands of people are losing their jobs."

It won't stop till some people start getting shot shot shot.... :aye:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No breakdown of taxpayer-supported banks then? Or those that still made a profit?

We'll find out in the next couple of weeks whether we're getting a bonus - it's doubtful at the moment.

No breakdown of taxpayer-supported banks then? Or those that still made a profit?

We'll find out in the next couple of weeks whether we're getting a bonus - it's doubtful at the moment.

You work in a bank?

No bank that has had to be bailed out should be getting any sort of bonus, harsh on the staff maybe because the vast majority of them didn't cause it, but frankly the bonus at the moment is having a job at all.

but frankly the bonus at the moment is having a job at all.

I'm aticipating that argument - I've already been told there'll be no promotions/pay increases this year.

You work in a bank?

Yeah the London branch of a German state bank - we didn't get any bailout but did make a loss.

Deutsche Bank?

They fucked up with American securities iirc.

You work in a bank?

Yeah the London branch of a German state bank - we didn't get any bailout but did make a loss.

Deutsche Bank?

No LBBW - Lehmans and Iceland fucked us.

You work in a bank?

Deutsche Bank?

No LBBW - Lehmans and Iceland fucked us.

I'm curious. How did your bosses play those events to the staff?

I'm aticipating that argument - I've already been told there'll be no promotions/pay increases this year.

In fairness that will be the case in a lot of places, especially if deflation does generally set in.

Usual stuff about a sound business model, fucked on a one off basis - something I took with a pinch of salt.

Lehmans was a pisser as if they had held on until the US started bailing banks out, it would have been okay.

The US securities did fuck the bank as a whole.

In fairness that will be the case in a lot of places, especially if deflation does generally set in.

All my investments are fucked and my house in England has gone down by 15% in value.

If I was an American I'd be letting loose 3 clips in a McDonalds. :scratchhead::aye:

All my investments are fucked and my house in England has gone down by 15% in value.

If I was an American I'd be letting loose 3 clips in a McDonalds. :scratchhead::aye:

Can I quote this post next time you're pretending to be Citizen Smith btw? :icon_lol:

Usual stuff about a sound business model, fucked on a one off basis - something I took with a pinch of salt.

Lehmans was a pisser as if they had held on until the US started bailing banks out, it would have been okay.

The US securities did fuck the bank as a whole.

Lehmans going down has also fucked up my world Jewish banking conspiracy wallchart. :aye:

Can I quote this post next time you're pretending to be Citizen Smith btw? :icon_lol:

You want me living in a cave wearing a dhoti? :dancing:

You want me living in a cave wearing a dhoti? :dancing:

As long as you're true to yourself Parkster. A man must have a code after all :dancing:

All my investments are fucked

Capitalist pig!!

They had to find a way to take me down, I escaped the dot.com bubble unscathed. :scratchhead:

:aye: cunning bastards.

All my investments are fucked

Capitalist pig!!

They had to find a way to take me down, I escaped the dot.com bubble unscathed. :icon_lol:

:aye: cunning bastards.

Perhaps it's payback for all that ramping I did back in the day. :scratchhead:

If I was an American I'd be letting loose 3 clips in a McDonalds. :);)

That's sooooooooo last week.

The new oh-my-God-I-fucked-up-but-I'm-going-to-take-it-out-on-everyone-else move over here is shooting your family, possibly a few neighbors, then yourself.

Gutless fucks. Whatever happened to just jumping off a building or something? Christ if Black Monday happened today I'd have to wear kevlar to work.

If I was an American I'd be letting loose 3 clips in a McDonalds. :);)

That's sooooooooo last week.

The new oh-my-God-I-fucked-up-but-I'm-going-to-take-it-out-on-everyone-else move over here is shooting your family, possibly a few neighbors, then yourself.

Gutless fucks. Whatever happened to just jumping off a building or something? Christ if Black Monday happened today I'd have to wear kevlar to work.

Little tip...Never shoot yersel let the cops do it. :(

The article states "the financial sector". Banks are just a bit of that. So the story that making out that huge sums of government money are being paid out in bonuses- that's obviously not the case.

However we can be certain that around 30-50% of that cash- wherever it's come from- will be headed back to Treasury coffers- espeically from those lucky enough to take their overall wedge past the mythical £150k mark. I'm sure Vince Cable won't be too bothered about that tax rate from employees of companies from all over the world, who seem to have offended him by locating an office in London and providing some employment.

Certainly the UKFI-linked banks are not handing out cheques- they're sacking people left right and centre while expecting everyone else to somehow ensure everything still works.

Still, don't let any of that nonsense get in the way of the Vince Cable crusade. He'll hop on any story to get himself talked about. A bit like Fop.