F1 2010 - it's all going to change!

JJ

"Silverstone was like watching paint dry - there wasn't a single second of excitement all afternoon" - and I'm quoting a petrolhead mate who was there

There were some good battles (the Alonso/Hamilton one particularly), they were just miles down the field.

The support races were pretty good. The main event was fairly dull.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Silverstone was like watching paint dry - there wasn't a single second of excitement all afternoon" - and I'm quoting a petrolhead mate who was there

There were some good battles (the Alonso/Hamilton one particularly), they were just miles down the field.

I'm guessing Rob's mate was one pissed off that a Brit didn't win it... The Alonso / Hamilton battle was superb as was the battle between Alonso and Heidfield. Agree with the fact that they were miles down the field but then if you're attending the race, you only see the cars when they pass you and therefore it shouldn't matter if it's at the front or further down the field. A battle is a battle.

I thought Vettel's drive was masterful too - OK he had an uneventful race but to pull out a second a lap on everyone else consistently is impressive. What's more impressive for the sport as a whole is that Jenson managed the same thing in the previous race proving that there really isn't one man better than all the rest and that the form-book changes from race to race.

I'm guessing Rob's mate was one pissed off that a Brit didn't win it... The Alonso / Hamilton battle was superb as was the battle between Alonso and Heidfield. Agree with the fact that they were miles down the field but then if you're attending the race, you only see the cars when they pass you and therefore it shouldn't matter if it's at the front or further down the field. A battle is a battle.

I thought Vettel's drive was masterful too - OK he had an uneventful race but to pull out a second a lap on everyone else consistently is impressive. What's more impressive for the sport as a whole is that Jenson managed the same thing in the previous race proving that there really isn't one man better than all the rest and that the form-book changes from race to race.

naa - he's a Ferrari nut who drives a Maserati. He went to le Mans (and my God that IS boring - half of it is in the dark.......) and Magny Cours last time so if he reckons it was grim then I'm inclined to agree with him. basically the guy at the front started his car and drove off into the distance leaving the dross to follow in his wake. The Handicapper should have been shot........

naa - he's a Ferrari nut who drives a Maserati. He went to le Mans (and my God that IS boring - half of it is in the dark.......) and Magny Cours last time so if he reckons it was grim then I'm inclined to agree with him. basically the guy at the front started his car and drove off into the distance leaving the dross to follow in his wake. The Handicapper should have been shot........

Enough said... if it had been Raikkonen or Massa at the front it'd have been an awesome race. :rolleyes:

There were some fantastic battles further down the field - a true racing fan should have enjoyed them.

Mosley agrees not to stand for re-election in October if the teams commit to F1.

And so the back-peddling begins.

A trip to Le Mans is more about soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the side-shows rather than the race itself I'm led to believe. About 90000 Brits go every year so there must be something about it. Magny Cours is in the middle of nowhere and even the French don't like it, so that wouldn't be a race I'd choose to go to.

Mosley agrees not to stand for re-election in October if the teams commit to F1.

And so the back-peddling begins.

Apparently agreement has been reached to reduce spending to early-90's levels within two years.

I'll miss Max, I've got a grudging respect for the dirty old bastard.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I won't miss him at all - been a corrupt bastard from day 1. The only reason he was elected in the first place was due to him being big mates with Bernie (who being the head of FISA at the time was at war with the FIA). Sure enough within weeks Bernie was vice president of the FIA.

Everyone in the press seems to be suitably forgetting when commenting back about the dispute in 1982 that the main protaganist against the FIA was one Bernard Ecclestone.

I hated Balestre but I've a damned sight more respect for him than I'll ever have for Max. Apart from:

* Introduce re-fuelling (farcical and dangerous)

* Introduced skinnier grooved tyres (again dangerous)

* Modified the aerodynamic rules such that slipstreaming and overtaking became a thing of the past

* Banned and then re-introduced traction control (not once but twice)

What good did he do? The only real positive I can glean from all his time in the sport was the introduction of the HANS device. It's the only one that the teams were against but he insisted on it on the grounds of safety. Certainly saved Kubica IMO.

But on the plus side, he's been the driving force behind Euro-NCAP which has done tremendous work in improving road safety, and he did keep five prostitutes occupied for four hours which is good going for a 67 year old :rolleyes:

Glad you mentioned Euro-NCAP and not F1 safety in general. The safety within the sport was at the behest of the teams. Sauber are responsible for why the cockpit exposure is a thing of the past - NOT the FIA.

He went up in my estimation when he stood up to the newspapers, took them to court and won after the expose on him. It would have been far easier to fall into the shadows and slink away then. He didn't, he took them on head-on despite the embarrassing nature of the allegations.

Who do you think is likely to take over at the FIA Craig? Jean Todt?

He went up in my estimation when he stood up to the newspapers, took them to court and won after the expose on him. It would have been far easier to fall into the shadows and slink away then. He didn't, he took them on head-on despite the embarrassing nature of the allegations.

Who do you think is likely to take over at the FIA Craig? Jean Todt?

That was the barrister in him coming out - not surprised in the least that he did it.

Hmm - the name I keep hearing is Ron Dennis but I think he has interests elsewhere so not likely. I'd say Todt is questionable for the same reasons.

If it was down to me, I'd appoint Dave Richards. I doubt it'll be a Brit though considering we've had 17 years with one at the helm.

Carlos Sainz perhaps? He's big on politics apparently.