Doncaster 0-1 NUFC (Full Time)

Barney

This could be a perfect season for NUFC fans. You know. We march back up restoring a little bit of dignity, Sunderland struggle all season with an average gate 6,000 less than us in a higher division, Liverpool win fuck all fans showing their true colours, England win the World Cup, Leeds stuck in Division Three. It could be great :D

It's just felt piss easy this season, which makes an even bigger joke of last season when you think we lost 9 players in the summer, and certainly on paper the replacements are not better than those who left the club. Best better than Martins? Simpson better than Beye? etc ect... we've done it without even a bead of sweat trickling down our head. We really haven't needed to extend ourselves. The fans can pat themselves on the back, 43,000 average gate in this league, there is not one club on earth would get that in those circumstances, if we'd been mid table you wouldn't knock more than 4,000 off that imo, a lot of pride restored.

I put this up in May before I travelled to Birmingham seems appropriate to put it back up now....

Well said. I'll admit [before accadacca etc come on again asking who disagreed with him] that I am massively, massively surprised by how we have done. I thought morale would be rock bottom having seen this sort of thing before - which I have also admitted - not to mention as you say we lost/sold ALL our best players, bar 2. Which only spells out the gulf between the premiership and this league ie Division 1 and division 2, which is miles bigger than it used to be.

Its not all over yet, but a win on monday will pretty much make the rest of the games a formality.

Next summer and next season good old Mike will lose what support he has re-gained IMO, but enjoy the summer while we can.

I'm not so sure we did sell our best players last season. I still see it that we sold the primadonnas who never really showed that they wore the shirt with pride. OK, maybe Beye but Martins (super frustrating), Owen (less said the better), Duff (never showed it for us), Viduka (well past his prime) and Bassong (who was good but I don't miss him) I don't miss any of them and I think our current squad is better now then it was when we went down (Best aside). Passion, commitment, desire and team spirit. All of which was missing last season. Put it like this, if we don't buy in the summer, I don't see us going down next season from the PL. It won't be pretty, but we won't go down.

the situation within the club, the change in manager ie the loss of Keegan and the circumstances, all contributed to the poor performance of some of those players.

I argued at the beginning of LAST season, that if the owner had even just backed KK moderately well, and kept the players he wanted, we would have been knocking on the door of europe.

Instead, he sold some of the high earners, and some players who would still be playing in the first team now ie Beye, Bassong, Milner, Given, zoggy and would all have been major figures in a team of Keegans. We would not have been relegated if we had kept those players. None of their direct replacements are as good IMO.

Enrique [best left back in the league by miles and the best left back we have had at Newcastle in decades if not the best I have ever seen], Steven Taylor, Carroll, Guittierez, Smith in the holding role added to those sold players would have been the backbone of a good premiership squad/team today if they were all still here.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be a perfect season for NUFC fans. You know. We march back up restoring a little bit of dignity, Sunderland struggle all season with an average gate 6,000 less than us in a higher division, Liverpool win fuck all fans showing their true colours, England win the World Cup, Leeds stuck in Division Three. It could be great :D

It's just felt piss easy this season, which makes an even bigger joke of last season when you think we lost 9 players in the summer, and certainly on paper the replacements are not better than those who left the club. Best better than Martins? Simpson better than Beye? etc ect... we've done it without even a bead of sweat trickling down our head. We really haven't needed to extend ourselves. The fans can pat themselves on the back, 43,000 average gate in this league, there is not one club on earth would get that in those circumstances, if we'd been mid table you wouldn't knock more than 4,000 off that imo, a lot of pride restored.

I put this up in May before I travelled to Birmingham seems appropriate to put it back up now....

Well said. I'll admit [before accadacca etc come on again asking who disagreed with him] that I am massively, massively surprised by how we have done. I thought morale would be rock bottom having seen this sort of thing before - which I have also admitted - not to mention as you say we lost/sold ALL our best players, bar 2. Which only spells out the gulf between the premiership and this league ie Division 1 and division 2, which is miles bigger than it used to be.

Its not all over yet, but a win on monday will pretty much make the rest of the games a formality.

Next summer and next season good old Mike will lose what support he has re-gained IMO, but enjoy the summer while we can.

I'm not so sure we did sell our best players last season. I still see it that we sold the primadonnas who never really showed that they wore the shirt with pride. OK, maybe Beye but Martins (super frustrating), Owen (less said the better), Duff (never showed it for us), Viduka (well past his prime) and Bassong (who was good but I don't miss him) I don't miss any of them and I think our current squad is better now then it was when we went down (Best aside). Passion, commitment, desire and team spirit. All of which was missing last season. Put it like this, if we don't buy in the summer, I don't see us going down next season from the PL. It won't be pretty, but we won't go down.

the situation within the club, the change in manager ie the loss of Keegan and the circumstances, all contributed to the poor performance of some of those players.

I argued at the beginning of LAST season, that if the owner had even just backed KK moderately well, and kept the players he wanted, we would have been knocking on the door of europe.

Instead, he sold some of the high earners, and some players who would still be playing in the first team now ie Beye, Bassong, Milner, Given, zoggy and would all have been major figures in a team of Keegans. We would not have been relegated if we had kept those players. None of their direct replacements are as good IMO.

Enrique [best left back in the league by miles and the best left back we have had at Newcastle in decades if not the best I have ever seen], Steven Taylor, Carroll, Guittierez, Smith in the holding role added to those sold players would have been the backbone of a good premiership squad/team today if they were all still here.

Yes, now I totally agree with that. Well said!