The new late drinking laws

Mark

The daft thing about the big hoo-har surrounding the new drinking laws is that I can't see them making much difference. I don't think binge drinking will increase much as lots of people already hoy as much stuff doon their throats as they possibly can before the clubs close anyway. Also, most establishments won't open for 24 hours. I heard on the news there are only about 1,000 that will be opening for 24 hours across the country and of those only about a third are pubs/clubs (the rest being hotels, supermarkets and the like). On the other side of the coin continental style hours won't bring about continental style drinking as people in this country simply don't have a comparable attitude to alcohol imo.

60019[/snapback]

Nicely summed up. Also, it's not really that new is it? When I was at Uni in Liverpool years ago. a lot of pubs had licenses until 12 or 1, and many of the clubs were really just pubs anyway. I thought Newcastle also had a few late licensed bars?

And there will still be bugger all public transport after 11, so I reckon most people will just head home anyway.

60029[/snapback]

Are you agreeing with me?

:icon_lol:

:angry:

60054[/snapback]

Don't be that surprised, I agreed with Craig two days ago. :D

My local has been open more or less 24/7 for the past 5 year. Haven't seen any trouble yet, been a few divorce/seperations through it though.

Think of it as a better chance of getting your hole

Gemmil :angry:

60101[/snapback]

:D

:icon_lol:

Im sick of 24 hour drinking already, been watchin breakfast telly for the last half hour and nothing else has been mentioned, every discussion has been on whether it was quiet last night.

BBC had cameras in toon and are going to show us in a few minutes just how much effect the new laws had last night.... hmm a fookin freezing Thursday night, yeah like I was tempted to go out and get bevvied at 3am.

Im sick of 24 hour drinking already, been watchin breakfast telly for the last half hour and nothing else has been mentioned, every discussion has been on whether it was quiet last night.

BBC had cameras in toon and are going to show us in a few minutes just how much effect the new laws had last night.... hmm a fookin freezing Thursday night, yeah like I was tempted to go out and get bevvied at 3am.

60565[/snapback]

A news programme went half an hour without mentioning George Best? :lol: