Then and Now...

OTF

As people have said the main factors were the changing managers, off the field chaos and a shit team spirit all of which have been addressed, for now at least.

Given then (And indeed now) would be my first choice so then wins that one.

Defenders is a tough one, Beye back then is way ahead of Perch and Simpson as a footballer and defender, don't know what Beye is like now as he hasn't played enough, but i'd still reckon he's better. But i'm liking the look of Williamson and if Campbell gets fit he could do a good job for us and i think this seasons Colo will be more confident throughout. Enrique is even better now than he was and i rate him back then.

The midfield that went down was often so slow, one paced and well just shite at times that this one has to be better and with Routledge, Ben Arfa, Tiote et al i'm sure it will be far better.

Up front as we know, Owen, Martins and Viduka looked alot better than we have now and if they played often enough and at their best it was better, but if Carroll keeps going as he is and plays regularly, the previous strikeforce won't be looking so far ahead.

Ultimately though, that team went down, this one won't!

• 4 months later...

With more than 60% of the season gone I thought it would be fitting to check in on the comparison made prior to the season beginning. Updates noted.

Goal Keepers

Then: Shay Given (until January), Steve Harper, Tim Krul, Fraser Forster

Now: Steve Harper, Tim Krul, Fraser Forster

Winner: Then (with Shay), even without.

Update: Shay Given is better than Krul and Harper, though both Newcastle keepers have had their highlights this season. Unfortunately they've been littered with the odd lowlight which means that neither has really stood out as out first choice keeper. Shay is still the winner, despite him seldom playing himself.

Defenders

Then: Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Sebastian Bassong, Claudio Cacapa, Habib Beye, Jose Enrique, Ryan Taylor (after Jan), David Edgar, Tamas Kadar

Now: Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Sol Campbell, Mike Williamson, Jose Enrique, James Perch, Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Tamas Kadar

Update: Our defense has looked quite strong on most occasions this season. Mike Williamson, although not perfect, has proved that he is able to compete at this level, and Coloccini is playing with confidence (excluding a horror performance against Bolton). Now is still the winner, with Enrique a more complete player than he was in 08/09 and Simpson doing a susprisingly good job at right back. Our depth in central defense has allowed us to cope well with injuries and suspensions.

Winner: Now (largely due to depth).

Midfielders

Then: Nicky Butt, Danny Guthrie, Damien Duff, Kevin Nolan (after Jan), Joey Barton, Charles N'Zogbia, Jonas Gutierrez, Geremi, Alan Smith

Now: Danny Guthrie, Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tiote, Jonas Gutierrez, Joey Barton, Wayne Routledge, Hatem Ben Arfa, Dan Gosling, Haris Vuckic, Alan Smith

Winner: Now

Update: Kevin Nolan has been scoring plenty of goals, and his leadership skills have developed immensely. Joey Barton has been a revelation playing in a hybrid right-mid position. We haven't had much of a look at Ben Arfa, but from what we've seen he looks great. Cheick Tiote has been a fantastic signing who really has filled a hole in the side. His sometimes reckless enthusiasm means that he'll miss plenty of games this season through suspension unfortunately. Dan Gosling is finally available for selection so it will be interesting to see how he fits into the overall picture. The winner is still very clearly now.

Forwards

Then: Obafemi Martins, Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll, Xisco, Peter Lovenkrands (after Jan),

Now: Andy Carroll, Peter Lovenkrands, Shola Ameobi, Leon Best, Xisco, Nile Ranger

Winner: Then (if Carroll stays fit/available it would be close).

Update: Carroll has lived up to his promise and then some, except he already has missed quite a few games through injuries. He's certainly our stand out forward with our options after him falling away badly. Ameobi was fourth choice in 08/09 and is second choice now, which is a little worrying, but the injuries and inconsistencies of the three that were ahead of him in 08/09 means that it's still a tough choice to decide. On the strength of Carroll alone I'd give it to now, as the 08/09 crew were as inconsisten and unreliable as they come.