1989/1990

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Did he do the Holte End at Villa Park Stevie?

No but I'm pretty sure he did the Trinity Road End which is/was a listed building. Stands like that are part of our heritage as a country, and must be envied round the world. There are no clubs on earth with a heritage as rich as we have in British football, I say British, because you have to include, Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and the likes of Dundee in there. FFS Dundee were 180 minutes from being crowned European Champions in the 60s. Kop End style stands weren't his forte iirc.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did we have them 'flared' crush barriers btw? Everywhere else seemed to have the same type apart from us.

Most people had the steel ones IIRC yet ours were good old fashioned reinforced concrete. I think I remember reading somewhere in the aftermath of Hillsborough that "if they'd had concrete crush barriers like at Newcastle United, the barriers most likely wouldn't have failed".

When I was little I used to sit on one of them with my dads arms either side of me. He had to hold on tight sometimes otherwise I'd have been lost in the seething mass :D

Me too B) I remember that season 89/90 we played Sheff Utd I remember we won 2-0 and they had an illuminous away kit. They were top at the time and shit. Me and three of my mates were sat on one near the back of the Scoreboard and these cuntish blokes said they were gonna start a Blaydon Races surge to get us off. The cunts! We couldn't get back after that.

I first heard the word 'motherfucker' used in one of those situations, behind the goal about a third of the way up. This ginger biker with a beard and long hair got sick of being pushed around and turned round a shouted "Will ye motherfucking sons of bitches stop shoving!" B) About 1985 I reckon it was.

Pedantic I know Stevie but we bought Dillon from Pompey, not Birmingham.

No greater pedant for factual inaccuracies than me so I can hardly accuse you of that, and yes your are right, came with Quinn.

I was a right football stadium nut back in those days. Near Rainman like stuff if truth be told.

Haha you are me both. I had an almost fiendish fetish for them myself. I bought this book below in about 1995, one of the best I've ever bought. There was about 7 pages on each English and Scottish team and their stadiums, with old and new pictures, and indepth history about them. Must've read it cover to cover about 5 times, and sold it for coppers to the back page along with about another 20 gems, and they gave me £12 for them the greedy cunts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...hestadiumgui-21

51RD4Z8Y39L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you ever come across this book, you will love it. Archibald Leitch seemed the daddy of the top class grounds in the 20's and 30's. He built the main stands at Rangers, Sunderland and Everton, you will probably recognise his designs to this day with a zig zag pattern between stands like this....

DSCF1107.JPG

wfm_ibrox_main_stand.jpg

Don't get me wrong I hate Rangers passionately, they are in general bigoted scum who hate people like us because we were born catholic, and for years openly got away with open apartheid policies, but I have to concede, Leitch's stand which they added a tier to in 1989, is the finest piece of architecture in not just world football, but world sport. Best stand in the world in my view.

Got me on a proper reminisce with all that.

I had that Simon Inglis book in it's earlier two editions. When you say you read it cover-to-cover I know exactly what you mean because I did exactly the same mate time and again. Fucking wonderful books they were. I don't know what format that edition you had followed, but in the earlier ones there was a colourised central section and there was a photo of the East Stand from the Gallowgate. If it was the same as that then it's probably very similar to the ones I had. The information in them was just immense. I had loads of other books which were mainly just photo based (all those aerofilm guides) etc but the Inglis one was on a different planet. I think he did one on European grounds too later (a hardback), also absolutely belting. Gonna have to root them out as I've still got them all somewhere.

Leitch was the absolute dogs bollocks like you say. I think the facade at Ibrox was listed wasnt it (the red brick) so the club really had to get their heads together when they were redeveloping Ibrox. What they did and what they were left with in that photo is an absolute work of art.

One of the most strikingly visual things in those books was how like Celtic Park Ibrox used to look in the black and white photos. Proper European style layout those two grounds were. I like how Parkhead has been redevelopped too in a way but I always think it looks like it's been done on the cheap when you compare it to Ibrox. Plus the two grounds still have something in common in that they both retained their old main stands in their overall redevelopments..and whereas with Ibrox that was an absolute masterstroke, Celtic should have knocked theres down before they did anything else, it was and remains absolutely abysmal.

Edited by manc-mag

Guest Tuco Ramirez

No greater pedant for factual inaccuracies than me so I can hardly accuse you of that, and yes your are right, came with Quinn.

I was a right football stadium nut back in those days. Near Rainman like stuff if truth be told.

Haha you are me both. I had an almost fiendish fetish for them myself. I bought this book below in about 1995, one of the best I've ever bought. There was about 7 pages on each English and Scottish team and their stadiums, with old and new pictures, and indepth history about them. Must've read it cover to cover about 5 times, and sold it for coppers to the back page along with about another 20 gems, and they gave me £12 for them the greedy cunts.

If you ever come across this book, you will love it. Archibald Leitch seemed the daddy of the top class grounds in the 20's and 30's. He built the main stands at Rangers, Sunderland and Everton, you will probably recognise his designs to this day with a zig zag pattern between stands like this....

DSCF1107.JPG

wfm_ibrox_main_stand.jpg

Don't get me wrong I hate Rangers passionately, they are in general bigoted scum who hate people like us because we were born catholic, and for years openly got away with open apartheid policies, but I have to concede, Leitch's stand which they added a tier to in 1989, is the finest piece of architecture in not just world football, but world sport. Best stand in the world in my view.

I had that Simon Inglis book in it's earlier two editions. When you say you read it cover-to-cover I know exactly what you mean because I did exactly the same mate time and again. Fucking wonderful books they were. I don't know what format that edition you had followed, but in the earlier ones there was a colourised central section and there was a photo of the East Stand from the Gallowgate. If it was the same as that then it's probably very similar to the ones I had. The information in them was just immense. I had loads of other books which were mainly just photo based (all those aerofilm guides) etc but the Inglis one was on a different planet. I think he did one on European grounds too later (a hardback), also absolutely belting. Gonna have to root them out as I've still got them all somewhere.

Leitch was the absolute dogs bollocks like you say. I think the facade at Ibrox was listed wasnt it (the red brick) so the club really had to get their heads together when they were redeveloping Ibrox. What they did and what they were left with in that photo is an absolute work of art.

One of the most strikingly visual things in those books was how like Celtic Park Ibrox used to look in the black and white photos. Proper European style layout those two grounds were. I like how Parkhead has been redevelopped too in a way but I always think it looks like it's been done on the cheap when you compare it to Ibrox. Plus the two grounds still have something in common in that they both retained their old main stands in their overall redevelopments..and whereas with Ibrox that was an absolute masterstroke, Celtic should have knocked theres down before they did anything else, it was and remains absolutely abysmal.

Totally. It's a listed building too and it's fucking shit. Looks like a Day Centre on a poor mans private estate. Celtic Park is a good venue but the interior is absolutely woeful, makes Gateshead Stadium look like new Wembley, always struck me as a MFI job. I mean to think they built the stadium in 1995, and yet still they have beams in peoples eye line, absolutely shocking. The downstairs interior I'm on about it really is awful. SJP is like a 5 star hotel in comparison in terms of interior aesthetics and fans kiosks, the interior of the away end at Rangers isn't as bad, but still not up to our standards neither.

Good site this if you're interested. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=326386

picture1234ia.jpg

How the fuck is that a listed building that main stand? Looks like something T Dan Smith would put up.

DSCF1107.JPG

wfm_ibrox_main_stand.jpg

Totally. It's a listed building too and it's fucking shit. Looks like a Day Centre on a poor mans private estate. Celtic Park is a good venue but the interior is absolutely woeful, makes Gateshead Stadium look like new Wembley, always struck me as a MFI job. I mean to think they built the stadium in 1995, and yet still they have beams in peoples eye line, absolutely shocking. The downstairs interior I'm on about it really is awful. SJP is like a 5 star hotel in comparison in terms of interior aesthetics and fans kiosks, the interior of the away end at Rangers isn't as bad, but still not up to our standards neither.

Good site this if you're interested. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=326386

picture1234ia.jpg

How the fuck is that a listed building that main stand? Looks like something T Dan Smith would put up.

It's funny you should mention skyscrapercity like as I've been viewing that site for years. Seems like we've a few similar points of reference.

On parkhead though you've taught me something there as I had no idea the Main Stand was listed. It can't be the facade anyway (which is typically the case with footy stands-Ibrox, Villa, Arsenal etc) because that's a proper 1980's re-clad job. Awful it is. Main entrance double doors look like a garden centre. Like you say, T Dan Smith-tastic-I think even he'd disown that one!

I should have a decent memory of this year as it was the last season I went to games without drinking, (for the vast majority of it, any way). I remember this year more for the away games as this was the first season I started going away on a regular basis, me and my pals from school, we were 15-16 would have a great laugh getting up to all kinds then go into school on monday smiling to ourselves as other kids would describe how they'd watched 'Going Live' or went into HMV and bought some records whilst we'd be running about different towns by ourselves as the proper grown up supporters were in the bars. At the time we'd either go on Magpie travel with the club or go with Value travel a small travel agent on Shields Road in Byker. Value travel also had a shop in south shields and much to our annoyance we'd pick up in shields road before heading down past Wallsend to go through the Tyne Tunnel to pick up the Mackems from the South Shields branch, (they fucking hated us calling them that but we were cheeky little cunts back then who'd always grab the back seats first and wait for the moaning mackems to get on and make threatening comments about what would happen if we were on them in the next away game).

Also in this season we always seemed to be away and in the same part of the country at the same time as the smoggies were and quite often met at the same service stations by accident, you could feel the tension in the shops as the two groups of fans, (especially us kids) were nicking all the bars of chocolate, crisps, pop and just about anything else we could get our hands on whilst glaring at each other.

Think I had my first ever drink at an away game at a bar in Hemel Hemspted for Watford away, One of our mates who was two years older got the drinks with myself who could just about get away with it and the lot of us had about three pints before the game and we were buzzing off our tits, drinking on enemy territory with older Mags, brilliant. One kid, (we'll call him 'Robbo', decided to swagger over to two 'Watford' kids on their own and with his three pints in his bloodstream and staring at them asked, "where's your fucking ground, like?", to which they replied, "Ah divvent knaa, we're lost too!", the fucking dopey cunt!

I'll get back to this thread later as this was a great season for me with a shitty, shitty end, unfortunately.

picture1234ia.jpg

I know your comments are aimed at the interior Stevie and having never been there, I can't comment. The exterior however is extremely reminiscant to SJP and would be almost identical had we pushed through with the L7 developments at the Gallowgate end. The rear facade of the modern stand to the right of the picture is almost identical to that of the Gallowgate end.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
picture1234ia.jpg

I know your comments are aimed at the interior Stevie and having never been there, I can't comment. The exterior however is extremely reminiscant to SJP and would be almost identical had we pushed through with the L7 developments at the Gallowgate end. The rear facade of the modern stand to the right of the picture is almost identical to that of the Gallowgate end.

Mate inside the stadium, they have poles obstructing peoples views in every part of the ground and this is a relatively new stadium.

picture1234ia.jpg

Mate inside the stadium, they have poles obstructing peoples views in every part of the ground and this is a relatively new stadium.

I honestly can't get my head around that bit though (granted I haven't read up on it as I would have done as a kid), but if you look at the ground the three redeveloped sides look like cantilievered rooves, yet as you say there are roof support butresses in the ground.

What I do know for certain though is that, some visual resemblances to SJP aside, the materials used to build the thing are nothing like SJP at all. Almost akin to corrugated iron tbh.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Was probably just a case of it being a lot cheaper tbh.

The Parkhead Redevlopment cost £31m between 1995 and 1997. St James' redevelopment between 1994 and 2000 cost £125m iirc. I remember FFS saying that because of the price of steel now, it would cost about £400m to do what we did then.

Was probably just a case of it being a lot cheaper tbh.

Aye probably as simple as that at the end of the day tbf. Just seems to defeat the object though to part cantilever a roof and then erect roof supports inside the stands too.

I remember 89/90 canny well. I missed the Leeds game due to boycotting the game. (Daft twat) but went to every home game that season. The seasons memories for me are turning Sheff Ut over 2-0 at home, Micky Quinn and Mark McGhee linking up well and scoring 56 goals or so together, Andy Thorn scoring against Pompey, standing in the scoreboard with my mates, drawing 2-2 with boro at home, getting stuffed 4-1 off Wolves on New years Day (anyone remember Jim smith being attacked in the dug-out?), John Gallagher, Mark McGhee scoring one of the best goals ever seen at St James against Bradford, stuffing Barnsley 4-1 at home, winning 5-1 away to West Brom, Man U beating us in the cup on the telly, belting 0-0 draw with Swindon, going to my first away game at Wolves. Remember walking into the away end and seeing 4,000 mags bouncing up and down to 'Jimmy smith's black and white army' and thinking im having some of this'. Beating West ham 2-1 and invading the pitch. Siting on the pitch watching us get stuffed off the boro. The play-offs against the scum sitting in the clock stand and jumping up when budgie saved Hardymans pen. Still makes me sick thinking about the 2and leg and the goblin king and the ice cream salesman turning us over.

Edited by SCOREBOARD1

One thing that stands out talking about away support was one of the most appreciative goal celebrations I've seen was at Hull - McGee had obviously started well but hadn't scored which everyone realised. When he did score there was an extra edge to the response from the away fans.

I remember 89/90 canny well. I missed the Leeds game due to boycotting the game. (Daft twat) but went to every home game that season. The seasons memories for me are turning Sheff Ut over 2-0 at home, Micky Quinn and Mark McGhee linking up well and scoring 56 goals or so together, Andy Thorn scoring against Pompey, standing in the scoreboard with my mates, drawing 2-2 with boro at home, getting stuffed 4-1 off Wolves on New years Day (anyone remember Jim smith being attacked in the dug-out?), John Gallagher, Mark McGhee scoring one of the best goals ever seen at St James against Bradford, stuffing Barnsley 4-1 at home, winning 5-1 away to West Brom, Man U beating us in the cup on the telly, belting 0-0 draw with Swindon, going to my first away game at Wolves. Remember walking into the away end and seeing 4,000 mags bouncing up and down to 'Jimmy smith's black and white army' and thinking im having some of this'. Beating West ham 2-1 and invading the pitch. Siting on the pitch watching us get stuffed off the boro. The play-offs against the scum sitting in the clock stand and jumping up when budgie saved Hardymans pen. Still makes me sick thinking about the 2and leg and the goblin king and the ice cream salesman turning us over.

I went to a good few aways that season and it wasn't until then that I actually saw us win, think it was in April too! Remember the jimmy smiths black & white army going on for ages. Also, did anyone remember going to Ewood Park a year later, early in the season it was, it was a truly shit game when in the 90th minute O'Brien scored the only goal of the game and 5,000 Mags started chanting the tune to 'Toms Diner' by Suzanne Vega. Never heard us do it before this game or after it!

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I went to a good few aways that season and it wasn't until then that I actually saw us win, think it was in April too! Remember the jimmy smiths black & white army going on for ages. Also, did anyone remember going to Ewood Park a year later, early in the season it was, it was a truly shit game when in the 90th minute O'Brien scored the only goal of the game and 5,000 Mags started chanting the tune to 'Toms Diner' by Suzanne Vega. Never heard us do it before this game or after it!

I wasnt at that one but I was the one the year after, felt dangerously full 7000 in at least, KK first away game Speedie got a hattrick, and he gave us the v's after one of his goals, cos 7000 voices all sang we've all shagged ya wife Speedie, Speedie.

I wasnt at that one but I was the one the year after, felt dangerously full 7000 in at least, KK first away game Speedie got a hattrick, and he gave us the v's after one of his goals, cos 7000 voices all sang we've all shagged ya wife Speedie, Speedie.

Aye, I remember mags surging to get at the little cunt after he gloated in front of us, he got the stick for attempting to kick Tommy Wrights head off which lead to their first goal and also for just being David Speedie. He wasn't too impressed with the 'shagged your wife' song. Judging by the look on his face I often wondered if his kids looked like their dad or if they looked like Speedie, instead!

Aye it was April mate. Won 1-0 Kevin Scott. Great call about the 'tom diners' song at Blackburn. I was there too and remember it well ;)

Aye, I remember mags surging to get at the little cunt after he gloated in front of us, he got the stick for attempting to kick Tommy Wrights head off which lead to their first goal and also for just being David Speedie. He wasn't too impressed with the 'shagged your wife' song. Judging by the look on his face I often wondered if his kids looked like their dad or if they looked like Speedie, instead!

Speedie wasn't the one who tried to behead Tommy, it was Jason Wilcox. Speedie was irratating little cunt who decided that the drop-ball that was awarded (fucking stupid refereeing decision that BTW!) was fair game for him rather than him courteously allow us to have the ball back seeing as it was our player that was maimed.

That and his ridiculous carry on after his hat-trick goal. He'd have been booked for that these days.

Speedie wasn't the one who tried to behead Tommy, it was Jason Wilcox. Speedie was irratating little cunt who decided that the drop-ball that was awarded (fucking stupid refereeing decision that BTW!) was fair game for him rather than him courteously allow us to have the ball back seeing as it was our player that was maimed.

That and his ridiculous carry on after his hat-trick goal. He'd have been booked for that these days.

You're quite right, must be getting muddled when he tried to decapitate Kevin Brock at Birmingham.

Talking of the eighties, does anyone remember the dulcet tones of Metro Radio's star commentator, Charles Harrison? I swear he'd just tell you we'd scored in a conversational tone in the middle of one of his sentences and almost carry on with his point. Always raised the octaves that bit higher when he commentated on the mackems.

Talking of the eighties, does anyone remember the dulcet tones of Metro Radio's star commentator, Charles Harrison? I swear he'd just tell you we'd scored in a conversational tone in the middle of one of his sentences and almost carry on with his point. Always raised the octaves that bit higher when he commentated on the mackems.

My favourite radio moment: "My God, Cascarino has scored again"

:omgwank:

I think I listened to Radio Newcastle for that one.

IT'S A GOAL!!!!

:)

I missed that... too busy having a riot in the middle of the terraces at the Roker end.. :)