Good (free) alternative to Nero

Zathras

I need to burn a few video DVDs. I'd stump up the cash for Nero, as I've used it in the past and found it easy to use, but I just don't have the money to put into it at this point, and given the number of DVDs I need to write (few,) it's just not worth it.

So, I've got files that are mp4s, and I want to put them on a DVD to play on my DVD player.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps I'm just inept, but I've got ImgBurn and haven't been able to figure out how to make a disc that will play on a DVD player on it? I can build someting with an ISO or a VOB file, but what I've got are mp4 videos.

Unfortunately Windows doesn't seem to support the mp4 format for DVD writing (even though they say they do, and it can play them in windows media player :)

Giving DVD Flick a go right now; taking a while to encode, but if it does the job, that's just fine. ;)

Unfortunately Windows doesn't seem to support the mp4 format for DVD writing (even though they say they do, and it can play them in windows media player :)

Giving DVD Flick a go right now; taking a while to encode, but if it does the job, that's just fine. ;)

Yes DVD Flick is slow and will fill the DVD up to max size. Another problem with DVD flick is that it sometimes produces the VOB files etc with the audio slightly out of sync. But it s a good program for adding in subtitles and easy menus etc..

If you want to save time, space and portability you could convert the MP4s to AVI format with Format Factory and then use ImgBurn to put them on disk. Most DVD players will play AVI format.

Unfortunately Windows doesn't seem to support the mp4 format for DVD writing (even though they say they do, and it can play them in windows media player :D

Giving DVD Flick a go right now; taking a while to encode, but if it does the job, that's just fine. :blush:

Yes DVD Flick is slow and will fill the DVD up to max size. Another problem with DVD flick is that it sometimes produces the VOB files etc with the audio slightly out of sync. But it s a good program for adding in subtitles and easy menus etc..

If you want to save time, space and portability you could convert the MP4s to AVI format with Format Factory and then use ImgBurn to put them on disk. Most DVD players will play AVI format.

Cheers, might give that a try when DVD flick finishes the encoding it's doing..... it's up to 28 hours now. And I did run into the sync problem; might just try again and see if it works second time around, but frustrating when it takes so long. At the rate things are going, I might just stump up the cash for Nero in the end. ;)

Wooah ..I was meaning that 2.5 hours was slow. It must have crashed .. or else your files are massive.

Just how big are these MP4s?

Depending on the files, 1.5-4 gigs total. They're World Cup matches. I was in South Africa and missed them, and I am putting all of the US matches onto DVDs for my archives.